1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My New Year Resolution

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Jan 1, 2019.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

New Year Resolution

New Year resolutions are made every year and are broken too. I am thinking of making a resolution that will be not only difficult but impossible to break.

Before I talk about my New Year resolution, it will be interesting to know about my previous years' resolution and what happened to them. Truth is I came to know about New Year somewhat late. So there was no question of making any New Year resolution. In the village, we were told that New Year starts from Chaitra. Later on we were told that it starts from January. Some said it starts from Dipawali. By the time I reached school in the town, it became clear that it starts from January for sure. The calendar hanging on the wall at home had both dates as per English calendar and Tithi as per Hindu Vikram Sanvat calendar. It was a perfect meeting ground for East and West. All office work in English and all Puja and rituals as per Hindu calendar.

History of my resolutions

1. Whichever may be the calendar, there is a tradition of making resolutions was revealed to me when I started talking in languages other than my dialect which were Hindi and English. The resolution fever caught up only when the exams were knocking at the door. 'From tomorrow will get up at four in the morning’. An alarm was set but nothing changed, either I did not hear the alarm or simply got up and tumbled back on the bed. It was then decided to do as much rote learning during the day into late in the night but then again eyes would be heavy before long and would go to sleep assuring myself that rest will be covered by waking up early in the morning. In short, neither the resolution nor I became part of each other.

2. After education, got into a job and started earning my own. Now was the time to indulge in. During college days, one Sardar friend introduced me to the taste of a cigarette. He never did it himself (Sikhs are not supposed to smoke) but he said he liked the aroma of it. He would bring only one cigarette at a time. Those were the days of tight pockets so it never became a compulsive habit. But now that I had a job and money too and on top of it there was this feeling that smoking is manly and adds to stature and position, it became a regular companion. Starting with cheap brands like Char Minar and Panama graduated to Wills Filter King and imported brands like 555. Some well-wishers tried to warn and some resolutions were also made every year but resolutions and vows are meant to be broken only. Then there was serious setback and Doctor said stop smoking or else….. What hundreds of warnings and resolutions could not do, was done by one pain in the chest. Some habits do not go by making resolutions.

3. There is a long list of broken resolutions. Will speak truth only, will not give bribes, and will not get angry and so on. But most of them could not be maintained and the onus always fell on others. There was justification to -speaking truth does not help, bribing is a way of life, and things do not get done by being calm all the time. If there were a hundred needs for making resolutions there were thousands of reasons for breaking them.

Now I think this year I must make some great resolution and live with it for the rest of my life. Took advice from friends. On some introspection found that I am already helping the needy to the best of my resources, trying to keep fit by morning walk, yoga and exercises, take medicines on time Etc Etc. There are some habits like love for tasty food and drinks, love and liking for all, helping people in need, not hurting others, no harsh words, living in harmony and so on. It is neither possible nor desirable to quit them now. Some of these must go with me particularly when there is no permission to take possessions like house, car, and money.

After long and thoughtful deliberations within, I have decided to resolve as follows:

"I resolve that I will remain what I am"

Howsoever hard I may try; I will not be in a position to break this resolution.

Wishing you all a very happy and prosperous New Year.

Hari Lakhera

Monday, 31/12/2018

2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

"I resolve that I will remain what I am"
    Hari Sir, this is the most difficult of all the resolutions.Because our avatars are different and has to be different in different places.
    If one behaves like Gen Manager in his house, his peace of mind is gone for ever.
    To resolve not to have any resolution itself is a resolution.
    Because behaviour has to change as per circumstances.We have to be smart and not necessarily intelligent or acdemically brilliant to succeed in life.
    jayasala 42

satchitananda and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. nness

nness Bronze IL'ite

Not an easy resolve, may take a lifetime for some of us to get there but a good place to be. Glad you could achieve, best wishes. Happy New Year.

4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: a nice thread with tinge of humour. Thanks to your resolution but are we not changing as circumstances dictate.
    2. It would be difficult to remain 'I am what I am.'
    Our moods changes frequently depending upon surrounding and events. We can be in foul mood Some time cheerful .or even angry hitting the ceilings even romantic at odd hour, expected to go with societal dictum etc.
    3. Best NY resolution over the years of mine is not to make any resoltion at all which I never broke .
    Thank you
    Regards .
    Happy resolutionless 2019.

5. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Resoltions are the easiest thing to break. As someone said of smoking, 'I fail to understand why giving up smoking is difficlt. I have given it up so many times!'
    I am never satisfied unless I break each reolution of mine atleast a hundred times.

Srama and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Hariji,
    Do you think "remain as I am" is easy? Not at all. There is no constant I. We change from time. We think and think and take a decision..... In the last moment of implementing we do the complete opposite. Even simple chores in day to day life we do not do as we like. Reason can be anything.
    In my view this is a very difficult resolution.
    Syamala

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Good and simple resolution!

8. Thyagarajan

:hello:one remains irresolute with their resolution the very next day of making it and he or she glad or sad about but others knowing the breaking LAUGH through horse collar
    ! Better keep resolutions if at all we make close to our heart as disclosing has its own perils.
    Thanks and regards .

HariLakhera likes this.
  9. Thyagarajan

PADMA SRI Tarla dalal when she expired, my spouse and I grieved
    My spouse continue to consult her BOOKS HUNDRED IN NUMBER for dokla type dishes. But could never make it the way our Gujarati pals in the neighbourhood.
    Your FB made me nostalgic of the days I used to enjoy sweets and samosas of Gujarati shop at kpdad circle bb Dadar east.
    Thanks for the nostalgia.
    Regards.

HariLakhera likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Hari Sir,

We become what our habits are. Changing our habits are harder and to keep doing what we are already doing is easy. Having said that, with the laundry list of good things you are already doing, why do you need to change, Sir? Those embedded great values need not be changed and should continue for life, as planned by you.

All of us have inherent quality to be blissful. Where we search for it differ. Long and thoughtful deliberation within is the best place to start. :)

Thyagarajan likes this.