1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Need help on calling card - mom travelling alone to US from India

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by gaya3gururajan, Aug 13, 2012.

1. gaya3gururajan

gaya3gururajan Bronze IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I need an urgent favor. My mom is travelling to Minnesota in few days. Since there are lot of transits and she is travelling alone,am planning to take an international sim so that i can be in touch with her through out. Could you plz suggest me in these matters..

Which international sim to take... which vendor has good coverage while travel and offer good price..

Shud i take a separate mobile for that.. coz i was concerned about the battery charging issues for the mobile phone... the chargers we use in India, might not be fitting anywhere else rite? How does it generally work??

Return journey is planned within a month. So i want her to use the same mobile phone for return too...

Can anyone help me and detail how can i work this out plz....

Thanks,
    Gay3

2. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Gay3,

Regarding the service provider,have used Airtel, Reliance some time ago- both were fine.

For the Indian charger, can get a multi-pin socket that can be plugged to a 110v socket - It would be available in leading electrical stores.

If the phone is fully charged at departure, then it would stay switched off during the flight and would be on only when your mom wants to call you from the transits - and it is going to be only a small talk na...

The plug-pin would be useful when she is in US and during the return journey too.

Hope this helps.:)

Good Luck.:thumbsup

3. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

You need not worry much i feel. I too had the same concerns when my mom was travelling alone but booked a wheelchair assistance for her and tagged her with some known persons who were on the same flight.

4. gaya3gururajan

Hi knbg,

Thank you very much. That was exactly what i needed to know, about this multi-pin socket.. Will ask her to check in electric stores there...Hope airtel is good. Planning to take there service.

Once again thank you for helping.

Gay3

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  5. gaya3gururajan

Hi abc00..

Thank you very much.
    But i dont get about what you say on tagging with known persons. Could you explain me on that.

Gay3