Navarathri preparations, suggestions needed...

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Sritej, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Sritej

Sritej New IL'ite

Hi all,
    This is the first time I am keeping golu dolls at home and i have collected a few of them.

I need some suggestions regarding these:

1. I am planning to invite a few neighbors both Indian and American. What do you serve them as refreshments when they come home?

2. Do people invite families or only women for the golu viewing?

3. I have seen people sending evites on a specific time and day, is it how it has to be done?

These questions may sound very basic but i am so confused and hopeful that i will find some good suggestions here...

Regards,
    Tejasri

2. janbornchild

janbornchild Silver IL'ite

Hi Tejasri,

I suggest that a simple refreshment involving lemonade with some basil seeds would be good. You can also serve them with dhoklas or even paniyaram with some chutney. All the above are non spicy and makes an interesting appetisers. I invite families if they are good friends..after all its all about celebrating Mother Durga with our friends and loved ones :cheers

E-invites add a nice innovative touch..i think you should go for it..make it fun and interesting, add a bit about why we do this and what this celebration is about for non Indians

Also just a suggestion - invite guests (americans) to feel free about sporting something indian for eg - a bindi on forehead, bangles or even a saree!!! this should make your guests feel all special and excited :)

Normally you can call guests during the last five days...that's the general trend I have observed. I am inviting my guests too and among them are some chinese colleagues :biggrin2:

Hope my suggestion helped...all the best for your celebrations!! :party

Regards
    priya

3. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sritej,
    1. Refreshments - your normal drinks and snacks can be given on navrathri also- no specific rules.
    2. You can definitely invite families for the viewing and entertain all, only the tambulam i.e. prasad and kumkum/turmeric and gift items if any can be given to the ladies.
    3. If you have the time in the evenings to attend to guests it is good that they can come on any day of navrathri upto vijayadashami- but nowadays due to being tied up with office etc, many restrict the invitations to a specific day - especially saraswathi puja day which is a must and give prasadams etc.
    Hope this is helpful, best wishes.