1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Son's Social Delay

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Kanmanidhev, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Kanmanidhev

Kanmanidhev New IL'ite

My son is 4.5 years old. His teacher is concerned about his social skills. My concern too..He is not having any interest in other children. He is not getting social cues. He started talking late at 2.5 years, now he is talking Tamil clearly and he is learning English(verbalizing). It's our fault too(1 year in India and 1 year in us). However, he is good at other skills like fine motor, cognitive skills.
    He writes alphabets, numbers,handling scissors, coloring, following directions he is on par with other 4 year old kids. He is comfortable with us. He is such a sweet boy with us, only at home. When we go to any Library storytimes, he will not sit at one place,he is not comfortable in groups. I have started to read books to him. He is not interested until last month. I'm seeing difference on him. Nowadays he is showing interest in books. He asks me to read again and again and he reads his favourite book too...
    He likes to play on empty playgrounds. If kids were there he will not come to play. At school playground, he will be playing alone on his own. At school also same, he is not caring about others kids.

His teacher told about her concern about his social and listening skills other than speech. So we mailed school district to get special education for him. We had our initial meeting last week along with his teacher. They didn't have any specific tools to evaluate him. Since he is good at other skills ,they don't think he is having education disability. For speech also he is learning English. So they are not able to evaluate him. They said they will go to his school and observe him. I'm not sure we will get help from school.
    Other than school who will diagnose him? We asked his pediatrician, they said he may be shy/language issues.
    Please help me, I don't know how to help my son to improve his social skills.will he outgrow it?