Name One Indus Ladies Habit Of Yours That ...

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Rihana, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

We read and post in IL for many reasons -- to exchange ideas, offer advice, learn, make new friends, ask questions and more. Over the course of time, we form habits over time related to how we read, imbibe and post.

Is there a habit related to this that you'd like to change? Please share.

Rest assured that sharing it does not imply it joins your list of new year resolutions. : )

Amica likes this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

imbibe: absorb or assimilate (ideas or knowledge)
    There are some posts that I mark for going and rereading later once again or in more detail. Usually never get around to that. This imbibement needs improvement.

On a different note - I sometimes start a thread and kind of abandon it, not responding to or at least acknowledging the replies. Bad!

iyerviji and Sandycandy like this.
  3. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

I tend to wordsmith my posts a lot after initially posting. Fixing spelling typos, editing for brevity are the 2 major reasons I do so. This happens mostly because i tend to post using my mobile ..meaning my first draft may not be perfect.

Edit : I am guilty of editing this post too

4. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

My observation about my journey here is that, there are days when i feel like replying to different threads. It so happens that I reply to many threads even on the same day. But there are again days when I dont reply even when i have some opinion. Iam not sure why this tendency occurs.

Today I have responded to this thread and a couple of others:)

sindmani, Rihana and Sandycandy like this.
  5. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

I stay at home and sometimes don't step out for months. So for me its a great opportunity to talk to so many people around the world and gain from their knowledge and experience.

Some I find have great knowledge of almost about everything like @Nonya. Her posts are very knowledgeable.

Some have great experience like @GeetaKashyap and @Thyagarajan

Some have a very good understanding like @Sandycandy

Some I find innocent yet intelligent @nakshatra1

List goes on.

One thing that I feel should be there in settings. Like if I post more than once in a thread then the like that they show in the alert should take us to that particular post for which the like has been selected. At present the link take us to the thread.

6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

The urge to know what happens to the poster's problem once you post your advice or opinion in their thread .

I still remember a thread from a poster who was pregnant and she suspected her husband was having an affair with the woman who he insisted was like a sister. I don't remember her name but wonder what happened to her.

Another poster was one whose parents forced her to marry her lover's senior at work( police) This husband got her pregnant by raping her and her entire family including her parents were okay with it just because they did not want her marrying her lover.Another poster here who knew her also posted on her thread and supported her rapist husband.
    I sometimes wonder what happened to that poor girl.

sumalynux, Amica, Rihana and 3 others like this.
  7. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

Horrific stories !

nakshatra1 and Rihana like this.
  8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:As for learning from the posts of seniors, I trust one should not judge the seniority by age alone as I do find enormous learning potential from young ones.
    2. When one clicks at “like” indication in a set of alerts, yes you reach to the opening part of the posted thread but after a second or two depending upon bandwidth to which your net is connected, it takes to the corresponding (your) post that has been marked liked by your (thread) follower.
    3. In areas of poor connectivity I presume one will have to be patient for few seconds more till this happens.
    Thanks and Regards.
    God Bless! Us All.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    Rihana likes this.
  9. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

In real life, I have huge and petty arguments on why 'lamb biryani' is tastier than 'chicken biryani' with my (intimate) friends. We would scoff and scream out and then exhaust away on our way to the restaurant and order 'jeera rice' instead to avenge each other. Real-life squabbles are easier to resolve. In one or the other way, we would rue for having ordered 'jeera rice' over a fight ...because of you ..no because of your strop we ordered that bland rice and come to senses. Eventually, we reconcile to our foolishness of having lost on a scrumptious biryani owing to our never-ending pouts and preferences.

In virtual forums, there is no need to reconcile with strangers. You may take an interest yet no obligation to remain friends from afar. Estranged members can go about sidelining with their sympathetic pals and tuck in the 'jeera rice' and rave how delicious it was! How grand it was! How relieved they are of having moved on with 'jeera rice' as the biryani was never cooked to perfection! However, I noticed many times that virtual members also patch up albeit in subtle ways. Private squabbles dissolve sooner as the tiff is within the eaves-drop range. Whereas in public squabbles, with a hundred people watching the tamasha, it is discomfiting to be forthcoming with a conciliatory move after a spectacle. Would that gesture demonstrate that I am wrong? Hence, public altercations seemingly become a matter of pride than ego. But here at IL, two members could have a fierce argument on Ethics and then embrace each other over their woes of cooking in Instant Pot.

The habit I have cultivated over time in the wake of many fireworks and observing how other members have carried themselves with no hostility: don't shy away from catching up with the member overcoming speculation (will she talk?), upturned nose (let her talk first!) or slack (what is there to talk! itna ho gaya ab).

Virtual camaraderie is no different. Members are eager to reconcile and forgiving of each other's lapses. Just a "hello you" in an unrelated thread should do. I have observed and imbibed this from past and present members who kinda pioneered this well-disposed and cheerful interaction here.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  10. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

Then my net must be slow.

Yes young ones too have very good knowledge and experience but that don't make your experience any less. Words also show so much about a person even if we cannot see them.

Rihana and Thyagarajan like this.