1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Navarathri preparations, suggestions needed...

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Sritej, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Sritej

Sritej New IL'ite

Hi all,
    This is the first time I am keeping golu dolls at home and i have collected a few of them.

I had posted this in the festivals section, but did not get any reply. so reposting here ...

I need some suggestions regarding these:

1. I am planning to invite a few neighbors both Indian and American. What do you serve them as refreshments when they come home?

2. Do people invite families or only women for the golu viewing?

3. I have seen people sending evites on a specific time and day, is it how it has to be done?

These questions may sound very basic but i am so confused and hopeful that i will find some good suggestions here...

Regards,
    Tejasri

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013

2. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

I have not kept golu at home, but have went to many friend's place. So food part I can help you.
    The most common food was Bajji (as appetizer) lemon rice/puliyodarai (most of the time they will keep both the varities), Sundal most of them keep chickpea sundal, and kesari or besan ladoo.

There are variation of course, but these seems to be the most common.

B/w most of my friends call me through phone or directly. Didnt get any evites for it so far.
    Wishes
    Nitha

3. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Till last only I was invited (not family) in the evening . But this year there is a couple of family invitations.
    Whatever works for you the best.

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Sritej,

best way would be to do simply what works for you. No hard and fast rules. I usually invite women and children on one day and if it is a weekend, I invite a couple of very close family friends for dinner and I do use phone a lot :)

5. Sritej

Sritej New IL'ite

thank you nitha and srama for your inputs...

6. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

1. I am planning to invite a few neighbors both Indian and American. What do you serve them as refreshments when they come home?
    Usually dinner . Since this is the first time for you go slow. How about tea and some snacks ?

2. Do people invite families or only women for the golu viewing?
    I prefer to invite the whole family. U can try with a ladies only event for the first time so as to not get overwhelmed.

3. I have seen people sending evites on a specific time and day, is it how it has to be done?
    Navrathri has become very popular and its very hard to be specific .So I pick one day of the weekend and keep it open . Late after noon 3pm to about 10 pm .People visit many homes in one day so I try not to constrain people more than needed
    Evite is nice option to keep track of guest lists. You can also email and follow up with a phone call to make it a bit more personal.

These questions may sound very basic but i am so confused and hopeful that i will find some good suggestions here...
    Have fun SriTej
    Regards,
    Tejasri