1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need Advice

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by kcb, Sep 26, 2017.

1. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Hi Ladies,

I need a genuine advice which I am going to follow seriously and sincerely.

I have a colleague (a family friend for years before joining our organization), with whom I had some bitter experiences after she started working with us. I can say some of the experiences are so bitter which pinches me so much even today if I recollect. I do not want to go into details as it will become a very lengthy story. But overall I realized she cannot see the truth, very calculative and biased in passing the opinions even after knowing me for years. Just an example – I had a professional level issue with another colleague and this lady’s opinion was so biased and her opinion left me with lot of pain and shock, whereas the entire organization feels that I am at no fault and it was that other colleague’s fault. Not only passing the biased opinion, she also supported / took part with that other colleague in insulting me. I feel so uncomfortable when I work with this lady as I am not able to come out of that pain, but still I have to work with her and had to maintain a professional relation as work should not get impact.

I thought of implementing following options, but these doesn’t work for me -

1. Talking and sorting out the issues doesn’t work with this lady as she is verbally dominant, it takes lot of effort for me to convey my point. Also I feel it is waste of time when a person cannot see and accept the truth whereas everyone else can see that truth. Simply I can say it is like – everyone calls a cat as a cat, but this lady says it is a dog. I came to this conclusion on her thought process especially based on the opinion she passed during the above mentioned incident with other colleague.

2. Changing the job or transfer is not possible, if it is possible I would have done that long back.

I started ignoring her and just maintaining only a professional level contact. But still sometimes I go through mental struggle when I see her, as my mind reminds me of what she said, but still I need to interact with her professionally.

Now I realized it is not so easy to forget or ignore when you deeply get hurt. Also I learnt a lesson – Never work with friends.

Now my question is - How can I ignore her to a level where I can feel she is non-existent to me? I want to come out of this mental struggle.

2. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Since you are struggling with the memories of what she said, write out the weaknesses/issues that she said about you. I am sure you remember them. Look at each of those words, and review yourself about them. Is it true? no, Then no need to even worry about it. If yes, does it bother you, that you have this personality trait? No- then her words have no power, and throw it away, if Yes- Do you want to or can you fix it? No - again, her words have no power, if yes- then use this as an opportunity to improve yourself. I am advising you to take the person out of the message, and use or throw the message.

prestine, sindmani and kcb like this.
  3. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for your reply @BhumiBabe ......I ignored her words long back as nothing true in those words. Even though those were false statements, but still it hurts as those were not true, if true then i am happy to change myself. We are not saints to completely close our ears & mind and ignore everything. My problem here is facing her regularly at work. I can ignore her words, but how can I ignore her presence? Sometimes a person's presence reminds the past.

4. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

"Had to maintain a professional relation as work should not get impact...Talking and sorting out the issues doesn’t work... the entire organization feels that I am at no fault and it was that other colleague’s fault."

I think the best option will be to maintain (switch to) professional communication through emails and deal everything professionally. Everything will be written and it will serve as a proof. cc others if others are involved. This way you can try to reduce personal level interaction with her (especially it it is one to one, not group). If she try to talk to you then request her to send an email. If required, talk minimum and to the point.

Ignore other personal level attacks. Dont take everything to heart. Do your job with sincerity and to the perfection as much as you can. If somebody pass any comment/feedback think first is there any point.. is there any scope for improvement. If so try to do that. Neglect all the unnecessary comments. If you are not convinced send an email and communicate through that medium. Always read /check well before sending anything in written format. You need to convince your boss, no one else I believe.

Be positive and strong, if you believe you did your job well and is able to convince others about it, dont worry about others unnecessary comments. Just ignore it. What you do if you meet a new person in a meeting. How do you interact. Same way interact with her. Give respect and take respect. Always maintain our standards and elegance

Be a professional in all senses (personal emotions don't have much place there).

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    NeetaR, kcb and sindmani like this.
  5. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

Wow. that pretty much summarized why i had to quit a company. I had a similar coworker who was such a sweet talker to his/ my manager but was a real mean person when dealing with employees of her own grade. I am sorry to hear your issue.

But honestly there are only 2 ways, Fight or leave. the middle ground of ignoring never work. it never did for me. Because this issue really depressed me to the core. Luckily it motivated me to work so hard , i mean really hard. I was working almost 4 - 5 after my 8 hour work on my skills. Then i used this to change my project to a different company.

if you cannot leave.
    Sorry, you will have to deal with such people. You have to find a superior in your diplomatic style and convey your concern in your style.

SGBV and kcb like this.
  6. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

So, I assume, the betrayal of trust and friendship is what really hurts. In that case, you must adjust your perception of this person. You are still viewing this person as a significant person. Let that go, and start viewing her as a stranger, a distant colleague who you have no interest in getting to know. You can't ignore her presence, she is a coworker and you may need to work with her, but you can decide on how much impact she has on you. That is something in your mind.

Have you heard of the saying forgive or forget? You are unable to forget her words, and you haven't actually forgiven her for the incident. Choose one of them, or you will not be able to move on.

If you are having trouble, trying faking it. Try faking your confidence and composure around her, and with time, that will become the truth.

sindmani and kcb like this.
  7. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Thanks @DDream ....

I liked your idea of treating her as a new person. Yes, I am trying to do that since few weeks, I am trying to forget she was my friend and trying to treat her just as a colleague at professional level.

sindmani likes this.
  8. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Thanks @lavani for your reply......

Sorry to know that you have gone through touch time at your work place.

9. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Yes, you got the point :) I am trying my best to treat her as a stranger / just a colleague. I am in the process and achieved 50% of success i guess. Hopefully I reach to 100% :)

I didn't understand the last point, can you please elaborate a bit.

10. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

Thanks .
    thanks.

Actually it made me realize, that company is never my friend. I can only focus on my career and that only . It was a phase when I became so relaxed thinking i am permanent and secure. But after leaving only, i realized i was more happy in working in a dynamic goal oriented places. But that being said, leaving is never a good idea , once should always try to work your way up through proper communication because we cannot run forever.

kcb likes this.