Narayaneeyam

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by sarojaravi, Jan 14, 2008.

1. sarojaravi

sarojaravi New IL'ite

Is there any procedure to complete narayaneeyam in 3 days part-by-part? If so, in which chapters breaks should be taken?

2. harih

harih Silver IL'ite

My father says,

you can chant dashakams 1(Greatness of Sri Krishna at Guruvayur) -36 (Parashurama avataram) on Day 1
    37 (prelude to krishnavataram) - 75 (Kamsa Vadham) on Day 2
    76 (Uddhava Doothu) - 100 (Keshadhipaadam) on Day 3.

As for rules to be followed during the daily chant, basically, one should not stop in the middle of a dashakam, one should chant related dashakams together, like Sri Rama Avataram ie 34 and 35. or dashakams 24 and 25 - Narasimha Avataram. One should end the chant on a positive note. Last ten dashakams are longish and difficult to chant, hence only 25 dashakams for the 3rd day. Hope this helps. If you need any more information, let me know.

Regards
    Hari

3. ugmaddy

ugmaddy New IL'ite

Hi hari,

Thanks for your valuable suggestions.

1) Is there any rule in reading narayaneeyam?. Some people say, narayaneeyam need to be chanted only in the morning before sunrise. Is it correct?

2) I have trouble in reading sanskrit, i have a narayaneeyam book that has both sanskirt and Tamil meaning. I am reading only tamil meaning. Is that correct way of reading?

Thanks in advance.

maddy

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  4. harih

harih Silver IL'ite

1)Is there any rule in reading narayaneeyam?

I guess you are asking about a complete recital. The rules are similar to Srimad Bhagavatha parayanam, with the customary introductory shlokas praising Vyasa, Suka and other great Rishis (we add Melputtur also in our chant) in the beginning and end with the mangala shlokas. The naivedhyam also is the same as what one gives for Srimad Bhagavatham. It's given in detail in the Narayanaeeyam text with translation in Malayalam published by Guruvayur Devaswom.

In my family we do the complete recital of the text once in a month (prasadam is either paal payasam or chundal), and the Dashakam 10 alone every day. The latter is done along with other daily chants like Vishnu Sahasranamam.

2) Some people say, narayaneeyam need to be chanted only in the morning before sunrise. Is it correct?

I have not heard or read about any such rule.

3) I have trouble in reading sanskrit, i have a narayaneeyam book that has both sanskirt and Tamil meaning. I am reading only tamil meaning. Is that correct way of reading?

In my opinion, since the Narayaneeyam is not a mantram rather a stotram praising the divine, chanting the tamil meaning alone is not an incorrect way of reading the work. At the same time, I would like to add that Sanskrit words have unique energies and a majesty (possibly hidden powers as well) which might not be captured as such in a Tamil translation. Furthermore, Melputtur with his great scholarship has selected words and unique vrittams each most admirably suiting the situation he describes and this makes the Sanskrit parayanam wonderful and highly enjoyable. When I read such cantos like Narasimhavatharam or Rasakreeda or Kaliyamardhanam according to the meter it's written, I feel a thrill and joy and an exhilaration which I am sure would never be recreated even in the best translations, be it in Malayalam or Tamil.

Regards
    Hari

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  5. ugmaddy

ugmaddy New IL'ite

Hi Hari,

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply. I got it.

I really appriciate it.

Regards,

Maddy

6. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

Dear Hari

I have just got a book of Narayaneeyam in Tamil. I want to start reading it regularly whenever time permits.

I wish to know the following:

-Is there any procedure to start
    -If not on daily basis, can I read whenever it is possible
    -At any time during the day
    -Any phrase I can stop at (except what you have written earlier like 24 and 25 together etc.)

As I am an employed person, everyday I may not be able to follow a stipulated time.
    Kindly guide me.

Thanks very much.

Warm Regards
    Shanti

7. harih

harih Silver IL'ite

Dear Smt Shanti,

My apologies for the long delay in replying. I was not keeping track of all the threads where I posted.

