Need Help In Moving To India Permanently

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback!' started by Jasmine88, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Jasmine88

Jasmine88 New IL'ite

Hi ladies,
    We are planning to return back to India for good. I need help in what kind of things i need to take with me, which are worth buying and using in India.

Thankyou soo much for your help

2. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

I made a similar move a few years ago and regretted wasting my time buying and moving anything at all. I moved a total of 22 boxes for about $800 assuming that I'll need such and such items in India either because it's not there or I was used to a brand. But most of the stuff lay unused. I highly recommend just moving the stuff you already own and that too after reducing them to the bare minimum. Move only those which are vital to your daily functioning or hold sentimental value or which you invested heavily in, such as high-end designer goods.

If you are going to be in an Indian city with mostly hot / warm weather, let go of your heavy duty woolens or request a friend to keep them for you in the u.s until such time you decide you still need them. Dump the books unless absolutely essential for kids or self. Get kindle and travel light. The cost of transporting books outweighs their actual cost and repurchase in India.

Please avoid the following - medicines, cosmetics, clothes, plastic ware or even fine china, electronics (unless it's the apple variety), toys, books, bedding, shoes, bags (unless they are high-end designer wear) and perishable items with an expiry date (splenda, cookies etc).

Moving to India and the indian experience is a whole new ballgame. You will find most things readily available here and not worth the shipping cost, not to mention the stress of shipping things is painful. Also trends keep changing and things like clothes, shoes, bags, unless they are top line designer stuff that you spent over $2K on, aren't worth shipping. Besides, dressing styles in india are different and you'll end up being the odd man out wearing things more appropriate for U.S weather or lifestyle.

Also think from the point of sustainability - are you going to be able to sustain your stock of perishable items in the future ? eg: your favorite brand of coffee beans etc. No point in moving anything that will run out in a few months and you have little to no means of replacing.

Jasmine88 likes this.
  3. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

IF you are planning to take your kitchen or other high value electronic items to India, make sure to purchase a few 220/240V to 110/120V AC step down travel adapter like this one. You will get one on amazon for under $15. They are so much useful because many high end electronics here will not work well on 120V AC in India. I remember my Apple products just would not charge with the regular travel adapter.

My sis shifted to India for good a few years ago from UK and spent huge amount on getting her kitchen and clothing items. Most of the kitchen stuff came broken in the shipment and she never really used the clothes. But few of my nephew's toys were a must for her to get. Otherwise, it was tough for her to settle him down in initial days in India. Also, she bought their regular food supplements, vitamins before leaving from UK to last them for at least a year. Within the next year, she found a good replacement of those in the local market, and didn't have to worry about my nephew's allergies to certain foods. Hope it helps!

Jasmine88 likes this.
  4. Sc222

Sc222 Junior IL'ite

You are lucky. I wish I could move back. Google r2iforums which will help you. It is a site dedicated to people like you, returning to India 3 (r2i, get it?)

Jasmine88 likes this.
  5. Jasmine88

Jasmine88 New IL'ite

thankyou Sc222, yah i get it...i had a look to that forum and it is very helpful.