1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Stainless Steel Vessels!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by malspie, Nov 19, 2007.

1. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Dear Friends,

I have suddenly started missing my Stainless Steel Vessels. As a kid I remember running in to kitchens where we can see neatly arranged (heightwise) stainless steel containers, smiling brightly at all of us. Those small davras (vati) and glasses, tall steel glasses, oil cans with decorative lids in steel, tall steel containers with flap lids, wow!! where are they. I also recollect how lovingly the ladies would go and join the chit fund of shops and there would be lucky draw and eagerly they would pounce on the tall steel tiffin carriers, kapi (coffee) filter cans, idli cookers, milk cookers. Wow!! I am missing my steel vessels. I miss the nice oval or round steel plates, those leaf life plates, plates with photos of gods and goddesses engrossed on them, small steel plates for tiffin *break fast / snacks" . Where are my steel vessel? Drinking water was stored in tall steel drums with a tap .. Today the steel containers are replaced with Tupperware cans and Pear Pet cans, drinking water is from 'Aquaguard' or some other branded filter, steel glasses are bashed with crystal glasses, steel cups are thrashed with designer cups, food is served in crockeries. The kitchen today looks "Hip and Happening" but the kitchen of yesteryears was "bright and shinning". I have suddenly started missing my stainless steel vessels. Lets all mourn for the lovely SS.:cry:

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

We, in Chennai, specially the middle class in Mylapore still use of our stainless steel vessels only. I must have my coffee only from tumbler-davara ! An ugh(!) to the mug !
    We do not have the habit of sipping ( considered echil by our elders); so the tumbler with the overflowing edge called viLimbu, only serves the purpose.
    Every now & then I pay a visit to the famous steel shop Rathna Stores in Pondy Bazar, to update meself in the latest arrivals in the stainless steel vessel front - the last, I bought was an extra set of mini-idli plates.I can never cook without my steel vessels !
    Love,
    Chits.

3. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Hai dear mals

I dont have words to say ..since chitra mam have told everything........

And though i have tupper ware container for evetrything..........still having lot of ................stainsteel vessels...........and like mam, even i would like to drink my coffee in davara tumbler only,my dad will shout if he see us drinking like that,and so iam used to it and i also personally feel bad to sip..... ( but got lot of and variety of cups,bowls and everything in TW for visitors and for my hubby and son........)

Eppa kuda i will feel extremly happy if anybody give me stainless steel tiffin box or any closed duppa for any occasion, i will preserve that....

And, i too have collections of .different sizes of idli thattu,bowls,kothu thooku etc........and used to engrave my name in that........

latamurali

4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mals
    Another entertaining post from you. I still use stainless stell vessels for al my cooking. Infact I'm planning a list of what more I need to get. Every visit to madras is not complete without a trip to Rathna stores and the like. For me its also easy to clean and maintain. Ofcourse I use other plastic containers to store pulses manily because of visiblity. But old is gold and stainless steel is still gold and king of the kitchen. keep blogin.....

5. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Dear Chitu, Latha and AC.

I am so happy to know that stainless steel vessels are alive and kicking in so many houses. Rathna Stores seems to be a happening store for Chennai. Bye!!!

6. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Hi Mals,
    Due to the' echil' thing pointed out Chitvish, we also use the stainless steel vessels here.
    My husband is very strict in this regard, he by himself will not use the porcelain cups for tea. he uses stainless steel tumbler for it.
    i am also having 'anjana petti' also called the 'mini store' for the things we use to temper our cooking.
    The list goes on, we still use steel, because---steel is strong--did I remind of you the ad. in the TV for steel!

sriniketan

7. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Love the stainless steel vessels - they are alive and kicking in my house. I have the "anjala petti" and of course the round plates for eating as well as tiffin plates, steel tumblers and an assortment of other vessels for cooking. I do not use the steel tumblers for tea but I use it for water. There is no "echil" in our house - I never grew up with in a strict household and my in-laws dont follow that either. But I remember my amamma being very strict and we used to argue with her about those things!! I remember my amamma used to collect old clothes and trade it with the "paathara karan" who would come in a cycle with a lot of vessels. In some ways I have become my amamma - when I go to India, I love going to the stores and checking out the latest and of course buying some. God knows why - I have more than I need!!

8. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Oh Mals,
    Everyone have told everything. Yes I store the groceries in tupperware and pearlpet. But for cooking I use stainless steel utensils and non stick.

Coffee from the Davara and Tumbler; ada nalla our aathu aathi nurai thalumba nalla vaasanaiyoda early in the morning.... wow you cannot compare that to anything.

Small square plates for snacks, triangle plates for tiffin, round or oval plates according to the age group. But I also have glass tumblers, coffee mugs and porcelien plates which are reserved for guests who dont mind sipping their coffee or who dont take much special care about echil or pathu. At all those times my stainless steel plates and tumblers even will not show their faces on the tables. Even for serving I try to use the designer wares so that even if they serve themselves using their right hand, I need not worry about using the same vessels and the ladels for regular cooking and Swami Neivedhyam.

9. Jayalakshmiraj

Jayalakshmiraj New IL'ite

YES.. Rathna stores and Saravana of yesteryears before they expanded to include garments etc..

I used to visit Chennai for my training sessions lasting some weeks. I used to collect the latest designs from these stores and go to the hostel. You wont believe, my collegues from Mumbai Delhi and other places used to be impressed and they will all make the journey to Pondy Bazar and take the vessels to their places. It used to fun. The male colleagues used to wonder what is going on!

My maid of those days too used to very fond of these dabbas and vessels. She used to flick them often and I will replenish them in the next visit. Husband dear used to be very tired carting my packages form the station to home!

The best utility of these vessels is the careless handling we can do. After my marriage ( to a Goan), I was so clumsy with the delicate crockery of MIL. I broke a number of them, she was too good she never scolded me even. And finally all my in-laws have also started using SS.

10. slp807

slp807 Bronze IL'ite

Hey Mals,

good post, we still use stainless steel in our house but the main difference my mom use to say is that for marriages or any other occasions everyone used to gift stainless steel items like tumblers, plates(different for breakfast and lunch), bowls of different shapes and sizes.but now we hardly see the steel items as gifts.my mom got 4-5 big suitcases of steel items as gifts and we still have many of them.
    i sld get atlest some of them from her.