1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

My terrace garden

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Shanvy, Feb 19, 2009.

1. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shanvy,
    You have got lovely garden and your inputs are very helpful....Will you please clarify what to do if roots out grow the pot?..

Nem oil + dishwashing liquid in what proportion n how to mix with water that is how much water should be used....Keeping my fingers crossed that you may view this post n answer my questions...

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

vjbunny,

I do cut the excess roots, in the plants when i repot the plant. i have moved away to a new place, and as construction is going on, my friends have taken the plant pots from me as gift saying that i can grow them again.

you have to change the soil in the pot once a year or once in two year. i do trim the roots of the hibiscus, arali and all. others do not pose that kind of a thread.

for the neem oil+dishwashing liquid..i use 1tsp of each in a 250ml of water.. mix it nicely and spray. infact i use a old colin bottle for the same..it is easier to concentrate on the leaf and stem with the spraying from the bottle.

3. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shanthi,
    The yellw hibiscus is very nice. My hubby also had brought one from the nursery I was telling that we do not have any hibiscus in our terrace garden. At Pallikaranai we had different colours of hibiscus, but the red one used to give plenty of flowers. Here in our small terrace we can't keep too many plants. We do have banana plant and the henna is coming nicely. We have mudakkarran which is a climber and a medicinal plant. Karpuravalli could be used for making bajji and also the juice extracted from it could be used to make omapodi instead of using ajwan/omam.
    Love,
    PS

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

pushpamam

that cost me around 100rs a plant, and somebody stole the whole pot from my terrace.

i admire the way you are maintaining your garden. I make karpooravalli, tulasi kashayam for my kids.for their cold. also kuzhambu just like karivepillai.

there are wonders in having these plants at home. the banana plant that i had looked too dwarfed in the plant that i gifted it to my friend to be planted in the soil. even the lemon tree i rescued from the street.

thanks for the encouragement.

5. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shanvy,
    Thanks for the info....your pot stolens thats too bad ....
    You have been mentioning of kashayam why dont you share the recipe ....

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

vbunny,

I have given that recipe a few times in the parenting section. i think there is one thread on how to increase the immunity of kids..i have given it there too..

i have lost a few that way. i usually leave it under the care of my neighbours when i go to muscat, on vacation..so 2 months..people enjoy the flowers, and somebody steals it too..

now i have moved to a different place, let me see how it works.

7. pramila.f

pramila.f Gold IL'ite

Your plants are really nice, the flower is feast to my eyes

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

thank you pramila.

9. malligashivaram

malligashivaram Gold IL'ite

Shanvy congrats dear friend you have made the plants grow so wonderfull in pots just loved the yellow hibiscus fantastic feel like giving you a visit to have a better look thanks for sharing sis

10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Wow Shanvy, what a lovely garden. Wish I had that much space. :)