1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need Advice To Quit Or Not

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by gladis, May 6, 2016.

1. gladis

gladis New IL'ite

HI ILs Ladies,

I am a silent reader of IL for a long time. Just thought of posting this discussion I had with one of my friend, to get ILs ladies opinion and suggestion. Little about me. Married for 12 years, have 2 kids. I am working in a reputed company, in middle management position. After a small chat with my male colleague, who is going get married soon, I am in a dilemma whether to continue my career or to quit and concentrate more on family. So I have started this thread.

2. gladis

gladis New IL'ite

During a break time, this friend told me that his marriage has been date fixed. So I started asking him about his would be/fiancée whether it is love marriage or arranged, she is working, graduation so and so. I was surprised to hear him saying that he agreed to get married to this girl, only if she is willing to be a homemaker and it seems that girl is working also a software engineer and she also agreed to resign the job after marriage.

I know this friend for more than three years, he is only 30 now, very talented, hard working, though younger than me he is being considered for next level manager position. I have seen him motivating his female subordinates and grooming them to move into next level. But, in his personal life, he is making his wife to stay at home and put this as a condition to get married. Then I asked, why ladies should not work after marriage, he gave these reasons :

First, he said he wants to grow in his career, so only if wife is taking the family responsibility, he would be able to concentrate on his career.

In present office situation, spending more time in office is expected for promotions and career growth. In case ladies are working, at one point of time, take maternity leave, will have to return home early for kids sake, If girl babies, then mother will have put extra alerts in raising girl child. At one point, they will complain still stuck in same position, no increment etc. Ladies don’t put extra time at office, but expect promotion, hikes and benefits like gents who stay up to 11 or 12' o clock at office. When he said this I really felt bad. Not sure whether he meant me or ladies in general. From the bottom of my heart, I was hurt, still I felt whatever he said are 100% true, atleast in my case.

Then he added, those ladies doesn’t get promoted and they would resign, citing family responsibility, more attention to kids, health blah blah blah. By that time they would have missed the childhood days of their kids, rapport with their family etc.. What is the point, rather they must have had resigned soon after family and concentrated only on family and children.

3. gladis

gladis New IL'ite

For more than two months, I have been thinking about this. I am in the same situation as he said. I do not have financial commitment, yet I continued to work even after marriage, despite my husband asking me to quit after my first kid. My inlaws started staying with us after my second child, on my dh’s request. When I discussed about quitting, now DH is asking to continue. As we depended on them for child care my Mil controls the house, cooking, kids and what not. I think I should start another thread on this in-laws issue. I am in a dilemma to quit or to continue. To my surprise, most of my bosses and higher level manger have homemaker wife. Anybody working and facing same situation? What did you do? . I am really confused…………..

4. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

I am not employed right now but had worked earlier.

You have a good job in a middle level mgmt position so I'm assuming you are paid well...why do u need to quit your job just because other seniors dont let their wives work?
    Remember one thing..you have 2 kids and school, college education etc are not cheap..your husband and inlaws are somehow helping u in child care and co operating with u so u can continue the job...obviously you have to hand over the control of cooking, kitchen etc to inlaws when u r working outside..

Apart from financial stability you are getting good career growth and good change of place by workings office..

There are so many ladies who want to earn and be financially secure by working on office but are unable to do so as they don't have proper childcare..so ur position is much better.

I don't like the attitude of ur colleagues in demeaning lady co workers..do they even realise how much ladies struggle to Manage home and office...maternity leave is the right of every woman and she cannot be criticised for availing it.

If u feel u don't have work life balance then u can switch to a different role or different job profile with lesser responsibilities, but quitting is a drastic decision...u need to think a hundred times about it. I agree that the career growth will be less when u are unable to work long hours but as long as you are contented with the job and salary you have then there is no issue.

By the way,I know many ladies who come to office sharp at 9 am, finish all their work by 6pm without wasting much time on lunch and coffee breaks..they leave for the day by 6pm to spend time with kids..whereas I know men who come to office by 11 or 11.30 am, stay till 8.30 pm but actually spend only a few hrs working..rest is spent in cafeteria and coffee breaks to do professional cum social networking with colleagues..they get credit for " working late" while such ladies who are efficient are judged for leaving early to be with kids.

