Navratri 2012 - Your suggestions, tips etc

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by iyerviji, Sep 26, 2012.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

October is next Month. This year Navratri is coming in October. All of you must have already started your preparations for Navratri, buying new Idols, doing something new etc.

Usually Sudha Kailas starts this thread. This year she is busy with her family in Chennai as she has shifted to Chennai recently. You all know she is an expert in jewellery making and other crafts.

So let us share our suggestions, tips. This year I have shifted to a small place , so cant keep a big golu as earlier. In the space available this year will keep Golu by keeping table, shipper or whatever is there to keep the padis. Atleast I want to keep 3 steps. Let me see what is God's plans. This time my daughters and grand daughters will be here. Though I miss my old big house and spacious to keep five steps and they will also miss anyway no problem God will surely show my some way.

Ok dearies waiting for your fbs

4 people like this.

2. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Hope like last year, this thread kick starts with a bang and rocks like last year. I miss Sudha's ambal decoration, thorans, step by step procedures etc. (yeah we can always keep visiting her threads any number of times).

Don't worry aunty when the heart is big why make small space an issue? Am sure your kolu will be most liked and you will have lots of fun with ur DDs and GDs!:)

Happy to see this first.

2 people like this.
  3. sudhakrishna

sudhakrishna Gold IL'ite

Dear madam, we ladies expect navarathri eagerly. We worship goddess do pujas, meet our friends and relatives and release of silk sarees. This year I have shifted to my own house and my sister and sister in law are coming. Hope to be a grand manner. Place doesn't matter. As experienced you will arrange in a novelty way and sure of appreciation. Please upload photos. Pranams.

1 person likes this.
  4. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

Thanks a lot, Viji Ma'm for starting this thread...

This year, I am keeping a theme golu on Periyapuranam..While I understand, that there are no sets available as such, I have started collecting dolls from here and there...to start with I have zeroed on 5 nayanmars..

Would need seperate male & female dolls...Apart from tank, khadikraft, pls suggest places to buy unique dolls...are there places also, where they would make dolls as per our requirements..

2 people like this.
  5. iyerviji

Mallika dear so happy and glad to see you here with you rfirst fb. Ya I also feel that this thread should kickstart like last year. I also miss Sudha and her posts. Anyway I think she will be happy to see this thread and help us in giving suggestions and tips for this year's Navratri.

Thanks dear for your loving message. Ya dear I am also hoping this year's Golu will be a memorable one.

6. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Vijima, thanks for starting this thread. Biig or small, the spirit for celebration is most important. So I am eagerly looking forward to the devi alangarm like you did last year using the traditional lamp etc. Will also try to drop in.

ridgemma, periyapuranam theme is good and may god bless you with appropriate idols before navratri starts. In case you could not fill up everything, you can try taking printouts of others or make your children draw or you yourself can draw and paste them on the wall around the golu padi.

Themes suggestion :-

1. Go green
    2. Mythological stories
    3. saints
    4. temples
    5. 8 wonders of the world
    6. Different types of kolams (pulli, pinnal, padi, rangoli, other designs using rice powder, wet rice flour, colours, grains, gems using traditional designs)
    7.Health
    8. Art of Living (not the course but the various talents required by one in life)
    9. Wise sayings with a story, so on.

Mini art & craft workshops "Kido craft" can also be arranged by kids, for kids and for the kids.

Jai Mata Di

5 people like this.
  7. iyerviji

Sudha dear glad to know you haveshifted to your own house. All the best for Navratri. I will upload the photos during Navratri. Thanks for joining here

8. iyerviji

Ridgemma glad to know you are keeping golu on Periyapuranam. Glad to here that. You can follow Mira's suggestions and make the Golu a grand success. All the best [.

9. iyerviji

Mira dear glad to see you here and thanks for wonderful suggestion. Hope more people join here and give us tips and suggestions

10. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

Mimur and Viji Ma'm,

Feel already blessed with your kind and encouraging words for my golu...:bowdownthe printout idea is very good...

3 people like this.