1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help Communicating my feelings to husband without a fight

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Worldtraveller, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Worldtraveller

Worldtraveller Junior IL'ite

Someone said it right " blood is thicker than any other relationship, even if its a soulmate relationship with the spouse"

I have a lot of issues in my marriage mainly arising because of inlaws, husband mean nature towards my family . My husband is like a girl- jealous if I spend more time talking to my family, comparing and preaching me on how I shall treat both side of the parents equally which I did and still does to avoid any fights between us. My inlaws also turned out to be very manipulative, so things got worse...i have a mamma;s boy who does everything for his family and thinks that his mom can never be wrong .

When we got married, I came to US from India.It was huge chnage and I used to feel alone and these problems added fuel to the fire. Whenever I would tell my husband ho lonely I feel, and want to go visit my family , his answer used to be I'm also away from my family just like ur's...I mean he was here since past 10 years and got used to the culture here for me it was a big shock at that time. Today I love it here and if asked will not moved back to India.

But during that time, he was rude to me .I got no emotional support. At that time, skype was not there at my parents end and phone calls used to be like once or twice a week. So i expected him to be supportive to me .
    Now the situation is that his sister has moved to US and she feels lonely the same way. Though , she taks to my inlaws ateast 2 times a day, she has reatives, cousins, brother here to call anytime....
    My husband tells me how lonely she feels etc etc ....and is very supportive of how far she is from parents .....

So far I just said, yes I know it can get depressing but i really want to tell him that he was not at all supportive towards his wife, but for his sister all the emotions are in the air....he used to tell me, I'm also here without parents, but this he would never say to his sister ...instead feel bad that she is feeling lonely...

In this marriage, I have learned to compromise and just keep myself happy. But situations ike these remidn me of everything I went through and i have this urge to tell my husband so that he realize this and may be not repeat ths ever in our life ahead. But i dnt know how to do this ...or say this withouht offending him...

2. HasteRaho

HasteRaho Platinum IL'ite

I understand how it must hurt you to not have your husband be as attentive and supportive towards you in the manner that he is towards his own family.

In instances like those, whether it's us being criticized for being close to our own family or whether we criticize others for being close to theirs…one thing we must always remind ourselves of is:
    "Why not?" You grew up with your family. Your parents raised you. You would never stand to see them or your relationship with them be insulted or criticized. To subscribe to the notion of "the boy and his family are everything" the moment a girl gets married and that she herself along with her family is a "second class citizen" is archaic and foolish and should not be encouraged by us (as the women) or by our families. Relationships take time, effort, trust and honesty. They don't just "magically" happen overnight. The relationship with our spouse and their family is no less different.

With that said, it's going to be tricky to explain your disappointment with him without coming across as petty or comparing yourself to other people/women in his life. Allow him to be the brother that he is. Just because the other has made a mistake, you are better because you are aware of it and therefore, should not be the one to perpetuate it or make him feel guilty for helping her.

On the other hand, I see this as an opportunity for you to improve your relationship with your husband and his family.

I don't know if his sister is married our coming out here completely alone (which is scarier and more drastic for someone transitioning to a new country). I were in your shoes, I'd probably tell him something along the lines of "I understand very well what she is going through. The move out here was incredibly hard and sudden for me and I wish I had someone who would have supported me during the major transition when I first came out here for the first time. She is lucky to have her brother here to care for her and we should help her through this."

Again, try not to project negativity if you can. It's hard, but I am a believer that you will receive what you project out (from within). Try your best to treat him/his family as your own by being supportive of him, and his relationship with his family. Request he be the same with you and yours. I have been doing the same (and believe me, it has NOT been easy) and even during adverse situations, I've only been able to come out having a stronger bond with my husband, the majority of his family and even my own.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    2 people like this.
  3. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

Just say it. There is no other way to express your feeling of hurt without hurting him. Whether he repeats it or not, he should know how it hurt you. When he can console his sister, the same rule applies for you.

4 people like this.
  4. heron

heron Platinum IL'ite

say "I totally understand how your sis feels, I was in same otherwise worse situation...good that she atleast has a support...unlike me"...

Be ready for an argument...and oh baby how I wish you win it.

4 people like this.
  5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Agree with rose and heron.Don't make a big issue of it but get it off your chest.It's not such a big thing...he should be able to take it.
    Something like"I wish you had felt the same for me when I was in the same boat"....or "different rules for different people."

If he wants to fight because of the comment....just ignore and walk away. If you don't tell the guys, they live in the belief that they do nothing wrong.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. superwoman09

superwoman09 Gold IL'ite

Sometimes guys do not know what to say when they see a person crying or feeling sad. Maybe he told that to you when you were feeling down because he did not know of any other way to soothe your nerves or to make you feel better. Yes I know it hurts, I have been through that phase too of settling down temporarily in a new country with no one to talk to or share feelings with but slowly over time one gets used to it as you did now. Try to remove that feeling of yours, it will hamper you and your relationship with your DH. Maybe after seeing your emotions he got to know how even after having everything married ladies feel and want contact with their own family and so he must be feeling extra careful for his sister.

7. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

Eggjactly...
    My MIL displays her feelings with a sad tone and shows how disappointed or hurt she was...BAM!!!..that registers straight into DH's heart..
    By my venting\shouting\arguing same point....brings out smoke from eyes,ears..and results in a burnt situation...But do I care??...No..cuz its me..and its my style to argue..
    yes..there will be silent treatment and resentment for few hours\days...but..thats ok..unless we tell them..they don't get it..

1 person likes this.
  8. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

Re: Blood is thicker than any other relation.....

Worldtraveller,

I feel for you since I was in the same boat....only difference was I was in India itself and had hardened myself to it before I got here. I was in Chennai with in-laws and husband was always on tour. Even when he went on tour to my sister's city I was not allowed to go with the reasoning "you need to bond with my parents"

You are handling it in a very mature fashion. Maybe next time he says that she is feeling very lonely, you can just gently tell him "I know exactly how she feels, because x years ago when I came here I went through the same thing" No need to tell him that he did not support you at that time and now he is supporting his sister. That will make him resent you and think you are actually feeling happy that she is in the same boat as you are. Hopefully saying this over and over will make him understand what he has done.

1 person likes this.
  9. heron

heron Platinum IL'ite

Mango, they know what they are doing , all the way long. But as you said one must say it, then the men know that women wont take all their BS with silence.

10. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

even I lived a decade by closing my mouth just to avoid arguments.

From last one year, I started to speak up and feeling so good. And the relation getting better now. So there is no reason you try to put in better words. If it had to blow up, let it be. But always don't loose firmness in your talk. Be firm.