1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Need info about moving to Edmonton

Discussion in 'Indians in Canada' started by depma, Nov 5, 2009.

1. bubbly2009

bubbly2009 New IL'ite

Hi Grace3,

Happy New Year. No problem for delay in replying, it happens all the time. My parents are currently in Vadavalli near maruthamalai (i think u would have gone to murugan temple) and first we were in RSpuram. My hubby is born & brought up in Gandhipuram. I know Ramanathapuram area too as our few relatives r there.

Dont worry Grace ur Hubby will soon get a new job as i heard that economy is improving a lot from the PY 2009. God will be surely be helping u dont worry.

Actually my DH is civil engineer we have started to look for a job in Alberta and that is the reason i asked for cost of living details. We r currently in USA and our visa expires this year, so we have to land in a job with in this year. so lots of tension here and there. Hopefully we should get something this year. really lots of confusion and tension.

Take u r time in giving me some info. If need some info for me so u can mail ur id at myusername(IL) at ymail dot com.

Bye and Take Care

2. depma

depma New IL'ite

Hi Grace,

Long time... wish u a very happy new year! Have been a little busy latey so didnt visit the forum much. How r u doing?

Deepa

3. depma

depma New IL'ite

Hello Bubbly, mary and all others I know

Wish u a very happy new year! Hope al's well.

Deepa

4. mbhatt

mbhatt New IL'ite

Happy new year to all!

5. bubbly2009

bubbly2009 New IL'ite

Thanks and wish u the same.

6. inifty

inifty New IL'ite

Hi Deepa & Grace!
    I have just moved to Edmonton from the Uk. originally from chennai. will be here for a year as my hubby is woring at the royal Alec. Have 2 girls 8 & 4. Would love info on things in Edmonton, indian community,etc,etc. Wasnt very keen on sharing personal stuff on a forum.

cheers
    Nrithya

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2010
  7. bubbly2009

bubbly2009 New IL'ite

URGENT Info.

Hi all,
    I need some info. regarding cost of living in Edmonton and calgary areas. If anybody has some info. please share with us here so that it will be useful for everybody here.

8. depma

depma New IL'ite

Hello Nrithya

Welcome to Edmonton. Sorry for the late reply.. just saw ur post. I was in India for the last 2 months. Good to know that u r from Chennai! Im sure u know Grace by now.

Like u , I came to Edmonton recently. Nice place, still getting used to it..Yet to build a social circle since we hardly know anybody here. Not many Indians around esp southindians.Where r u put up?

Let me know if u need any info. Lets stay in touch.

Regards
    Deepa

9. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Hi Nrithya,

Welcome to Edmonton :) I'm also from Chennai & I too have a 8 yr. old daughter .
    Which area you are living in now ? Do you need suggestions on good schools for your kids ?
    Just go thro' the previous threads on nice communities, Indian grocers etc. Any other info. you require, feel free to ask & we can help you out.

Take care,
    Grace.

10. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Re: URGENT Info.

Hi bubbly,

Hope you are doing good . I remember you've asked this before & even the one info. sheet I had [2005] haven't been able to locate it. I will try to get you the info. from a couple of other sites/forums , over this weekend ok. Have you tried googling for the info.?

I assume you are trying to decide between Calgary & Edmonton right ? As far as I know, housing is more expensive in Calgary . But Indian groceries etc. are comparatively cheaper. It also depends on your preferred lifestyle .

Apart from these two major issues, the prime concern is of JOB !!!
    You very well know our situation in this matter... just 2 days ago, another equally qualified guy has joined my husband in the bench. And surprise surprise --- he is from Calgary !!! He has his family there & poor guy, he is living with a friend here & job hunting & visiting his family in Calgary during the alternate weekends . He says he is totally fed-up & frustrated with the scenario in Calgary & hence took this bold move in spite of having 2 young kids at home. Feel so sorry for him :(

Bubbly, when are you coming to Alberta ? Are you planning to stay just for a year or so in Canada or for long-term ?
    I would very strongly suggest to get a job/sponsor before you leave the States itself. Or at least line up some contacts, whom you can approach the very day you land in Alberta. Don't focus only on these 2 cities.. also keep your options open for RedDeer, Airdrie, Wetaskawin , Leduc, Beaumont etc. & such out-lying cities, where of course salary would be a compromise but at least you can have the highly over-rated ' Canadian experience ' on your CV instead of literally spending every single moment in despair .

Good luck to you dear.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010