Narasimha Encounter?

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by seekingheart, Jun 17, 2015.

1. seekingheart

seekingheart Senior IL'ite

I am a white American woman, not Indian. I emailed Indusladies to ask if I had to be Indian, but received no reply. So here I am. I have been seeking religious answers. Answers for my heart. I think I have found some truth in the Hindu beliefs! Here is an experience of mine. Please tell me if this was an encounter with Narasimha. When I was 9 years old (I am now 48), I was practicing wrong things like seances, Oiuja board, calling on spirits that I did not know, moving objects with the mind. (I was raised a Christian but when I was 9 years old I was experimenting). Anyway, I had a dog that I loved dearly that had just died named Baby. I started chanting 'make Baby bark, make Baby bark'...then I started chanting in my head silently when all of a sudden to my right side a TERRIBLY LOUD ROAR came!! That scared me so badly that I have carried much fear in my life. It is the only true event in my life to understanding anything of the spiritual world. I NEVER again practiced anything of a dark nature. After that I tried to stay close to God only. Does anyone have any thoughts/opinions?? Was it Narasimha or God?

1 person likes this.

2. Lathasv

Lathasv IL Hall of Fame

Yes, One of God Vishnu's avatars is Narasimha... he is so powerful and believe in that he protects from evil spirits..

3 people like this.
  3. seekingheart

Perhaps he was protecting me from evil spirits. I knew that roar must have been telling me to stop experimenting. I didn't know if the spirit roaring was good or evil. But it scared me to stop doing practices like that EVER again! :)

2 people like this.
  4. seekingheart

....also should I ask Narasimha for forgiveness? If so, how?

1 person likes this.
  5. Lathasv

Lathasv IL Hall of Fame

I don't have any idea about how to ask forgiveness from God Narasimha .. Just pray him with any Narasimha sthothram @seekingheart

1 person likes this.
  6. Lathasv

Lathasv IL Hall of Fame

2 people like this.
  7. seekingheart

8. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

We don't have any concepts of seeking forgiveness from God :)
    We don't have an angry God or a forgiving God!!
    God only loves us through our spiritual journey to find him and ourselves and recognise that we are ONE with God!!!

The roar could be your own conscience (the God who resides in our heart) telling you to stop those practices.

Try to overcome thoughts of the past and concentrate on finding yourself through the many teachings and sages and gurus.

3 people like this.
  9. seekingheart

I like the Hindu concept of God very much!Thank you! That is all good advice.
    I really don't concentrate on the past. The past has helped me move forward. Hearing the lion's roar (audible) has been the one real spiritual thing that has led me to the Hindu Narasimha. If it was anything of myself or in myself surely I would have heard a 'dog's bark' as I was expecting and not a lion's roar. That is a very traumatic event for a 9 year old girl. Not easily forgotten. Can Narasimha live in a heart? Maybe. I just know I heard the roar to the right side of me.
    Thank you again. I am looking forward to understanding a loving God and learning more from any kind Hindus, like yourself, who will help me. :)

1 person likes this.
  10. jingi92

jingi92 Gold IL'ite

lord narasimha, an avatar, to protect good from evil ... there are many temples in india dedicated to lord narasimha ... you will be surprised that each one is unique in its own way ... for eg., the panakala narasimha swamy temple .. here they say if you pour panakam (a drink of jaggery and water) into the lord's mouth .. only half goes in and half stays back in ur vessel .. you can use a glass, a pot, any quantity ... but you always hv half of it in ur vessel ... one more in bidar where we have to "go thru" waist deep water to see the lord .. many many more such ... you can ck the net for details ...

he is of course associated with the lion ... (half lion and half human form) .. so may be he was trying to save a small child from going the "wrong way" .. from the evil spirits .. be it what may ... keep faith and keep away from evil ... all the very best and a big god bless :)

2 people like this.