1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

NANBAN---Review

Discussion in 'Movies' started by rosy786, Jan 12, 2012.

1. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

Not to argue, puni88, but if Shankar wanted to convey the stress-busting feel to the Tamil audience, he could have produced it, rather than redacting it scene by scene.

A quote from Rediff website comment:

2. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

No worries dear... I don't have much knowledge about these people.
    What ever I knew, I commented here....
    Good to know about Shankar's background and his capabilities.

At the end, I just want to enjoy the movie and have some fun :)

3. mums

mums Platinum IL'ite

Is Endhiran Copied from Hollywood movie??

I felt so withWill Smith's I,Robo.

4. SrividyaNKumar

SrividyaNKumar Silver IL'ite

I am waiting to watch this one..

5. lathaviswa

lathaviswa IL Hall of Fame

story line is from Hollywood only.

6. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Nemesis, it's not as if Shankar is the only one who is into remakes of films. As much as I hate this trend, we can't deny that almost every other movies that are released in Tamil today are remakes of movies from other languages- Pokiri, Thilalangadi, Kaavalan, Siruthai, Uthama Puthiran, Velayutham and many others.

The only difference is whether the directors are open in their admission of the films being remakes or not. Most directors are quite truthful in saying that their films are a remake of so and so movies. But there are also some like A.L.Vijay who has never admitted til date that his Deivathirumagal is a direct copy of I Am Sam. Or even Jayam Raja who still continues to say that Velayutham is merely "inspired" by Nagarjuna's Azad.

In that sense, Shankar should be applauded for coming out in open and saying that he is remaking 3 Idiots. Plus, he never claimed to be the best director or one with the most "original" storylines, so I don't see why he should be targetted or even criticized for his decision.

And I'm so sorry to say this but the quote from Rediff is by far, one of the most absurd remarks I'm ever read. First of all, there's no requirement that a director should think of his own story and screenplay. Shankar has always credited his dialogue writers, story writers and screenplay writers when and where it's due. Just because he uses Sujatha's or Balakumaran's writing, doesn't mean that he is riding behind the brains of these esteemed writers. Obviously the one who wrote this remark has no clue what it takes to be a director hence this half-baked statements.

Just to be clear, KB doesn't write his own stories. The late Ananthu is instrumental in contributing stories and even ghost writing dialogues for many of KB's acclaimed films. Maniratnam engaged Sujatha to write the dialogues for Aaithe Ezhuthu and Kannathil Muthammital while Balakumaran too had worked with Mani for Nayagan. All these doesn't make KB or Maniratnam any lesser directors than the ones who write their own screenplay.

A movie is afterall a product of a team work and it's the job of the director to ensure that each and every team members contribute their parts well. Thus, to get the best from Sujatha and Balakumaran, there has to be great interpretation of ideas from Shankar too right?

9 people like this.
  7. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

The story line is based on late writer Sujatha's novels, titled En Iniya Enthira and Jeano. The techno part and some plots of the film are of course taken from Hollywood films.

3 people like this.
  8. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

dear girls, dont get diverted/...........

watch 'nanban'' its such a good movie and getting the ticket on the first day was very difficult......

I have watched it yesterday and i would say its really really good, fun , entertaining and makes you smile.......

Do not watch the movie as a 'critic'.. thinking of direction, shankar, 3 idiots, aamir khan or anything...

just have an open mind, be yourself.. and you will enjoy..... and you will enjoy very much if you had studied in one of those engineering colleges..

Having said that, the book 'five point someone' was a great hit.. when 3 idiots came, it was good, but they had edited a few things from the book..... i personally felt that reading the book gave me a better impact.. still, the movie was a great one...

one additional comment here is we could enjoy more of this nanban because of the tamil dialogues.. and the fun..... language is theplus point.. we have read the story in english and seen it in hindi with english subtitles(me!!) and now in tamil, is a lot more enjoyable........

Do watch it and have fun......

6 people like this.
  9. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Now I just feel the enthu in me after watching the film.........even after almost 20 hours of time..... spoke to few of my friends and felt connecting with the past.. definitely makes you remember your friends a lot............:cheers

i liked jeeva playing the role, he has done really well and his act is so natural....... we just see him as a IEC student only...:thumbsup

vijay is good as well.. but sometimes in the starting scenes he just replicates aamir khan (like how jayam ravi imitates sidharth in the many films..):coffee

srikanth is ok.. but sometimes we feel that his act is not natural.. in a few scenes his acting looks fake... but his voice is a plus point, as the story is narrated by him..:)

sathyaraj is a good choice for that role.. and he has done it well..

ileyana is ok, sort of cute .. but not so attractive or elegant.. she looked very malnutricious!! like a thin white stick..:spin

and one great doubt..::: when the story is shown after 10 years, everyone is shown a bit old.... and even tthe new born baby is shown as a young boy 9 years old.. but illeana is just the same before and after 10 years..................hahhahaha...:rotfl

3 people like this.
  10. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

She must have taken good care of her body all those years ;-)

Thanks Preethi for the wonderful review :thumbsup Where did you watch the movie- Lotus / Midvalley or Suria KLCC? How was the songs btw? I only heard the songs during the audio launch-didn't like any of them then. Maybe it might sound nice when you're watching it with the film...

1 person likes this.