1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Next Set of Books Released. I Seek Your Wishes And Blessings!

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, Jan 5, 2007.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Most Gracious ILites,

Amidst the gossips, new celebrations, and the inevitable ageing process, I am now pleased to tell you sweet somethings.

Yes, I am very happy to announce the release of two of my books.

One is the Tamil version of “The Haunted House” a novel which Varalotti wrote exclusively for IL. It has come out under the title, “MANASE MANASE KADHAVAI THIRA”

It was in the preface to this book, that I introduced our great site to my readers. The Super Moderator who read this preface told me, “Sridhar, it reads more as an introduction to this site than to your book.”

I am enclosing the pdf version of the preface for this book.

The story Haunted House which I wrote exclusively for the ILites in 2005-06 was a thriller and was enjoyed by the members at that time. I used to write an episode every week. And every week would end with some kind of a suspense. Let me now confess to you that when I started writing the serial, only the basic plot was ready. I developed t on that based on the feedback I received from our members.

The cover design of the book done by Artist Shyam just contains the eyes of a very beautiful woman and in the place of her nose we see the picture of her lover. The lay out of the book is very pleasing to the eye.

The book is priced at Rs. 50/- and is currently available at the publishers who are based in Chennai. Their contact details are given below:
    M/s Kavitha Publications, #8, Masilamani Street, Near Brilliant Tutorials, T.Nagar, CHENNAI 600 017. The phone numbers are 044 – 24364243 and 24322177.

The second book is a translation work. I translated the English book, “Love Stories of War Heros” written by Col.Gopal Purdhani into Tamil. The title of the Tamil book is “KALAM KANDA VEERARKALIN KAADHAL KADHAIKAL.”

This book depicts the other side, the softer side of our warriors who defended our great country during the Indo-Pakistan war in 1965.

Never in my life have I written a book with tears filling up my eyes constantly. In fact after every writing session I had to wipe my laptop with my hand-kerchief.
    The love stories of our soldiers are sure to melt even the hardest of hearts. The editor at the publishing house remarked after reading the translation work, “If somebody doesn’t cry on reading this translation, they can be considered for some kind of a special award. And after getting the award they should be sent for a comprehensive psychological treatment to investigate the acute lack of emotions in them.”

The book was refereed by the great writer cum translator Sirpi Balasubramanian, who has won Sakithya Academy Award for his translation work. And he told the publisher that the translator has brought the very essence in the original work.
    But I can not take credit for all these words of praise. The credit goes to the original author and above all to my most versatile mother tongue, Tamil, which lent itself in unimaginably wonderful ways, to express the deepest and subtlest emotions that were first expressed in another equally majestic language, English.

Ladies, I can promise you but one thing. Any one who completes reading this book will not be the same person as before. Something would have changed in her irreversibly.

I am posting my preface to this book also.

This book is praised at Rs. 125 and is available at the same publishers.

M/s Kavitha Publications, #8, Masilamani Street, Near Brilliant Tutorials, T.Nagar, CHENNAI 600 017. The phone numbers are 044 – 24364243 and 24322177.

I will be happy and grateful if our members living in Chennai and the surrounding areas can buy the books, read them and post reviews in the site.

I hope that the Chennai ILites are aware that there is going to be a mega-book fair in Chennai during the period 10<sup>th</sup> Jan to <st1:date year="2007" day="21" month="1">21<sup>st</sup> Jan, 2007</st1:date>. The venue is JN George Anglo Indian Higher Secondary School opposite to Pachaiyappa’s College. This is going to be a real mega-affair this time with some 475 stalls coming up, 40% more than what was there last year. NRIs visiting <st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region> for their holidays can have their life-time collection of Tamil books (and some English books too) under one roof with attractive discounts too.

The publishers of my book Kavitha Publications have a stall there. So you can visit them there and collect my copies.

I plan to be there in Chennai and depending on my other engagements may be visiting the fair once or twice. There is a very good chance of some ILite bumping on me. So ladies, watch out!

On this happy occasion I seek your warm wishes and kind blessings. Left to myself I would love to buy all the books and give it to all the ILites free of cost.

But unless my publisher makes some decent commercial sales he wont touch my next book.

Gracious Ladies, I have no option other than to look forward to your kind support.

With Affectionate Regards,
    sridhar/varalotti

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Typical of you!

Dear Sridhar,

It is so like you to think of your IL'tes no matter how busy you may be otherwise. We here indeed are lucky.
    To mention Indusladies in the intro of your book shows your generosity and your very genuine affection for our site. I have downloaded both the intros you have so generously made available for us and shall read it soon
    I wish you a Great Success for both the new publications and many more future accolades.

L, Kamla

3. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

Good news at the start of the year

Hello Sridhar,

Yet another set of books from you. Yet another reason to celebrate here at IL. the preface would make each & everyone here soooo proud. Wow, we had the privilege of reading the haunted house first. I'm eager to read the tamil version now.

Congrats & Great Going Sridhar!!!!!

Would like to hear more of such good news often.

Regards,

4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

You have conveyed the essence of love beautifully !

Dear Sridhar,

I have finished reading the love-stories book. It just melts the reader, is no
    exaggeration !

As seems to be Kavitha’s trade mark, the “get up” is very dignified - only this word strikes me as correct. Your choice of the publishing house is very good.

Manase's cover is beautiful, beyond words. Please convey my congrats to Shyam.
    அந்த ஆள் ஓடற ஓட்டத்திலே மனஸின் கதவைத் திறக்காவிட்டால் gate crash பண்ணிடுவான் போல இருக்கு !
    I liked the other cover also - the girl's face in the background is very sweet & inviting.

