Need help ..how to teach kid to read in English

Discussion in 'Indians in Switzerland' started by Kita, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Kita

Kita Senior IL'ite

Hello everyone,

I live outside India.i have a kid who is in sr.kg and goes to local school where they don't have English.

i try to cover Indian studies at home, my kid speaks and understand English ,but not able to read...

please help.

2. ammulur

ammulur Platinum IL'ite

Bring some English books which has pictures in it. It will help him to grasp the picture and understand more.

3. Kita

Kita Senior IL'ite

Dear ammuluar,

Thank you so much.......for your advise...

4. god2014

god2014 Gold IL'ite

You can also stick pictures and posters so that he sees it and begin to understand....

5. EstherJeba

EstherJeba Senior IL'ite

Hello friend,
    Try to get picture books(the one with colorful and words printed on it). At first make the child to see the pictures, let your son enjoy seeing it. Then make him point out and say aloud the alphabet.Then you can teach him to pronounce the word by pointing to the picture(maybe five or ten words a day based on his ability). Please make him to do it in a playful way so that he will learn it by heart without much difficulty.
    Later on, after making him learn all those words, you can try playing word building(you may tell a word from that book and your son can tell a word with your word's ending letter should be your son's beginning word(eg, bat.....tap....pit...top) Let the words be very simple and easy...(at first, try using words given in that book later on, you may include other words)....
    I hope you will find it useful but sorrrrrryyyyy for lonnnnnggggg post:)

6. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Hello,

for reading english, it is important that they recognise the alphabet by its sound rather than the name. Aa instead of the letter a. In the uk, they discourage teaching of the letter as abc and instead rely on only phonics. I have come across too many (for my liking, that is) indian kids who lag behind in reading because their parents taught the letter instead of the sounds... My dd who is 3 only knows the lower case of letters by their sounds rather than their names.

You can check out websites like starfall to teach phonics or apps (one with Abby the monkey is awesome)

by the way unless you are returning to India, why bother with English? They will eventually learn it in school; right? If his medium of instruction is German, he should be able to learn English phonics quickly as English is also Germanic. However he will need to watch his spellings in the language of instruction in school and not get confused with English...

In case you are returning to India, you good also check with his teachers/ special needs co-ordinators in school about how they can help you. They might have good suggestions for you from experience.

7. Kita

Kita Senior IL'ite

Dear all ,
    thank you so much for your answers...each answer has encouraged me and has given lots of idea ....
    thank you all

1 person likes this.
  8. meenakshirajan

meenakshirajan Silver IL'ite

Hi Kita,
    I have heard about Key Words with Peter and Jane. Just browse. You will get an idea.