naming of hindu-muslim baby girl - please pour in suggestions

Discussion in 'Baby Names & Birth Announcements' started by RedRuby, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear RedRuby,

My suggestion would be to use Thuraya which will cover the meaning both in Arabic and in Sanskrit. I am not sure Soraya would cover the meaning in Sanskrit.

viswa

1 person likes this.
  2. littl

littl Platinum IL'ite

okies :bonk

1 person likes this.
  3. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswa, thanks a lot for coming back here and giving me our advice and opinion :) i really appreciate it a lot. And i think you are right, will ask hubby about is opinion :) thanks again

4. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

laugh1smiley exactly :rotfl

1 person likes this.
  5. queenie29

queenie29 Silver IL'ite

I like Aamira (my friend's daughter's name) /Anya . Sameera is good too.
    Anaya

1 person likes this.
  6. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Hi Queenie29, thanks for popping in :) You are right Aamira was already suggested as Sameera too :) yours is second vote for these names, good to know. Aamira with 2 a is nice too, that way its more indian rather then purely arabic.
    Had to google the meaning of Anaya :) i like the sound. Was mentiond its caring, guardian and protector, its a really good one, will put on list and show to hubby

1 person likes this.
  7. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

Hey congrats!!! I have no new suggestions but my favorites among already suggested is
    Amyra
    Sameera
    Raina
    Zaara
    Zoya
    Anya
    meher

some of them were on my list but me and my husband were not able to zero in on one particular name so had to forego.
    I really suggest you to have one name as it sounds pretty instead of having one hindu one Muslim as personally I feel they don't go together. Hindu or Muslim doesn't matter, the meaning and sound has to be good.

8. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Hi Rose, thanks for looking through the thread and giving your opinion, i appreciate it :) and thanks for the congratz :D
    Yep it seems Amyra is winning the race... followed by Sameera..
    I think i explained confusing way the matter with the double name, i dont mean to give a double name with a - in the middle so she WONT be called by both names :)
    I agree with you in the matter of double names actually to be honest and prefer 1 name as its shorter and easier. Per my traditions we give names as wishes and often have more then 1 name but just the first one will be used in public - the name by which we are called. So lets take the example we name her Amyra Zoya Meher, then she will be called only Amyra, rest is more or less passport issue ;)

Or do you mean generally? Maybe it depends on the sound wether they go together or not... she has to live with both sides anywhays ;)

(Meher is btw ruled out as it wud sound bad with the surname and has double meaning in the country we recently reside, Raina is ruled out too)

Im not sure wether the "main name" will be hindu or muslim or one which is used for both... i think i make more dependent on the meaning and sound :)

9. Chachi420

Chachi420 Platinum IL'ite

:wowRed, you got so many wonderful suggestions already, really like quite a few of the names that have been suggested :thumbsup if I had to pick I would go with Saranya, Soraya, Sameera and I know its a tough choice already for you. However, thought about it and decided to suggest few more names for your consideration :

Nermine (A girl who is unlike any other)
    Zeenat (Beauty)
    Mirna (peaceful)

Reading this thread and all the posts I was reminded of a dialogue in Romeo & Juliet,
    "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" so whichever name you pick, wishing you a lifelong of enjoyment with your sweet lil DD hugsmiley

1 person likes this.
  10. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

aaaaawwwww Chachi :) you made it back here hugsmiley thanks a lot, thats really nice of you

Your quote from Romeo & Juliet is really touching me :) very very sweet

I think Zeenat was in the list hubby suggested :) seems you have similar taste
    Nermine is the name of an old school friends daughter, she is really very cute lil toddler :)
    Mirna is interesting too, the meaning is nice as well - peacefull...

Saranya, Soraya, Sanaya and Sameera are on top of the list, I agree with you in that completely :)... question if i pick one of them for example would be then to match it with a second name... like Soraya Mirna or Sameera Ishani or Sameera Parizad or Amyra Saranya.... shud first finalize the first one and then match meaning and sound.. think Saranya, Soraya, Sameera cannot be matched with each other as too similar... like Sameera Amyra wud sound awkward.

Thanks again a lot for your support :)

1 person likes this.