1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Next Set of Books Released. I Seek Your Wishes And Blessings!

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, Jan 5, 2007.

1. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

congrats

dear varolotti. congrats. i am very happy for you. i will definitely visit the book exihibtioon and buy the books. i will send the feedbacks. i am person who believes in encouraging people in their ventures. keep continuing. let the new year bring more good news for u. kanaka raghavan

2. Preethi

Preethi Gold IL'ite

CONGRATS, Varalotti

Dear Varalotti,

Firstly My Hearty Congratulations for the release of your two books...What a way to Start the year...its indeed a great start...Surely, When I come to Chennai, I will make it a point to include both these book of yours into my books purchase list.

Only thing is, if you're in Chennai at the time, I would have the previlege of meeting you in person and get your signature in those books, to boast to my friends that I know the author of the book personally. :) (small pleasure, what to do!)

I only wish you more and more success in the coming days Varalotti, May this year bring about more of Varalotti Padaipugal to us and may you keep adding more feathers to your cap !

Hope Varalotti's article's become tri-weekly for the book-lovers of this site, like me.

All the very best Varalotti, I only pray God to give you more and more happiness and success to you and to your dear and near one's who have played a vital role in your writer's life.

Love,
    Preethi

3. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Kamla, I owe it to you and all the ILites!

Dear Kamla,

Thanks for your kind wishes, Kamla. As I have been repeatedly telling that I owe it to the confidence I got from the beautiful FBs I received from ILites like you. I have been writing since 1998 and I have never had the confidence to approach a publisher. But once I started writing for IL, seeing the FBs, I got that confidence and took my work to Kavitha. Of course Raja (of Solomon Pappiah Group) had talked to them about me was a crucial factor.

Extensive researches done in the field of education and subsequent accomplishments show, that children coming from happy families do better than children coming from not so happy families, other things being equal. So the fact I was a child of this great, happy family really did help.

And the child wanted to give something back to the family. The most it could do was that intro.

Being the author myself I cannot say my work is good or bad. It is for you people to say. But one thing I am very sure. I enjoyed doing the work. I was satiated with happiness and satisfaction as I translated the stories of our brave soldiers.

thanks,
    sridhar

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  4. varalotti

Thanks, Meena!

Hello Meena,

Thanks, thanks and thanks.
    I will be happy if you can read the Tamil version of the Haunted House and also the translation work and post your reviews here.
    sridhar

5. varalotti

I am moved, Chitra!

Dear Chitra,

While the announcement of books thread has just opened, here I have a person who has read the whole book is able to post a rave review. I am moved, Chitra.

Manase's cover is really beautiful. I had the privilege of seeing it as a pencil drawing coloured by crayons on a brown sheet of paper (looked like the backside of a cover). Even this I fell in love with the beauty of the eyes of the woman. The eyes seem to look at you, and they seem not to look at you. The creative effort I could accomplish in 100s of pages, artist shyam did in a single page and in a single picture.

The other book was designed by a computer graphics artist. With the photographs of our soldiers and a slightly faded picture of a beautiful woman in the background it proclaims the theme of the book - for our soldiers their duty towards the country comes first, the women in their lives, though our soldiers did love them, come only second to the country.

Whatever words of praise you have about the translation work rightfully belongs to Col Gopal Purdhani, the original creator of these stories. And the credit also belongs to the worlds two most beautiful languages, English and Tamil, both of which lend themselves to beautifully expressing a variety of emotions at various depth-levels.

The original author had just captioned the second chapter Brigadier Bally. But I wanted to give more credit to the brave, loving and ever-forgiving Brigadier. Hence I chose பாட்டுடைத்தலைவன்.

Seeing a lot of poetry in the book, I first told my publisher that I will translate the stories and you get hold of a good poet to render the poems into Tamil. But the publisher insisted that he was not interested in involving anybody else for the book. So in order to justify the confidence reposed in me, I gave my life heart and soul to the work of translating the gazals. If they look good in my words, they will certainly look better in the words of the author and better still in their original urdu form.

Since you had touched on the way I worked on this translation work, let me tell you what happened. I used to read one chapter at a time. Then let it soak into my being for a day. Then have the book before me and translate line by line. But I took enormous liberties with translation.

For example when we translate from Tamil to English, the sentence,
    என் வயிறு பற்றி எரிகிறது. should not be translated as My stomach was burning. (and therefore call the fire engine).
    I avoided these kind of mistakes but was faithful to the spirit of the original work. Certain expressions I could not find prevalent in Tamil. So I dropped them. But in some areas Tamil had expressions which English didn't have. In such cases I wrote the Tamil expressions though they were not strictly in the original.

Thanks for your kind wishes, Chitra.
    sridhar

6. varalotti

Thanks Vijee Madam

Dear Vijee,

Thanks a ton. Yes the books are available in Madurai. They are available in Sarvodaya Ilakkia Pannai (near the Regal Theatre). It will be better to enquire over phone before visiting the shop. The phone number is 0452 - 2341746.

Thanks for your kind new year wishes. Indhu and Preethi join me in thanking you for that and wishing you and yours a very happy new year.

Take your time and when you are comfortable come to IL for greater interaction with the ILites.
    regards,
    sridhar

7. varalotti

I am touched, Gayathri!

Really touched when you said that you are going to learn Tamil in order that you may read my writings. But let me assure you, even if my writings are not upto the mark, your learning another language, especially something as rich as Tamil will never go waste and will stand you in good stead for all time to come.

Now the way in which you have made the request I should immediately translate my two books into English but,

The first book Manase is by itself a translation from the original English version, The Haunted House which appears elsewhere in this site

The second book is by itself a translation from English to Tamil. The original English book is titled, " Love Stories of War Heros"

Thanks a lot, Gayathri.
    sridhar

8. varalotti

The second book so soon, I am moved, Chitra!

Dear Chitra,

I am amazed at your reading speed. YOu have completed the two books so soon. Even the professional book-reviewer is not that fast.

And about the spyware in your system, believe me Ma'am, I or my story has nothing to do with that. Though your way of saying that sends chills through my spine.

And let me thank you once again for describing my works in the language of a culinary queen - jangiri and boondhi laddu.

When you say that my Tamil version is better than the English one I take it as a hint to improve my expressions in English.
    I have already started working on that. I bought three books by Lynn Truss in a local book fair with the only view of improving my English expressions.
    Thanks once again.
    sridhar

9. varalotti

Nice of You, Malathy Jey!

Dear Malathy Jey,

Thanks a million for your congratulatory post and I feel really honoured.

I have a way of writing prefaces to my book. I know many people just read the preface and if it is not all right they don't buy the book. So when I have to write the preface I wait till the last moment allow the pressure to build up in my mind. Then I write it in one go in just 20 or 30 minutes. But during the time I spent waiting I would have been munching on the contents of preface and would try several lines of opening.

For Manase, I decided that if I write just a line about IL it wont be enough. To the publisher I had to give a very interesting preface. What will be more interesting than talking about a colony of about a 1000 women drawn from various countries! You will be surprised to know that my publisher loved the preface.

Thanks for your wishes that the books should sell well. They wil, Malathy, with your kind wishes and I hope, wish and pray that they bring more and more members to this great site.

regards,
    Varalotti

10. Surya

Surya Senior IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

My hearty congratulations! So happy to hear that your next set of books has been published. Your preface itself is very interesting. It shows your generosity that you have given such a great introduction about our IL site in your book. I have asked my brother to get the books from our Sarovdaya Ilakiya Pannai and send it to me. Hope i will get those books by this month end. Surely will send feedback after reading the books.

regards,
    kodi.