1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help With Toastmasters

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by ChennaiExpress, Sep 12, 2016.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

I joined Toastmaster after an IL member told me it will help get over the nightmare I went through in past.

When I joined, I gave speeches, easily from the heart.

I figured, people never liked me, they think I'm muslim, I will speak from the heart.

I spoke about The Golden Temple, Amritsar, India/Pakistan Partition.

Then I was elected President of club by default (was nominated by someone who wants to be in my good books, an Indian muslim if that's relevant).

I chose two advanced manuals
    1. Story Telling
    2. Interpretive Reading

Everytime, I told story relating to Lord Krishna, Karna, Narasihma, etc

But I wonder if the Toastmasters secretly don't like these stories, hence they are not coming to meetings as often.

And I invite Indian ladies from work, they only come when I speak. They say I am a sweet person (but I act normal. I would think everyone is behaving proper).

We need 20 renewals before the Sep 30th deadline, else we don't get chance for President's Distinguished Club title.

I wish to achieve this for my club to prove to myself I am competent and capable person, no matter what anyone says.

Here is my dilemma: I was planning to tell the story of Umrao Jaan for "A Touching Story" Project. I am totally re-thinking this now.

I am a human being. But as President, I need to put my member's needs ahead of mines. Else they will find another club.

Any wisdom you can impart?

2. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

@ChennaiExpress

I cannot help with decision on the topic.... but a few pointers... may be they will help....
    - Know your audience before you choose a topic
    - Share a personal (good/funny/happy/touchy) experience as you speak about a topic
    - Try and include your audience in your toast
    - See if there is a local event or happening and make it your topic or part of your toast

KashmirFlower and ChennaiExpress like this.
  3. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

Try to tell stories which everyone can relate.
    I am sure there are plenty in american history.Or local heroes who died saving others.
    Look at this way.This is essential skill to bond with everyone.

Also sometime try to tell stories which are light and funny.Now a days people lives are stressful and last thing they want to hear is another stressful story or history of another country/religion which they have no idea about.

4. ChennaiExpress

I will probably recite poem from Kurt Vogunnat, about God waking up mud ... It's amusing yet very profound.

5. ChennaiExpress

I will present things from the heart, but make sure it is Universal, rather than saying from this and this culture.

6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You may want to avoid any thing related to God, religion. Avoid any amusement that generates from religion or God. And this in particular, would be a no-no for Toastmasters kind of setting: The Books of Bokonon

KashmirFlower and songbird46 like this.
  7. ChennaiExpress

I think you are right