Navarathri – please share ideas/tips/suggestions/solutions etc….

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Sudha Kailas, Sep 9, 2010.

1. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

Dear Sudha

The thread is very interesting and informative. Your theme park and hanging dolls concept is so beautiful. Your DH's uncle is extremely talented for conceptualising this. Full marks goes to him.

I am not keeping formal Kolu here, but only my showcase is my kolu which we decorate with spot light. Kolu was there in my mom's place, which we thoroughly enjoyed as children.

But I invite my friends' / relatives' families for vettrilai pakku and give alongwith chandan/kumkum/coconut/flower/ some gifts to Sumangalis which is a normal practice by every one.

For kids both girls and boys my DD will give and for the accompanying men, I will tell my DH to give some fruit like banana or apple or whatever.
    Also if a senior lady (MiL or Mom) of the guest w/o DH is present, I will give a fruit in her hand as I feel its unfair to not give anything for the senior lady who has lived her years to the fullest with her DH and family.

Will send more when I get some.

Wish you all a Happy Navrathri 2010.

Best Regards
    Shanti

2. vijayasampath

vijayasampath Gold IL'ite

Very interesting thread ...thanks sudha for starting this useful thread.

Here is my tip for making park.

Generally for parks we grow small plants using mustard or dhaniya,wheat seeds . But maintaining them would be difficult at times and we have to start growing the plants 2-3 days in advance but this is the traditional way of making parks.

But if you are interested you can make parks using sawdust. You can put a newspaper and spread mud/sand on it and then use the sawdust over it. With sawdust you can mix some colour powder like green or red with little water and sun dry it and then you can use it.Then you can place some artificial trees on it .For mountains you can sprinkle some green colour sawdust on the mountain which will look very natural.Making parks using sawdust does not consume your time much. Even your children can make this park easily and they can get nice encouragement from your visitors.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  3. Sudha Kailas

Sudha Kailas IL Hall of Fame

Deepa, thats very sweet of you to visit us all here.......

Thanks for sharing your tip as well on the "mountain making" as well as that the September issue of Mangayar Malar has some interesting tips.

If you think of anything more, please do share with us......

Thanks once again dear,,,,

4. Sudha Kailas

Shanti, thanks so much my friend........your tips and suggestions are most rewarding for young people who will keep their golu first time...especially what all to give as "thamboolam".

Your (shantisubra's) reminder that old and senior most ladies should not be ignored and also need to be given some gift is a very good practice has been stressed very well. I am just going to highlight this point......thanks dear !!

Thanks so much ma......very useful information to one and all !!

5. Sudha Kailas

Vijaya, thanks for your first enterprising entry here......PARK MAKING.....which all children and elders love to do for their golu !! It is so informative and you have explained everything in detail.....

Keep sharing tips dear..........it is most welcome here !!

6. Sudha Kailas

Dear all,

From my side today am attaching some scanned old magazine tips for golu.

A big thanks to Kumudham Snehidhi, Aval Vikatan, Mangayar Malar, Ladies Special !! from where I collected all these tips...

Regretfully am unable to translate these in English but am sure from the steps given in these pictures you intelligent ladies can do a thorough job !!

1. Arranging blouse bits in a different way for thamboolam...something very novel and wanted to share here...

7. ranisuresh

ranisuresh Senior IL'ite

Hi Sudha,

Great idea of starting this thread... Already you all have got excellent Ideas and caliber.... That hanging Puppet innovation is too good, as all your crafts post are too good.

Navarathri.....those nine days are full of celebrations. Even though we celebrate every year, but every time get new excitement for preparing, we all start for the golu preparation almost 1month before.... Imagine about the Golu Theme, arranging the bombai's, Rangoli in front of Golu, thamboolam preparations etc.... :rotfl

While we cover the Golu padi with silk cloth or white dhoti, we can make border with laces (Golden threads) on each sides of padi and on the every step. The Golu padi would shine on the glare with the serial lights... or even wihtout that give bright look.

The park which we make can give some thematic situation like.. Save Environment... mountain showing glaciers, due to deforestation, reduction of glaciers..... (for glaciers we can use cotton....not a bad Idea :bonk)...
    Yours,
    Rani.

8. Gayatrivenkat

Gayatrivenkat Silver IL'ite

sudha mam thanks for the sharing. i'm giving some ideas see whether it's like by u and all.
    1] if some baby child comes to golu u can give some toys like as small car barby doll ,small train ,aeroplane etc.
    2]for l.k.g going boys colouring book with crayons,pencil box,comic book. mythological book.since girl child can get beads bangles pavadai cloth.
    3] for 1 std to 5 std boys u can give key chains puzzle books,ludo card, chess card other sport items.
    Hope this will help u all.awaiting ur reply.
    gayatri

9. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

You are really a darling Sudha!
    Lovely, timely and thoughtful thread started by you and lots of ideas are pouring in. Hats off to you da! Hanging puppets were lovely. I had malarum ninaivugal seeing you 7 day kolam link. Saw in that also I have mentioned about my kolams as I told in Pooja contest.

I think Chittappa can conduct classes in Chennai and it will be a real hit da, helping so many chennaites to learn craft making.

Hope there would be lot more to learn from this thread.

10. Sudha Kailas

Rani dear, Welcome after a break !!

Feels so good to see ur tips for golu.......very important tip you had given.......to start working on various themes like rangoli, park, bommai arrangements etc..one month in advance........yes, that was the sole reason I started this yaar.....we should give enough time or rather have enough to assemble all that we need for a 10 days festival like this and people living abroad can be benefitted........

Thanks once again dear......keep sharing your tips and ideas as and when u have !!