Navaratri Golu In United States 1st Time Need Advice

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by sumalynux, Sep 14, 2017.

1. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

Hi anyone to keep Golu/Bommai/Bombe.. what do you use for golu steps

Any tips regarding keeping golu is appreciated

To recite on all 9-days of Navratri - DOWNLOAD - Navaratri Shlokas & Mantras

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2017
    Thyagarajan likes this.

2. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Hi @sumalynux

This is my first time doing golu at my house, but my mom has been doing it for years in the US. The first year, she was using the brick fireplace for Golu, but after that she has expanded it to wooden planks from Lowe's/Home Depot. I found this blogpost with great details about setting one up. It's more detailed than I ever can be. Love & Lentil: How to build Navarathri Golu Steps

I am still a bit new to the scene, and honestly don't have the space for the full effect. This year, I am using cardboard boxes (filled with books or something to keep their shape), and stacking them up as steps.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

4. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

I dont have much doll collection. Live in New Jersey.

Also I have a toddler. So I am looking for more of temporary steps made with cardboard to keep in pooja mandir itself (closet converted to pooja mandir)

And any info about what has to be kept in each step? Or any advice tips appreciated

sindmani and jskls like this.
  5. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  6. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

I am planning to buy dolls in dollar tree.

jskls likes this.
  7. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

I do a pretty elaborate golu usually and since I collect new dolls every year on my India trips, wooden built planks don't work for me. Amazon delivery boxes are my thing. And any table/coffee table/desk that I can gather. I usually keep them and I have 5-7 steps. Cardboxes, you can get creative with them.

sumalynux, sindmani, kaniths and 2 others like this.
  8. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

When I started I had exactly 3 dolls :) Now I struggle to even keep what i have and they come out each year on rotation.
    When boys were that age I had something like this at the entrance to the room which had the golu. Could never keep it in the living room.
    There are no rules but I typically have a theme for each step. The first few are usually gods/dashavatharam/Ashta lakshmi etc with Kalasam and marapachi in the middle.
    Then one step for just wooden dolls (kondapalli /channa patna toys). One step is all my MILs moms and my collection of brass dolls .
    Then one step for all the dolls we have collected over the years when we travel to diff places. (this is my fav step)
    The last step is usually for fake fruits /vegetables with chettiar mama mami taking care of the grocery shop :)
    Once ur toddler grows up u can set up a small garden/zoo on the side with soaked fenugreek/mustard seeds.
    Happy Golu keeping!

sumalynux, sindmani, kaniths and 2 others like this.
  9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

How about using one or two side-by-side Collapsible Risers made of wood or cardboard?

Collapsible 5-Shelf Tray Display Stand, Portable Wooden Shelf, Craft Fair Display, Craft Fair Shelf, Wooden
    Cardboard Risers - 4 Step
    3-Tier Display Shelf / Display Riser / Store Display / Shelf Riser / Collapsible / Counter Top Display/ Trade Show Craft Show Display / R001

For those who don't mind the originally intended use of the item, pet stairs are another option. Take out the top cover and use just the inside wood/plastic structure.
    Best Pet Supplies Foam Pet Stairs, Dark Brown

Searching for Collapsible Trade Show Display Risers also showed some providers who are willing to make to order.

10. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

I like that Cardboard Steps that Rihana gives a link in #9. Light weight, and folds and stores flat until next year. However, golu needs odd number of steps. Moving a low coffee table to a room wall can add another step, i.e., 4+1.

sumalynux likes this.