1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Need help on buying a food processor!!!

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by rjinsi, Sep 1, 2008.

1. rjinsi

rjinsi New IL'ite

Hi to all,
    My name is Swati, I am in MD, USA and as the heading suggests', I need a lot of help and some info on choosing a food processor as to which one to go for? What kind of blades are suitable for making dough for daily chapati making? What kind of attachments (dry/wet grind)should i go for while making a choice? I saw some names of the food processors on the threads but when I search for it, it gives me different attachments with the same products on sites like amazon, target etc. and hence the confusion. Some have steel blades some have plastic blades. I am not sure which one to buy. Also, any info on how make dough (water, oil percentage etc) would really be appriciated. Thanks in advance and hope to hear from you soon.

2. jaanu_2721

jaanu_2721 Bronze IL'ite

am using a food processor.. but i can say its waste of purchasing it.. it does less work and need more cleaning. better go with our ordinary mixy,,!:thumbsup

3. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

The big food processor such as the 8 or 12 cup one is not very useful for daily usage. I bought the 3 cup kitchen aid model, it does not have attachements except a grater and I use this daily for kneading flour and occasionally greating veggies. It retails for around 40 bucks and is pretty useful to have in the kitchen and does not take up too much space either.

4. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I just bought a Philips food processor 4 days back. I can say it is very useful. You can get the same brand or a good one available in your place.
    I can tell you the benefits of the same- chopping and mincing vegetables, especially onions and greens. Dough for chappathi etc. can be mixed using that. You can even mix the batter for dosa (with flours) in it. Please visit the Ask Chitvish forum and look up the latest feedbacks on the Post your comments section. I have posted the usages too- other than what Mrs.Chithra had given. Please do visit Ask Chitvish forum to know more about the food processor. You will get tips on how to use it effectively. Or I will post it here, I cannot send a PM to you.

1 person likes this.
  5. SimplyIsha

SimplyIsha New IL'ite

hi,

I also need help in deciding what to buy. I am moving back to India in a months time and my mixie has konked off. I can do without a mixer-blender for one month but I am thinking having a small food processor would be more convenient and suited to everyday needs. I cook just for my husband and me.

My requirements are:
    1) Fine Chopping of onions for making smooth gravies in vegetables like shahi paneer
    2) Chopping other vegetables like cucumbers, bell peppers etc. for cooking them
    2) Making chutneys out of say coriander and milk shakes

My questions are:

- What to buy i) electronic vegetable chopper OR ii) mini food processor OR iii) full size 7/11 cup food processor?
    - Should I buy from here or India? (I think mini processors are not available there, so I am tempted to get one from here)
    - If I buy the mini food processor like the $ 30 DLC1 Cuisinart, will I be able to chop onions very finely? And can I make puree using it?
    - Is there a mini food processor which can chop as well as slice also?

Please do let me know asap

Thanks,

6. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

HI Ishita,

This is my suggestion. I f you are going to India,better you purchase a food processor there itself.Now a days we are getting many varities there. and it will help you to get good service after sales. If you buy a food processor IN US means you wont be getting any spare parts in India.One more thing, if you want to take your food processer from US to INdia you have to check the voltage also. (110Volt or 220Volt). Have this in mind and then decide about your purchase. All the best!

I am having one food processor in India and also one here. They are very useful to me. I am using them to cut veg.and for mainly mixing chappati dough.

Where ever we live better to get from there and use them there. Because we wont get spare parts or we wont get service after sales. ok?

7. theamma

theamma Bronze IL'ite

I use a blender and food processor. I bought a new Cuisinart Food processor as my old one died! This is a good one. I use it mostly to shred cabbage and carrots. Its a breeze with the processor if you are making carrot halwa or when you have guests for dinner. I also use it to make atta for chapathi. I have the big one. I had a smaller one too. I grind for vadai, adai and the urad for idli and dosai. But for idli, dosa it does not blend real fine . So, I grind it with very little water for a while. Then I transfer it to the blender grind it well. Kitchen aid is also a very good brand.
    The blender is useful for everyday cooking- coconut chutney, koottu and grinding rice. I make the dosai milagai podi in the blender or processor. Osterizer is a good brand and so is the Sears Kenmore blender.

8. clarencealvin

clarencealvin New IL'ite

Hi
    Im using Hamilton Beach food processor from 2 years ...till now i didn't face any problems with this and its very useful in our kitchens ..These food processors have more than 30 models to choose from with a capacity of 6cups minimum to 14 cups maximum.Price range of these varies from $50 till $200. The most popular model for this brand is "Hamilton Beach 70595 Big Mouth 14-Cup Food Processor"....

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2010
  9. TerryHiggins

TerryHiggins New IL'ite

Food processor is key part of my kitchen and it has been making my life easir for last many years.
    My KitchenAid is still going strong 11 years on, has been well used for chopping, grating, mixing, blending and whisking etc.
    But now there are other quality options available for food processors. Few of them are listed here The 10 "Best" Food Processors To Consider In 2020
    It depends what our need and requirements are and then choosing the right food processor is viable.