FYI, there are many men especially unmarried ones who like staying late due to free internet connection...married men sometimes like staying late to escape from domestic issues and responsibilities at home..this is something they will not admit so easily to any woman.

I get irritated when any man makes generalisations about female co workers w.r.t personal life.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  5. shrivni

shrivni Silver IL'ite

1. What is the point in you quitting here?
    2. Does staying in office for long hours means that they are more productive than you are?

Analyse the pros and cons of your quitting the job, as you know your situation well. Talk to your children about it and get their opinion and also with your inlaws.

I feel, even if our salary is not required, we tend to generate a lot of commitments with our Salary. Discuss with your husband and kids about what they will miss, if your salary is not going to be there and also explain, how you can make their life better if you are a full time home maker.

You, Yourself analyse first.

My two cent, Being financially independent is so important for any ladies.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  6. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

Taking maternity break , not able to stretch in office, Slow career growth are harsh realities, that we ladies need to accept...It doesn't matter how soon you reach there, it all matters whether you keep working towards your destination. I may be one step behind my male colleagues wrt milestone,but i am happy that i haven't stopped and still continue to be running in the race. If you are able to manage the show, then why do you want to quit now?

Vaikuntha, KashmirFlower and generic like this.
  7. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

OP,

I am a working lady in one of top IT company in India with a good pay. Discussion what you had with your friend, I head heard this from my many relatives, friends whose wife's are home makers. No offence means but being home maker shouldn't be only husbands choice. It's on you. Couple of things which I feel are true in your post -
    1. We as mothers can not stay for long hours but it doesn't mean we do not complete our responsibility or we cant stay if needed. Normally i am 9:00 to 6:00 person but I stretch hours if needed. Then my DH limit his hour to pick kids and take care them. In 9 to 6, i don't take unnecessarily breaks so that I can leave office on time. I also eat my lunch at my desk, bring coffee or snacks at my desk. On other side my mail counterpart, he takes 1 hr for breakfast, lunch and coffee and some times other breaks too. But he stay until 9-10 pm. Does it mean he is more productive? He is one level up from me but we both have same responsibilities for our team and reports same manager.

2. Husbands or your careers growth - Me and my DH always discuss this topic. I also feel if one is non working then other can concentrate fully on career that means more growth. But if both of them working then both need to compromise on work to help each other. We believe in second part that is helping each other and get a average growth. We are raising our kids without any support from parents and happy with that arrangement. We are doing good in career too.

Again this is mine and DHs' thought which suits both of us and we are happy with arrangement.

8. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

Same point that I was trying to convey..better to be working and get some steady Income instead of being a home maker with no income....so many ladies are unable to become managers but are stuck in the same position for years together..or they have been shifted towards less demanding projects if they were unable to cope up with high pressure tasks..but if they are happy with what they have then what is the issue.

Vaikuntha and KashmirFlower like this.
  9. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

@generic several likes to ur both posts.
    yes. not all male colleguages are working great and getting promoted either, if so they all should be retiring as C-suite executives.
    With so much managing house, kids, satisfying in-laws etc still women are able to continue their work and few are getting promoted, very few reaching to C-suite level is really great.

@gladis
    Isn't it so selfish from his side. he wants to have a family but wife should take all responsibility of family, but he would be growing in office, more and more, like a bachelor can be. at the end of the day he will have happy kids, clean house , home cooked meal, all money and property on his name, his well studied wife can take care/manage everything, (
    at the sacrifice of his wife's career he is getting all this, if he wants so much career he should go for it, he wants family means there is a responsibility too toward it)

I have read a wonderful book by facebook COO, you should read it @gladis. I advice not only working women but every women should read it. All hard truths we don't talk , just hide in ourselves and try to smile, this book will uncover all.
    Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead
    http://www.amazon.com/Lean-Women-Work-Will-Lead/dp/0385349947?ie=UTF8&keywords=lean in&qid=1462541574&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Vaikuntha likes this.
  10. meerasrini

meerasrini Platinum IL'ite

Hey. Don't decide your life depending on others! Can you really stay at home after working for so many years?
    Do you think your inlaws will leave you guys and go? Staying with inlaws full time will it work? Though financial dependency is not there, Raising 2 kids is not easy these days. See your situation at home and decide dear :) Best wishes :)

Vaikuntha likes this.