1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help Regarding "home"..

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by anika987, Oct 6, 2016.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

1)I do not know what you call this but the net behind every windows in the house for protection..what we call that?couple of them is torn and I want it fixed.where and whom to approach?

2)also many saw wooden flooring is better than carpet..how true is that?

2. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

I believe you can get the net on Home Depot. Check out their website if they have your window size or you can go there and citing order them.

Yes wooden floor is much better than carpet. You can clean and even swab the floor.
    Especially if you toddlers like I do. They have higher chances of getting eczema or allergies due to carpets.
    Not my personal experience.

anika987 likes this.
  3. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

Apartments had carpet and it was hard to keep it clean. Previous house, I had installed tile, I don't know why I installed the rough one and it was hard to keep clean and was very cold in winter.

Now, I have real wood in entire house and I love it, the only issue is, we need to be very careful or will have lot of scratches and its very easy to see them, but if you are careful, and someone keep the house clean, the look is amazing.

anika987 likes this.
  4. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

Sorry I wasn't clear.. the net is called mesh. Window mesh or door mesh. You can custom order on home depot for a particular size.

anika987 likes this.
  5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

They are called screens and you can get them at any home improvement store.
    I much prefer wood to carpet as I don't feel like carpet ever really gets clean. It is a commitment to maintain wood floors though. We have mats at all entrances and a no-outside-shoes rule in the house.I use a broom everyday and mop with Bona once a week.
    You can have area rugs over hardwood floors. It makes a room look very attractive, they are easier to clean and you can switch up the look. My cousin brought over some gorgeous Kashmiri carpets from India and her home looks fabulous.

KashmirFlower and anika987 like this.
  6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You should get the screens installed by home depot. They are very professional and no hassle installments.

Wood is really the best option in all places except in kitchen and baths. It's easier than the marble to maintain in my house and I have my son! I sweep the high footfall areas daily and have a cleaner coming once a week for a thorough clean and mop. Mopping with bona once a week suffices. It looks great. Once a month, i get her to use the bona wood polish and it shines as new. Scratches especially with things like Legos are a worry. My kids rooms/ game room has engineered wood and that is scratch resistant. It's also easier to maintain than the hard wood. It looks really nice and is cheaper than the nail down hard wood. It's also easier to install - a day vs 21 days for curing the hard wood.

HTH,
    L

anika987 and JustAnotherMom like this.
  7. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Yeah wood is what many seem to prefer but my only worry is the scratches....
    Carpet I feel easy maintenance and steaming can be done once a year but one little coffee spill is more than enough to make it look bad

8. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi OP,

Does your new home have broken screens? or home your targeting to buy have that? Anyways what I hear is - screens are cheaper. Usually cats cause this with their screeching.
    Then hardwood is always better than carpets even when they are injury prone with smaller kids or toddlers.
    Easier to clean and allergies risk less ( but cold and risky )
    If you have kids, put lot of area rugs.
    Usually, homes in US, have very high traffic area ( like fmaily/living room) hardwood and rest carpeted. Apartments are mostly carpetted.

9. panneer

panneer New IL'ite

I have a new design for honeycomb blinds your home decor for bedroom and kitchen used to honeycomb blinds.