1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

need help to start solids for my son

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by kshema, Oct 15, 2014.

1. kshema

kshema Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    I want to start solid for my son, he's going to complete 5 months next week. I have big confusion in scheduling time. Planning to give cerelac, vegetable and spinach soup, and some fruits like banana, apple. Please suggest me how much quantity I have to give? Morning cerelac, afternoon fruit juice and veg soup in night? Can I start all together? Please suggest me.. What else I can give and how to schedule food menu..

2. hope2b

hope2b Silver IL'ite

You should not give everything together. Start with one solid at a convenient time where baby is willing to eat. Wait 3 days to check for any incompatibility. If all is well continue with that and then add another solid. Any new item, check first if baby's system accepts. You can start with a tablespoon. If baby takes it well, you can slowly increase. Start with fruits or vegetable purees.

3. kshema

kshema Bronze IL'ite

4. Lavanya30

Lavanya30 Silver IL'ite

I would suggest please start with Cerelac first, you may want to give it two times a day for the first week, and then start giving Vegetable or fruit purees. Please do not give juices now. When you are giving new food, please try one at a time.

5. kshema

kshema Bronze IL'ite

@Lavanya... Thanku... When can I start giving fruit juices?

6. umasivasankar

umasivasankar IL Hall of Fame

u can start 6months onwards .my pedriatician advised to give tropicana 100% and its good .for fruits,.boil the apple, peel the skin then mash n give.u can give banana but mash it n give.but give one at one day

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  7. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations shema! Starting solids is major milestone in any child’s life. Its new and exciting for both mom and the baby. Now here are some general guidelines to follow when starting solids (as told to me when I was starting solids for my daughter).

1. Start with rice cereals; I am sure Nestle cerelac makes them. We start with rice cereals because it is known to be gentle on the tummy and less prone to allergies. Start with 1 spoon of cereal mixed in 50 ml of milk (breast milk or formula). The consistency will be slightly thicker than milk but it will still be very watery. Start feeding him at 11 AM or 12 noon. Feed him cereal only once a day for about 4 days before introducing him to evening feeding (around 5 PM).
    Always remember to feed him with a baby safe spoon. Do NOT feed him cereal in a feeding bottle. At this initial stage, the main source of nutrition is still going to be milk for him. You are simply giving him this cereal to let him mind and tummy get used to the concept of spoon feeding. He probably will end up eating a spoon or two and that’s it. Do not force him. If he doesn’t want it at all, give him a break of 3 days and try again. He will slowly get there, no rush. He has all his life to eat solids. Always remember not to expect him to eat well in the beginning. Do not substitute milk feeding with this solids just yet. Continue feeding him milk after giving him cereal.

1. After you are comfortable for about 3 days of morning and evening feeds (this will take at least a month), you can then start with veggies. Usually veggies like sweet potato and carrots are introduced first followed by beans but there is no set rule. Always remember to over-cook the veggies (even though they say they lose nutrition value if you overcook) so that it is easy on the tummy. If you start with sweet potato, then don’t give him anything new for the next 2-3 days. This is to make sure that in the event of an allergic reaction, you will be able to nail which food group is causing trouble. At that age, if they eat about 4 spoons, that will be enough as their tummies are very small. Slowly they will increase it. Also, a lot of moms recommend mashing the food and giving to the LO but I had to fine grind the food as my LO was choking on food. If you think he is having trouble swallowing, then, make the consistency a little bit thinner (using water or broth)
    2. You can also start introducing water to him now. Just small sips here and there.
    3. I did not give any fruit juices to my LO until after she completed 2 years. I gave her homemade apple sauce, cooked and pureed pears and bananas to begin with.
    4. Also, it is generally believed that we have to introduce veggies before fruits as the babies tend to refuse veggies if they get used to the sweetness in fruits.
    5. We are usually told not to introduce salt or other spices until 1 year but when I introduced dal-rice to my LO at 7 moths, I used very small quantity of jeera and salt and gave it to her.
    Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  8. Lavanya30

Lavanya30 Silver IL'ite

As mentioned by Rakhii, I am yet to give Juices to my little fellow who has just turned two. I was advised to introduce juices only after two years.

9. ladywithkid

ladywithkid New IL'ite

Thanks a lot for the detailed information Rakhii!! You said u started dal-rice, can you tell the details of it? Did you cook dal and rice separately for ur kid? If so how much water did u add while cooking? My daughter turned 7months and I want to start rice for her. But i am confused on when to start and how to cook.

LadywithKid

10. kshema

kshema Bronze IL'ite

Thanks a lot Rakhii.. It helped me a lot