1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

My terrace garden

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Shanvy, Feb 19, 2009.

1. krispriya

krispriya Platinum IL'ite

hi shanthi, your terrace garden is good.:thumbsup:thumbsup& your mangoes r great.:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Preeths,

Guess what, i did have a balcony garden with tulsi,moneyplant, mint, chrysanthemem even when i was in bahrain.

We used to stay in um al hassam.

it is a beautiful hobby. try it.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

krispriya,

thank you. the mangoes were from a neighbours tree, that i clicked (owner's pride and neighbours envy style.:biglaugh:rotfl.)

4. uma_vijayakumar

uma_vijayakumar New IL'ite

Dear Shanthi,

You terrace garden looks nice.
    You had informed in your post that you have given away banana and lemon tree grown in pot. Can we really grow banana and lemon in pot. If so, please guide me and what is the variety that we have to plant.

Thanks & Regards,
    Uma

5. aparnag

aparnag Platinum IL'ite

Dear shany.
    it is so nice to see your garden.
    wonderful..

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Uma,

The banana plant and lemon i saved from the pathway near my house. the lemon grew into a small tree, and banana was ok, but the leaves were not so big, a smaller version, we had some repairs on the roof top so gave it away.

I have the hibsicus, and other plants on the terrace. the only thing you have to be careful is about the roots, the roots may take hold on the roof if left unnoticed.

thanks aparna. you are from madipakkam i suppose.

7. snowy

snowy New IL'ite

Dear Shanthi,

You have a wonderful terrace garden in pots and you write very informative posts for all of us - thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.
    And I can very well appreciate your love (or should I say passion) for gardening with the frequent water shortages coz I am from chennai too.

I know that this is a very old thread, but I do hope you check this up, at least once in a while.

I am new to this gardening and we started growing some plants because my son, who is a eco club member wanted to. We tried some seed starting and were really thrilled when the tomato plants, some dhania, methi and mulai keerai sprouted. Only two of the four tomato seedlings survived the transplanting process (wonder what I did wrong).

There are so many squirrels and other rodents in the balcony and they eat off a lot of stuff. Lost the first tomato which was barely a kid. I know you grow veggies in the rooftop - how do you save your vegetables from these visitors ?

Also my mulai keerai leaves have so many holes in them -I dont see any insect - how to tackle this without any chemical fertiliser ?

I will be really grateful if you can give me some suggestions.

Thanks and Regards,
    Kalpana.

8. Padhmu

Padhmu IL Hall of Fame

lovely pots with attractive flowers. thanks for sharing.

9. OOPALL

OOPALL Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    Thanks for sharing. You have a very green thumb. All the plants look healthy and awesome.

OOPALL>

10. deepthyanoop

deepthyanoop Gold IL'ite

Hi Shanvy,

I am really inspired by your garden, though we are not having much space in the balcony.

I am also trying to grow a lemon tree in pot,trying to make it a bonsai.Also sow some chilly seeds in a small pot.Will post soon.

regards,
    Deepthy