1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mylapore Mamies and MNC Negotiations (Chithra, Please Forgive Me)

Discussion in 'Saturdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Jun 13, 2008.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

My Dear GFs,

I am pleased to extend a warm welcome to all of you to my newest post,
    "I Was Hurt! I Am Fine!" which I will be posting a few minutes from now.

I had abstained from posting anything new for a while and I am breaking my silence with this post.

Waiting with bated breaths to see you there.

love,

2. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    Really commendable comparison, who else can think of this but you?
    When it comes to haggling there is no one to beat my DH.He is like you for a 200 bucks difference will go around town to find the best deal.I have learnt a few tips form him but in this cannot make a perfect match for him though.Iam a mylaporean yet to qualify for mami.....heheeeeee!!!

3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Varlotti,

HAHA.You have one hell of a sense of humour.If i was the shopkeeper i would never haggle with u.You are way too smart.loved the 5 Ruppee thing.Superb.

Regards.kamal

4. varalotti

Dear Janani,
    thanks.
    Non-violent and non-exploiting bargain is a skill which requires years of training. Money bargained is money saved and money saved is money earned. When the traders allows you to haggle the prices, it just means that he had already provided for your haggling. He would have easily added a cool 20% extra to offset any price reduction you may wrangle out of him. If you don't bargain you just let him keep that extra 20% over and above his profit margin.

Janani, you bowled me over with that statement. To be a MM it is enough if you are a woman (and not a girl) and you hail from Mylapore. I don't think you need to pass any special exams to become a MM. You are already one.
    regards,

5. varalotti

Dear Kamal,
    thanks for the nice words. If you were the shopkeeper I would never haggle with you. Why should I? Once you know that Varalotti is there you are not going to charge him any thing, are you? So why should I bargain.
    thanks once again, Kamal.
    regards,

6. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    I meant the haggling skills and my age don't let me qualify for the MM as yet.
    Mamis are over 40 plus right???

7. varalotti

Dear Janani,
    I went to Wikipedia and searched all the available on-line dictionaries and Thesauruses all over the Net. No where does it say that a Mami has to be 40 plus.
    That does not mean that we can call a 15 year old girl, a Mami. The moment a girl becomes a lady and qualifies to wear a sari (not necessarily madisar) she becomes a mami.
    howzz that?

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Varlotti,

I hope u remember the saying “ Agar Ghoda Ghas Se Dosti Karega, tho bhookha marega”.So since everyone will bargain with me, but not an I lite, I would charge u more than others.HAHA.

So u should believe the saying “ If u see a Sindhi and a Snake, kill the Sindhi first”.By the way I am a Sindhi.

First u come to my shop, then we shall duiscuss money matters over a nice cup of coffee, what say Varlotti.

Superb blog, just loved yr sense of humour.Regards.kamal

9. varalotti

Dear Kamal,
    I have heard of that Sindhi proverb and after moving with many Sindi friends, I am now convinced that it is totally false. You are one standing evidence to say that the proverb is false.
    I need to thank you for one great concession you have shown to me. For you have agreed to talk over a cup of coffee. I know that you normally deal in Black Labels (saw it in your congratulatory post to Balajee FP winner) and you had wanted Veda Vyasan to bring a bottle for you and leave the same with Cheeniya.
    If you are going to take coffee to accommodate this teetotaler nerd, then I am moved and touched,Kamal.No bargaining. You've got the deal in your terms. ha ha ha
    love,

10. rvnachar

rvnachar Silver IL'ite

Dear Varalotti,

That was a very humorous and wonderful post! I have always held this opinion that an ordinary homemaker (MM in your language) is much more efficient than an MBA from IIM, for she can handle multiple tasks with all the problems attached to them, with ease, accuracy and care, except for those emotional outbursts, which are but essential to release the tension. Hence, haggling is one more of a great trait that a woman has, which an MNC pays for through their noses! Congrats!

Sudha Narasimhachar