1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Tea Story.....

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Scorpio707, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

Tea Story?? Now what is that you may think….you’ve heard of a love story, horror story, action and so on but “Tea Story” never isn’t it. Well today you will if you happen to read my post till the end :).

There’s so much talk and fuss on Coffee, like a lot can happen over a cup of coffee blah blah. Tea seems to be the lesser known kind among the masses. But here I am, an ardent addicted passionate lover of tea. Yes you heard it right :banana:– lover of tea. I remember those days while getting ready for school, right after my quick breakfast mom served tea while I flipped through the newspaper. What was I reading, daily astrology – LOL, that was something. I used to sit in the same spot right at the door trying to multitask with the paper in one hand and tea cup in another.

Over the years I became more and more in love with this routine of mine with just a few twists and turns here and there. For me it’s not just a simple cup of tea that I relish till date. It’s the memories, laughs and taunting that comes with it. Now you might think I have mastered the art of making a good cup of tea, let’s just say you think that way for a moment. Series of events that follows might –might prove it wrong ;).

The tea I make is loved, relished and had by me alone and no one has come close to liking it greatly, be it family or friends. I don’t have a definite answer to why it’s disliked, probably because it’s half and half (milk – water combo) with a just a little bit of sugar with tea leaves measured in one specific spoon.

A couple of years back I remember inviting a close friend of mine and a colleague home for lunch one day. Lunch was good, it all went well and then came time for tea. Being me I did what I would usually do in the evening – brewing tea:biggrin:. My colleague with his first sip gave me that killer look, second one he snapped saying – this was the worst tea he’s ever had in his life :roflmao:and is this the way someone makes tea?? I was not the least offended by what he said, in fact I still laugh recalling that moment. It came to me as no surprise that my friend seconded him. From that day on till date when my friend’s at my place, she always offers to make tea then me doing it. My tea is considered a very light colored flavorless water beverage with just a hint of milk. My mom, DH, near and dear ones politely refuse and prefer to make their own. Well suit yourself is what I say :hmmm:

My day though till today always starts with a hot cup of tea . I call it my “Me moment” :angel:, only then do I head to work. There’s something about having my tea in the wee hours of morning. When I bring my cup close just before I take my first sip, the smell, touch and feel – this might sound funny but there are times when I close my eyes and have it :lol:. It’s like feeling and embracing cosmic energy for that 5-8 minute time frame….Oh my tea what have you done to me!!! Not to forget the 15 minute drive back home excited that I’m done with the day and there awaits my tea all set to cheer me up.

Funny, silly and crazy it may sound, but what’s life without a little bit of madness in it. There’s plenty of trouble, drama and what not that goes on around us. It’s the simple pleasures in life that makes it worth living. My tea – makes my day and is worth coming back for. This is my “Tea Story” :grinning-smiley-048:

P.S. – If I invite you over to my place, you know what to expect – ;););).

shravs3, Amulet, poovai and 6 others like this.

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Meenu,

Let's simply say this - I read your tea story with my morning cup of coffee ;-) Like you, I am terrible at making tea and leave it to friends to serve good tea even in my own house even when they are visiting. It isn't like they dislike my tea, after all I use did dip wagh bakari chai bags, just that they make better tea. So it is understood with out talking much at all. I do love a good cup of tea especially the ones we get in the various sagars in India.

And guess what, just yesterday evening a dear friend gave me a big monogrammed cup for my tea! Can you believe that? Looking at the size of the mug, I have decided it will be used for green tea, only!

You are right, it is a wonderful feeling to come home to a up of tea, even if it is not the customary well made one! Who wouldn't want one in this cold weather. Enjoy your cuppas :)

Scorpio707 and Rihana like this.
  3. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@Scorpio707,

Lol! Enjoyed your Tea story. I loved this line,
    :thumbup: to your Tea moments.

Scorpio707 likes this.
  4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

I enjoyed your love for tea @Scorpio707 .

I love tea also; so much that if I read the word "tea" anywhere, I immediately start craving that rich, brown, hot, silky liquid. You know what? I love tea with crispy masala vadai. The combination is super. If you have not tried it, I recommend you do some time.

I, being a tea lover, was ready to ask your address so that i can invite myself to your tea parties, but you killed my eager anticipation with this line:
    I was in tears...

So, let me now go and make my flask full for the rest of the day.

Enjoyed this much.
    Do write more such light-hearted posts.