-Is there any procedure to start
    -If not on daily basis, can I read whenever it is possible
    -At any time during the day

No detailed procedure required. A lighted lamp, a naivedhyam would be good but not essential. Some discipline as to the time and purity would not do any harm but is not essential at all. You can chant it absolutely any time. Ladies can chant it during periods. That's the greatness of Guruvayoorappan. :) If you but take one little step towards him, he will take 100 steps towards you. In the Ambareesha Charitham in Narayaneeyam it is said "nanu bhaktadaasaha"....He is the servant of his devotees!!!

If you have any lingering doubts as to the time/purity etc, chant the below sloka before you start the paarayanam.

Apavitrah pavitro vaa Sarvaavasthaam gathopi vaa
    Yah smareth Pundareekaksham sa baahyaabhyantharah shuchih

-Any phrase I can stop at (except what you have written earlier like 24 and 25 together etc.)

Try not to stop in the middle of a dashakam(chapter). If you stop somewhere midway due to unavoidable interruptions, chant the entire chapter again at the earliest possible.

Anyone in Chennai, needing any kind of assistance in chanting the text, I'm available for help. We consider Guruvayoorappan on par with our Kuladeivam. He has always come to our rescue in troubled times.

Regards,
    Hari

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  8. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Shri Harih,

I am so happy to see you answering questions on Narayaneeyam. I would like to teach myself Narayaneeyam. I am most familiar with Malayalam, live in Trivandrum. So, can you suggest which book can I follow to read the text with / without meanings?

Also, I would like to buy CDs of Narayaneeyam. Can you again suggest a good one? I am not very fond of the P Leela version.

I will be leaving shortly, and have to procure all this before I leave. So, will be really grateful if you can get back. Guruvayoorappan bless!

Thanks
    Vidya

9. harih

harih Silver IL'ite

Dear Smt. Vidya,

To read the Narayaneeyam without meanings, there are several publishers I could suggest. Vidyarambham, Devi Publishing House, Kurukshetra Prakashan..all have published pocket sized versions of the book, quite handy to take on travel.

To read with meanings the best book I've come across is published by Guruvayoor Devaswom. I think, but am not sure, they have called it "Bhakta ranjini commentary'. It gives a word by word meaning and detailed explanation of the slokas. Where some sloka is particularly sublime or poignant, they have taken extra care to bring it to light. There is also an excellent introduction which gives plenty of details about the author, the work itself, and many myths surrounding the work.

I cannot suggest any CDs, as personally I am not comfortable with the 'musical style' of chanting slokas, to the accompaniment of instruments, which I found in all CDs I have listened to. If I come across any CD I liked, I will mention it here.

Since you happen to be in Tvm, I would suggest that if you have any specific queries on Narayaneeyam, you call my father, presently in Tvm, who is a great scholar in Narayaneeyam. I can provide his contact phone number if you need it.

Regards,
    Hari

10. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Shri Harih,

Thanks a million for such answers, I am blessed. I have been asked to do as much poojai and stotram for Krishnar. That apart, learning the Narayaneeyam has been a long time desire.

I am in Trivandrum for another two weeks only. Hence it is not possible for me to join the classes in Swathi NAgar or East Fort. Which is why, I have to depend on Cds etc to help me chant them easily. By CDs, I am not looking for musical versions. Do you know of any Cds by Poojya Sri krishna Premi, Brahmasri Sundar Kumar etc?

I will be blessed to seek personal guidance from your esteemed father. But the issue is how to get the contact details. You need 50 posts to get private message access in Indusladies. And you are not allowed to post your phone numbers or contact details in open forum.

I am really in a hurry to meet your father. I am sure Guruvayoorappan will open some channel to meet him. Maybe, you can just post his name and roughly where he lives in TVM. Not the address, just some directions like Kowdiar, SreeVaraham etc. I will enquire and take it from there.

Thanks again for all your advise. I think my desire to read Narayaneeyam was heard by Guruvayoorappan, He led me to this thread and your guidance.

sincerely
    Vidya