Your munnurai & back page are very interesting. Well, I being a miniscule of your Rasika Pattalam, can identify myself in your thanks giving list - ரசிகைகள் !

In the second story, the phrase "என்னத்தப் பெரிசாக் கிழிச்சுருவாங்க, பாத்துருவம்" was interestingly repeated. I really wonder what the original words were ! Whatever that be, this phrase is very enjoyable. பாட்டுடைத்தலைவன் is also a beautiful word less commonly used. Again I am curious what the author's word was ! - perhaps, I will enjoy the beauty of your effort better.

The ghazals are not like translation at all – they are your own compositions, I can take a bet. You are racing close to Kavikko !

6 th story is the real tear-jerker of all. My heart weeps for Rukshana.

The title “ காதல் முக்கோணமும், அழகிய மரணமும்” is beautiful.

If I go on, I may write in detail about every story.

Love is expressed in its full glory and splendour in every story, very beautifully, touching the core of one’s heart.

Let me tell you my honest opinion – what you did was, you read each story from the original book 4,5 times. Then perhaps, you refused to look back into it and wrote the entire story in your words. You have expressed every character in your own words in simple but beautiful tamil. Your effort is a great reward for your fans.

Pray Madurai Meenakshi blesses you to reach greater heights in your literary pursuit !

Love,
    Chithra.

5. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Congrats!!

Dear Sridhar sir

Happy to hear about the books. My heartiest congratulations.
    After reading Chivish's post, I am really eager to get hold of the books immediately. I am going to ask my friend to buy them and send here. Is it available in madurai? If so please provide the address. My sister will like the books.

This new year has started with a big bang and certainly will be more exciting for you and indeed for the IL community and family members too.

My New Year wishes to you,Indhu and Preethi!

Hope I will get more time from next month to interact with you all in IL.

Cheers:wave
    Vijee

6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sridhar...

This is to let you know that I read your 'Munnurai' s for both your newly publicised books. It has your stamp all over it. Even these intros you wrote are very interesting and I guess the books will be manifold so.
    As an IL'ite , I have already had the pleasure of reading the Manase Manase Kadhavai Thira. It is a reflection on your generous nature that you have given so much credit to your IL'ites and the Indusladies Website. All of us are proud to be mentioned I am sure and nice that you are part of this family.
    Chitra's post above gives an insight into your other book and I am sure you have done a wonderful job of translating from its original edition. That you enjoyed it immensely was obvious from your intro.
    Once again, wishing you every success with both the books and a lot of recognition in coming years.

L, Kamla

7. slgayatri

slgayatri Bronze IL'ite

Waiting...

Hi Sridhar
    First of all let me congratulate u on this great occasion.:clap:clap
    I saw both the prefaces but I cant understand them as I dont know them.
    Any way, one of my room mate is from Tamilnadu. She is going home, this month ending. I'll ask her to bring these books, at least she is there to read and tell me the things.
    I sarted learning Tamil, bcoz the great writer which I know thru this site is, Tamilian. That is none other than u. I want to read all of them u posts, and ur books. So I started learning Tamil.
    Mean while, if it can be translated to and published in English, I feel I am one of the blessed ones here. So plz think of it. Reading prefaces and reviews is ok. But after reading the book only, I'll be satisfied.
    Once again Congratulations....:clap

Gayathri.

8. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Did you pack horror in your book " Manase..."? - unbelievably true !

Dear Sridhar,

The book " manase manase Kathavai thira", literally rattled me today !
    This morning I was reading the above book and appreciating how you
    had used some beautiful expressions typical in tamil. In fact I was noting down some tamil phrases and simultaneously browsing through " the Haunted House" comparing your use of the two languages ! Now, please do not ask me, if I am doing any research with your stories ! I have no answer !!

As I was finding your english word for " மரண அலறல்" in the Haunted House version , my cursor started moving on its own, all over the monitor ! I was perplexed, believe me ! I had no control over the mouse & the monitor was blinking non-stop. I could not switch off the computer also. The "tamasha" stopped after an hour and I realised it was caused by spyware entering the system and playing havoc.

Now tell me, could your thriller or horror book be the reason for this, I wonder ? The strength of your words in english and more than that, the beautiful translation in tamil which I was saving in a word file, was really scary for my computer, I feel ! Are your words and language so potent or am I imagining ?

Though I have read the Haunted House, the tamil book " Manase...." is just superb , not a bit of exaggeration.
    You have beautifully played with tamil words, one of the most enjoyable being
    "இம்சையான சுகம், சுகமான இம்சை" ! I loved it !! Being a lover of tamil, if I write the list of enjoyable phrases, one post may not be sufficient.
    If the book on love stories, is "jangiri", this book is " Boondhi laddu" - yes,chitvish
    can speak only this language, you are right !
    Good luck and God speed !
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations & Thank you

Dear Varalotti,

CONGRATULATIONS on the release of both of your books at the start of this New Year. I wish you on behalf of all ILites that you release more books during this year and in the years to come.

In addition to contributing your wonderful writings to this community, you have been great hearted to give a great introduction about our community in the preface of your book. I am sure you would have put immense effort in convincing the publishers to include a preface to our site in the book. Thanks a lot for all the efforts and making this happen.

Our prayers that your book sells very well and we also get more of your readers as our members. (Hope I'm not sounding selfish / greedy!).

Regards,
    Malathy

10. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

A wonderful start

Dear Varalotti,
    Your releasing two books at the beginning of the year is a woderful start. I shall try to get your booksas early as possible as I am eager to see the tamil translation of the IL novel.You have honoured us ILites in your intro.May you reach the pinnacle of glory as a bilingual writer and a translator. My regards to Indhu,
    Regards,
    Meenu