Scorpio707 and Rihana like this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Scorpio707,

If I could experience cosmic energy, I would do anything. Unfortunately, I am not a tea drinker but my wife and son are big fans of tea. They use Keurig Tea-maker to make their tea. My son takes only tea with no sugar while my wife likes tea with milk and sugar. Occasionally, I ask them what flavor they drink and when they give a sip, I feel they have specialized in learning what to buy. How many flavors are out there in the market?

Viswa

Scorpio707 likes this.
  6. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

For years, I drink only particular brand of tea. I take my tea bags to India when I travel.

2-Tetley British blend tea bags
    2 cups of skim (Dean's) milk,
    1-teaspoon of sugar

The tea has to be piping hot and frothy - A 'pulled tea' in my own mug!
    (almost a sombu sized!)

Reading local news and tea comes first in the morning.
    It is my own quite time for at least 15-20 minutes.

Otherwise, my day will not be good! I will be cranky all day.

Many of my friends add - ginger, elaichi. I don't like any flavored version of it. Usually, I avoid
    drinking tea in other's place because it leaves a bad taste of tea.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    Scorpio707 likes this.
  7. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Tea is a ceremony in some countries. [So is coffee in the land of its origin]
    A ceremony is simply a "mindful" task, with a "ceremoniously" repetitive action, each time you do it. ZEN! Your Tea Ceremony, in school/office uniform, reading newspaper, and drinking Tea, may even have a following, a cult, or a religion. Call home and find out.

I drink Tea when in Oriental restaurants. Mostly in the "popular" restaurants, where they serve tea in large kettles, black tea & jasmine tea are the two popular kinds, and they let you serve your own. We are used to restaurants where we could come, order, have the tea and wait for our order to get served.

The snootier kinds of restaurants (with garden, koi fish, stone lamps) that only serve to native, and wealthy clientele, have tea (the dry leaves) in several varieties, and once we make a choice (or take their recommendation) they serve the tea leaves in the tea pot, add hot water, and go away for a bit. If the customers are new at Tea-Chinese-style, they might serve their own Tea in the tea cups that are part of the place setting, and do this before the waiter comes back (with his waste water bucket). When the waiter comes back, and he finds that the customers had not served themselves, he beams at them in appreciation (cognoscenti!!). Then he pours a little hot tea into each of their cups, swirls it and dumps it into his waste bucket. All the tea cups are warmed this way. And all the tea that had been brewing in the tea pot is also poured into the waste bucket. Then, the waiter pours more hot water into the tea pot, and takes away the wash water with him.

Tea leaves are usually washed (first brew) for 20 to 30 seconds and the wash water is supposed to remove whatever adventitious stuff that is stuck on the surface of the tea leaves, open the shrunken-dry leaves, and its pores. Then, in the second brew, the pure tea is brewed for the customer. The hot water in the kettle is also a little cooler by that time, and at a proper temperature for the tea brewing.

Customers who had hurried, and served their own tea, and had even taken a sip before the waiter came back with his wash bucket, would be very surprised when the waiter comes, takes each of their cups, tosses what they had not drunk into his waste bucket, then pours more "tea" (surface wash water) into their cup, swirls it, and dumps it once again into his bucket. All the while, holding his lips tight, and not making eye-contact with any [of the barbarians!] at the table. Such wash-water drinking ignoramus are usually from that lot going to "popular" Chinese restaurants in their countries, drinking either jasmine or black tea.:facepalm:

HK, Macau* and some select places in the china towns of SFO and NYC have these kinds of places, with the original chinese customs.

*Countries where Indian passport gets a tourist visa at the airport; no need to apply ahead of time. Cathay Pacific (nonstop daily from Chennai) has some unbelievably low fares in off-seasons (non school, college holidays)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    Scorpio707 likes this.
  8. Scorpio707

So glad to hear from you Sabitha...I take comfort in knowing that I am not alone in this :) . Wagh bakari tea bags are my stop gap arrangement, I keep it in my office desk cabinet. Oh this weather :rolleyes: , makes me long for more than one cup of tea because I am done in a jiffy - can you imagine ?

Hope to see one of your magical blogs soon and my gut feeling tells me it's just around the corner :biggrin:.

Srama likes this.
  9. Scorpio707

Hahaha....yeah me and my tea :D. Thanks Geeta, appreciate your response.

10. Scorpio707

Nice to know you love tea as well, cheers to that :beer-toast1:. Your tea is definitely poles apart from mine though:).

Now why did you mention masala vadai, I feel like having them now. I love it so much that I can have it as a meal :D. Being a south Indian it comes as no surprise what a combination it is - marriage made in heaven. Making vadai is one favorite thing for me to do on festivals, enjoy the whole process. You can count on me for tea - vadai parties ;).

Thank you.

kkrish likes this.