1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

MyBlog- 21 (Acute discomfort of being on H4 visa)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Pragmatic, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Pragmatic

Pragmatic New IL'ite

Flying to USA, Wow!!
    Gonna stay in US for long , Great!!
    Got your H4 visa stamped, Amazing!!
    Your hubby works in US , He is on long term assignment , you are so lucky , you will have lots of fun in US , you can travel around n enjoy the culture of US.....

Aawww..these are the wonderful comments we get to hear from our well wishers when we crack the news of flying to US along with the spouse.

Even I got wings when my marriage was fixed with my darling hubby who is employed in USA and I was all overjoyed, rolled n wrapped in my sweet dreams of living in USA.
    And yeah! those dreams did come true ...I find this place extremely well organized ...far from hassles ...people are so courteous n helpful...beautiful weather ....soaking in the rains... first snowfall n my first little snowman....living independently away from obligations of relatives...wearing all kinda modern attire...living in a posh apartment..Oh everything is beautiful ...touchwood!! Its been amazing experience till date. For past one year ...I have been relishing the treat of staying in USA but gradually the pain of sitting idle at home throughout the day started to bug me ...Now the urge of going back to work has started creeping within me!!
    Alas ...I hold H4/dependent visa ...I can't work! I discussed the possibilities n workarounds with my husband but the ground reality is that I cannot take up work on this visa though I can study. But I am in no mood of further studies, I hold a post grad degree n furthermore I have worked back in Bangalore for 4 good years in software industry. I have enough education n experience to take up work. Though my Visa is hindering me to do so, I just hate being on H4 Rant

Wondering if I can do something else to keep myself occupied ....Help!!!!!!!!!!!!! :spin

Ideas n suggestions are welcome :|

Cheers
    Pragmatic

2. SeethaHari

SeethaHari New IL'ite

I heard that in NGO's , Hospitals or Universities, if they have openings they may take you on the job and covert your visa to work visa .

But kindly check the legalities .

SeethaHari

3. CarpeDiem

CarpeDiem Senior IL'ite

I can imagine how frustrating it could get. Volunteering at a local library or other NGOs is always an option. Hope something works out for you..Good Luck!

4. stepssneha

stepssneha New IL'ite

Same old story ... Mine as well ..so i can understand your frustration here and believe me currently I'm also going through the same. Only thing I'm looking forward to right now is dance class. This is a right time to nurture your old hobby. So in case you find out solution to this problem, do let me know as well !!!

5. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

hmm.. i can totally empathise you. how bout having a baby? ur time will fly away like anything. ;) i was on L2 but then didnt work and i took the opportunity to try out everything that i may not be able to try out here in india - i learnt swimming, went for keyboard class, organized indian new year party, tried out various and different recipe every day, etc.

6. Pragmatic

Pragmatic New IL'ite

Dance ...yea I love dancing ..I can go for that :)
    Having baby is also a good option ;)

Thanks all :) Love pragmatic

7. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Pragmatic, baby is not an option.

Both of you really have to be prepared both emotionally and financially to have a baby. Just b'coz you have nothing to do dosen't mean you have a baby.

8. Pragmatic

Pragmatic New IL'ite

yea!! You are right ..I was just kidding ...It has to be a planned parenthood....

9. kaaya

kaaya Junior IL'ite

Dear Pragmatic,

Like your blog cause I can identify with it..I am on a H4 and have arrived here 2 months ago.There are many similarities in our life.

I hold a post grauduation with an MBA from Xaviers and an engineering degree in electrical. Had a high profile career as an analyst where I used to work 24/7.

This is like being on a vacation with many beautiful memories and fresh opportunities. But the visa constraints can get frustrating.

How have I been dealing with it?

I am part of SF school volunteers and I teach for 6 hours in a week. I write on hub pages and maintain a blog - looks like you are into writing as well, so it will be easy if u can get onto hub pages.

I am studying and preparing for a few diplomas and certifications which will help anyone in the long run.

I have written a blog on being a H4 too - Desicritics.org: The Real Deal - Life on a Dependent Visa in the USA

10. Riya23

Riya23 New IL'ite

Dear Pragmatic,
    Did u find ways to keep ur self occupied??

I'm an MBA from Garden city college, Bangalore. Specialized in HR. I was working with IBM India as a HR executive. It was jus 4 months into IBM n I got married n had to move to US. H4 visa..

My total work exp is less than a yr.. :( Is thr any possibility of work from home or anytn that u can think of?

Currently I'm at Louisville, Kentucky.