NAGALAND - a land of UNTOUCHED beauty !!

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Sudha Kailas, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Sudha Kailas

Sudha Kailas IL Hall of Fame

My <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Holiday</st1:place> in Nagaland

I am sure you all had a lovely time travelling with me virtually through Assam, so let us proceed to Nagaland……….the untouched virgin state of the Naga tribes !!

We left in the wee hours on 25<SUP>th</SUP> October from Majuli Kamalabari Ghaat by ferry to reach Jorhat Nimatighaat which is an upstream ride of one and half hours and journeyed towards Nagaland. You need to get border pass duly signed from the Government of <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">India</st1:country-region></st1:place> and show it to the border police in TULI….the border village for JORHAT and NAGALAND.

7 people like this.

2. Sudha Kailas

THE SIGN BOARD THAT IMPRESSED ME AT THE BORDER !!

View attachment 145182
    We reached MOKOKCHUNG on 25<SUP>th</SUP> October afternoon after passing through some smooth roads, some bumpy roads, the first town in Nagaland. The place is so rich in greenery. Here the AO TRIBE live.

THE LONG WINDING ROAD LEADING US TO MOKOKCHUNG

View attachment 145183

6 people like this.
  3. Sudha Kailas

ONE THING WE SHOULD KNOW ABOUT NAGALAND IS THAT IS THIS STATE HAS VARIOUS TRIBES WHO ARE DIFFERENT FROM ONE ANOTHER AND THEIR SHAWLS PLAYS A MAJOR ROLE IN IDENTIFYING THE TRIBE !! THERE ARE VARIOUS TRIBES LIKE THE AO, CHANG, SANGTAN, SUMI, POCHARI, REGNMA, PHOM, LOTHA, KHIMNUINGAN, KONYAK, ANGAMI, CHAKHESONG, ZELLANG, YIMCHIUNGRU.

View attachment 145184
    BOTH THE MEN AND THE WOMEN FOLK WEAR BEAUTIFUL HEAD GEARS,BEADED GIRDLES, COLOURFUL SHAWLS AND NECKLACES.
    View attachment 145185

9 people like this.
  4. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

Hi sudha,

thanks a lot for sharing your experiences,,its lovely

5. Sudha Kailas

We reached MOKOKCHUNG around mid afternoon and had great difficulty enroute getting vegetarian food. Being a Vegetarian myself had a tough time !! They look at you strangely when you ask them for curds/yoghurt/dahi/buttermilk !!
    View attachment 145187

Our first view of this small town was from the tower when the SUN was ready to disappear for the day !! What a beauty !!

View attachment 145188
    Panoramic View of the Sunset !!

View attachment 145189

8 people like this.
  6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Sudha dear glad I am the first to give the fb. I think you are still posting . My leg ispaining . So will come back later and read it. Nice to know about Nagaland and the people there. Though I might not get a chance to go there its nice to read and I felt I also travelled with you.

7. Sudha Kailas

I must tell you here….. the shops open by 10ish and close by 3.30ish since the SUN sets early. By 5.30, the town is almost in darkness and nobody ventures out due to thugging or fear for being mugged.

We enjoyed the scenic beauty of this town and celebrated DIWALI EVE in our rooms with HALDIRAM’S SONPAPDI !!
    The next day we proceeded in the jeep towards WOKHA another town.
    We passed through UNGMA village comprising the AO TRIBE where the old man of the village (the only person who spoke Hindi / English) directed us to 3 MONUMENTS that has statues of Naga warriors, the MORONG HOUSE.
    View attachment 145191

5 people like this.
  8. Sudha Kailas

Their houses are so unique ie, the roof is shaped like a NAGA (snake’s) hood !!
    One has to compliment the State of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:State w:st="on">Nagaland</st1:State></st1:place> and the tribal villages for maintaining a clean habitat. It is a hilly country where water and electricity is so precious but our NAGA friends definitely need a standing applause for maintaining this. The below picture depicts it !!
    View attachment 145192

This is a dustbin !! The crafter in me prompted me to click this too !!

View attachment 145193

4 people like this.
  9. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sudha
    Its my first time reading your posts/snaps/narrative, .... indeed class apart!!! You took me along with you to experience everything from the nature, sunset, food and their style of life! What an Idea Sirji (mamji).
    Mega

10. AnjanaSawant

AnjanaSawant Gold IL'ite

Very nice!!! Thanks dear for sharing this with us!