1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help - Travel From Chicago To Hyderabad

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by durga4369, Jun 11, 2014.

1. durga4369

durga4369 New IL'ite

Hello IL,

My mom is traveling from Chicago to hyderabad through air india. Does she need to fill any forms and follow any process in Chicago? Also please tell me what she has to do at delhi airport as well ( filling forms, pAssport check, etc.,). Please give your suggestions. She is traveling alone.

2. RPVAIL

RPVAIL Silver IL'ite

durga4369,

Here is what you can do to help ease her anxiety (even though there should not be any).

* She need not fill any forms as an exiting passenger. Unlike India there are no Immigration formalities when leaving US. The whole process is streamlined with airlines.
    * If I am not mistaken this would be a direct flight from Chicago O'Hare to New Delhi direct and goes on to Hyderabad without change of planes. In that case the arrival Immigration formalities are done at Hyderabad.
    * In preparation for the arrival formalities, she is expected to fill in the 'Disembarkation Card'. You can help with this matter by downloading a sample card on the net and filling out all the information.
    * At the very least a filled in form can be used to seek help from a co-passenger to fill the form given in the plane. That way she need not take out her 'ALL Important' Passport on the plane.
    * Once getting out of the plane she will need to go to Immigration check --> Pick up luggage --> Customs, in that order.

* Don't worry and ask her not to worry. Go to O'Hare a little bit early and you will see tons of Telugu speaking people on the same flight. You can introduce her to some family. (I may be wrong in assuming you speak Telugu).

If you can share the travel date, I or someone else may be able to provide more precise help. Some of my family is travelling from Chicago to Hyd in the next 3 weeks.

3. durga4369

durga4369 New IL'ite

Hi RPVAIL,
    Thanks for the information. My mom is traveling on June 15, this Sunday. She speaks telugu. She is feeling tense. It would be great help if you know anybody traveling on that day through airindia. While coming here, she got out of the plane , went through passport check again in delhi and got into same plane through another gate. So, I am confused whether she has to go for immigration check in hyderabad or delhi.

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Immigration is in Delhi and not bad at all. She does not have to change planes..in fact the same plane she flew in from Chicago will take her to Hyderabad...just that she has to get off and get on. It is fairly easy!

5. RPVAIL

RPVAIL Silver IL'ite

As I said in my first post, not too sure about the immigration process with regard to this particular flight. As the other poster suggested even if she has to complete the immigration formalities in Delhi, it will not be an issue.

There is absolutely no reason to feel tense and you need to reassure her. As I suggested above give her a filled in 'disembarkation cord' SAMPLE so she can use it to fill the ACTUAL Card given on the flight.

I don't know anyone travelling on that particular day, but believe me, you will find more Telugu speaking people than you need at the airport, on that day, for that flight!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  6. chinnirekha

chinnirekha Bronze IL'ite

Hi Durga4369,
    Is your mom travelling by AI126 which has stopover in Delhi?
    If so, I have travelled so many times by that. It will have a stopover in Delhi. Air crew will ask everyone to get down of flight once they reach delhi and passenger will pass through security check and go to another gate and they have to take the same flight again.Come to customs and immigration check ,normally passengers travelling by this flight wll have customs and immigration in delhi if the layover in delhi is more than 4 hours. but I think there will be a layover of less than 3 hours.
    But, when my parents travelled by this flight in Jan 2014 , the flight is delayed by 8 hours in chicago due to bad wheather and they were allotted a different flight to hyd in delhi which is next day so they had their customs & immigration in Delhi and took the next morning flight.So , prepare your mom accordingly and let me know if you have any questions and explain everything to your mom in detail.
    My advice is to request a wheel chair for her by calling airindia as it would be much easy for her as first time traveller. My mom has joint pains and we requested wheel chair and the journey was very easy for my parents because of that .Let me know if you have any questions PM me your email or phone number. So that I can explain you in detail.

Bye,
    Rekha

7. AlicaHorsfall

AlicaHorsfall New IL'ite

Actually the timing and delaying of flight can be changed because of the weather and other circumstances.

8. suresh123

suresh123 New IL'ite

Durga , What did you find about the immigration, customs and baggage ? Is that will happen at Delhi or hyderabad ? Any information you could share will benefit lot of people.