1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

NANBAN---Review

Discussion in 'Movies' started by rosy786, Jan 12, 2012.

1. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

hi sofea,:hiya

we planned to watch in pj state or klang.. then when we asked the theaters said they dint get the film rolls until afternoon and you have to go in person to get the tickets.. quite a long journey in the traffic.. and considering the crowds there......:hide:

we found a new theater has been opened in shah alam, just 1 month ago in the space u8 mall , the first eco-mall in malaysia..which was inaugurated last month.. so many people would not know about it, and its in a very far-off area.......:thumbsup

somehow finally made it to the 9pm show..and lots of people had come from far-off to this theater...... and it was a house-full within a few minutes......:spin

i doubt if its easy to get tikets in pjstate, klang, sentul, kepong,midvalley, klcc etc..... if they could start selling tikets online,it would save the hassle of travelling twice..

want to watch it again..... waiting for the USJ summit/ sunway/ ioi puchong to sell online........:coffee

1 person likes this.
  2. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

she never ate I suppose, just did facials, and slimming treatments, and kaya kalpa lagiyam to prevent getting old ..unbelievable.. :bonk
    its nice when watched with the film.."en friend eh pola waaru machan" is going to be like kadhal desam friendship song for the youth....:thumbsup:thumbsup

"the love song" hass got foreign shooting, and some shankar's style in it..

vijay and ileyana have danced in different setups resembling his previous movies.. one resembling shivaji(rajini and shreya) and other like anniyan ( here they have painted the train...)..... it was kind of funny....:rotfl

and the other songs also go well with the movie......:)
    but i doubt if they will become musical hits... except that friendship song...:hide:

2 people like this.
  3. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Preethi,
    Thanks for the reivew.
    I wanted to go Friday night itself, but have to do production install and postponed my ticket to Sunday :-(

4. mums

mums Platinum IL'ite

Thanks dear Preethi and Sofea for telling more about malaysia.

I will note down all the points u have told.

1 person likes this.
  5. AshMenon

AshMenon Gold IL'ite

My Friends Reviews:

Nanban is a very good movie, but dont ever compare it to 3 Idiots. The only person who has excelled the original is Jeeva, who outskills Sharman Joshi. Though the movie is a scene to scene copy from the original, the movie guarantees you to laugh. A must watch if you have not seen 3 Idiots. Vijay has acted well. Satyaraj is irritating and it is Boman Irani who wins hands down.

2 people like this.
  6. AshMenon

AshMenon Gold IL'ite

7. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

Those directors are not held in glory that is acclaimed to Shankar right?
    Why not? This is his next movie after Shivaji(2007) and such a long gap only to make a scene-by-scene remake.

But it is desirable, that one has his/her own. Art is to indulge the audience in it, not to do a mechanical translation.
    I agree. It is the 'team' that wins.

When you are held in high esteem as one of South India's leading film maker, and when you are said to work hard to get a script(taking years), and after all these acclaim, when you come up with a remake of a hit movie just to fill the coffers of a production house, you are bound to be targeted with lack of creativity.

PS: Wife has booked the movie ticket. Nemesis will play the good boy and watch it with her, laughing when she laughs while grumbling inside. :rant

8. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

Nemesis,

Lets not postmortem or do a Anatomy of a movie. Why cant we just watch Movie just for our Fun/happiness ??Remakes are also not an Easy Joke, if it had been so every remake taken by Tom Dick and harry would have become a Super Duper hit. If you still feel Remake is not a Great Man's task let us take this way... ,May be Shankar wanted to put down his Thinking Cap for sometime

1 person likes this.
  9. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Ah, so an acclaimed director shouldn't indulge in a remake, lest he loses his glory? Interesting...now what would this make of K Balachander who remade Eranki Sharma's Chilakkama Cheppindi into his Nizhal Nijamagirathu? Or Balu Mahendra who remade Mahesh Bhatt's Arth into Marupadiyum and Misery into Julie Ganapathy?

Hope you didn't conveniently miss out Enthiran (2010) ;-) After two years of toiling for Enthiran, it's understandable if Shankar wants to make a quick, light comedy in the form of Nanban. Seriously, I don't see what's wrong with it.

Direction is not about telling just a new story. It's about how well you tell a story regardless of the same being new or old. There are many who have fresh stories but lack the proper direction skills to tell it in a convincing manner. OTOH, there are also people who can tell the most cliched stories in the most innovative way. Shankar falls in the second category. Most of his storylines are based on the cliched topics nevertheless he has the talent to present it in a wonderful and fresh manner. I believe that even if he doesn't surpass the magic in 3Idiots, still there is no way he will do damage to the same either.

Hope you enjoy the show even if you feel like ranting inside ;-)

3 people like this.
  10. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

hehe. Remake is authorised(and sometimes otherwise) piracy, also called as inspiration by some conservatives.

Same is the way of remix songs. Riding on the back of listener's nostalgia.

And ILites, i digress not anymore.

Well. I will be wondering why Shankar did not name the movie '3 muttalgal'. Mayby it is obvious considering the lead role played by none other than........., lol.

PS: Fans of Ilayathalapathy, if any, kindly dont revert back to this gag.

2 people like this.