My Trip to Golden Triangle of Orissa

Discussion in 'Travel' started by vjbunny, Nov 29, 2011.

1. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

[JUSTIFY]
    This Deepawali we spent in touring Orissas most popular tourist destination aptly called as Golden Triangle with Puri, Bhubhaneshwar and Konark forming the vertices of the triangle….To start with we started from our place to Puri by Duranto express previously I had heard a lot about Duranto express but never had a chance to travel in it...so was somewhat excited about it but my excitement died soon after seeing the colour of the train Good Lord how can they paint it like that? It looked as if the painter has done lousy job. Later the food was much talked about. In this dept too it was not so good…By late night we reached Puri….we headed to the hotel…The hotel was very nice…

Next day morning refreshed from good nights sleep we set out to beach and had very refreshing long morning walk along the beach then to decide our travel plans consulted travel agent who said tour bus operates very early by 7 in the morning; so there was no chance of us heading out so we decided to visit Jagannathji first and deliver the loads of messages I carried on behalf of my friends ..That day being Deepawali Amavasya day the temple road was full of people especially rural who came to perform rituals for their families departed souls…It was carried outside the temple. Inside the temple imagine hundreds of people doing shradhdha Puja and the road and temple filled with tarpans - it was sheer chaotic, but the spirit of people kept you wondering at their energy….We joined the queues and were literally carried up to the Lords lotus feet there a Pande allowed us inside the sanctum sanctorum for Rs 100and we had very close darshan Of Lord Jagannatha Subhadra and Balaram…
    Next day we hired a car to visit Konark, Bhubhaneshwar…we started early by 7am the road to Konark is the coast side the early morning cool breeze wind the soothing rays of young Sun n the tree lined smooth road with sea roaring on one side is sheer bliss not to be missed….we stopped the car at many points to see the beautiful view of the sea…..we reached Konark by 10am there hired a guide to take tour of the temple…..

Konark is one of many mesmerizing temples of India …Only sorry thing is it crumbling fast though restoration work is going on..Whats very disappointing is the sanctum sanctorum of the temple has been filled up with stone structure to prevent it from collapsing further ….so you get to see only exteriors….The marvel of exteriors makes me wonder how magnificient the interior would have been….

The guide told us that the temple complex gopuram had magnets installed to hold the structure intact…But Vasco-da Gama who used the sea route for trade had problems with this magnetic compass erratic display soon he came to know the reason …and had the magnets removed and from that day it is belived the structure is crumbling…

There are 24 wheels of time on either side of the chariot like structure …with the help of which one can tell the approx time of the day…..Also I found in ancient days Indian ladies wore high heels n used vanity bags n back packs too….

It took us almost 2 hours to see thru the whole place with guide telling us stories and pointing to us the magnificence of the sculpture …..

Later we headed towards Bhubhaneshwar by 1 had lunch on way and swa the peace Pagoda at Dhauli….then headed to famous Lingaraj temple by the time we reached there it was already 6 n it was dark we returned back to hotel….
    Next day we went to Chilika lake it is said to be only lake to join sea and dolphins can be seen since it is a lake…the dolphins don’t jump in air but you can spot them swimming but no chance of capturing on camera unless you are lucky to click at appropriate moment…At Chilika lake fisher man sell pearls n gems they brought from the sea…I had written a snippet too if interested can check ...

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/s...on/150338-pearl-in-the-shell.html#post2002969

We returned by 4 and had rest spent some more time by beach the next day..we returned back….

Dear Friends here uploaded pics ..

[/JUSTIFY]

2 people like this.

2. shashiv

shashiv Gold IL'ite

Dear Vjbunny,

Well narrated ....Having good darshans on Diwali day..Any photos....
    Happy that you enjoyed your trip..

Shanti

1 person likes this.
  3. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

HI vjbunny:

Your Orissa trip made a good read. Would love to see some snaps that you could share with us.

Sindhu

1 person likes this.
  4. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

VJB,

Nice to know that you had wonderful trip to orissa ....

1 person likes this.
  5. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Dear VJbunny,

Thanks for sharing this wonderful experiance. I am sure you must be feeling rejuvenated as ever!!!

Just today we watch a programme on TRAVEL channel about the Konark Sun temple. Yes sad but true, it is in bad shape. Hope that our government will be able to do something fast to protect such heritage sites.

The Chilika lake sounds great. Hope we can make a trip there now after reading your post that it is a great idea!!!

1 person likes this.
  6. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shanti...,
    Nice to know that you liked the post...I have put photos pls chk....

7. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sindhu...,

8. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Anisu,

9. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear RKG...,
    Yes the trip rejuvenated me....Chilika is simply superb beyond words you should go without fail...unfortunately I dint take snaps