1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Toddler Is Making Me Crazy

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by sanjuruby3, May 9, 2017.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Read this:
    http://csgreeley.org/sites/default/files/files/1-2-3-magic.pdf

The book also is worth getting from the library and reading. The method works, but needs both parents to be practicing it consistently. Takes a few weeks, but changes in child and parent-child relationship are marked. This was one of the few "western" books that I found worked for our "Indian American" household.

When you first read the article or book, it can feel like "Oh this is not going to work with my child! Our situation is too far gone for this strategy to work."

But, it will work. Little by little. It is like cleaning up a room that is totally messed up -- like after a burglary : ) You have to start at one spot, one square foot, clear it up. Then, move to the next. Soon, you will have some space to stand, and turn and look around......

2. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Wow, the method seems quite simple. I will try when my son becomes difficult.

Rihana likes this.
  3. Rihana

Say "if" na... :)

4. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for sharing, I am looking into reading a parenting book- this will set us a nice path. Any parental book suggestions for toddlers?

5. Rihana

I've read gazillion books on parenting. Used to bring them by the bagful from the library. DH used to say if you read all those where will you have time for parenting. : )

I found only the 1-2-3 magic and the below two books useful:
    How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk: Adele Faber, Elaine Mazlish: 9781451663884: Amazon.com: Books
    How to Talk So Teens Will Listen and Listen So Teens Will Talk: Adele Faber, Elaine Mazlish: 9780060741266: Amazon.com: Books

Even DH agreed with some of the tips I narrated to him from these books, which is huge.. as he rolls his eyes at the idea of reading article/book/guide for parenting.

Looks like the daughter of the author has recently written a book about parenting 2-7 yrs old. Came out in January 2017. I haven't read it, but the amazon preview showed a few pages that looked good - had real life examples of parent-child conversations that go wrong, and how parent could do it differently.
    How to Talk so Little Kids Will Listen: A Survival Guide to Life with Children Ages 2-7: Joanna Faber, Julie King: 9781501131639: Amazon.com: Books

KashmirFlower and blindpup10 like this.
  6. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks @Rihana for the suggestion. @sanjuruby3- you should read one of the parenting books and be consistent in implementing rules. When it comes to children being consistent will help.

7. prestine

prestine Silver IL'ite

Dear op,

1) lots of screen time makes the kid hyper

2) read and implemented this advice to my dd who was like that when she was 2 yr , so when she cries, talk softly in her ears that "I understand xyz is bothering you, are you (hungry,sleepy,thirsty or etc)" .use her names multiple times when you do that. She will feel that you are trying to understand her and for certain there will be a change

3. Please do not limit the water level, potty training should never be forced, keep trying, there is no rule when kids should get trained. Every kid is different and will be trained when they feel ready. My dd got fully trained when she was 3. And it's okay

4. Less water intake will make the kid more cranky.

5. She knows to control you, she gets things done by screaming, do not respond to her scream, talk softly and wait for her to mellow down

sindmani and KashmirFlower like this.
  8. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

I tried the method last night, when my son got hyper and didn't want to sleep. He was climbing the side table, trying to distract me by showing me his cars and picking up books to read. He knows the numbers, but I never used them in this way, but he started scuttling over when I said "2". By "5". He was in bed and ready to tuck in.

9. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

Hi OP,
    lot of good suggestions here. Stay strong and patient as you are applying these suggestions. IF you need to take few breaks from looking after your daughter on weekends, pls take them. You will need to recharge yourself as she shows a change in her reactions.

I am just taking a different angle to this situation. Have you noticed the change in her behavior recently? Has anything changed in her eating habits? Many times, toddlers react strongly due to more sugary food or foods that contain gluten and casein. It may not be applicable for your daughter but if you want to test it out, it will not hurt.

Try to limit her sugar content especially near to her nap or night sleeping time. Also, try organic milk without allergens and preservatives ( if you are already not doing so) for a few weeks. She may not like it initially but until try as much as you can.
    IT may take some time to show effect. After this, if you notice she is calmer and attentive to you or her father, it most definitely can be a food based/ allergen trigger. In that case, please find an NAET (Nambudripad's Allergy Elimination Techniques practitioner) nearby.
    What is NAET? | NAMBUDRIPAD’S ALLERGY ELIMINATION TECHNIQUES

Take care.

xoxo,
    blessings1010

sindmani, blindpup10 and BhumiBabe like this.
  10. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

@Rihana The numbers method really worked with my DS. It was tough at the beginning, if doesn't listen after 5, i used to take break for 5 min and let him do what he wants and again started count, with in 3 days he was on track. Now he knows if i started counting he has to do it, by 2 is listen's to me.
    One a funny note, one day he wanted to eat some junk at dinner time, when i said no he started counting numbers for me :tearsofjoy:.