1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Love And Hate Relationship With Upma

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by virtualkv2020, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Deepika23

Deepika23 Silver IL'ite

My favourite combination is Upma with hot sambar. My dh doesn’t like Upma. So after marriage once in a while I make Upma whenever there is leftover Sambar to satisfy my tongue and make another breakfast for him.
    But once he saw me digging into this and took a spoonful of this combination.
    Later on he started asking for Upma whenever I make Sambar. Now both of us enjoy this but not our kids. Hope they also love Upma in future.

virtualkv2020 likes this.
  2. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

My love for Pongal and Vada combo was born in a hostel mess. During my break I missed eating it so much that I took my parents to an Udupi hotel and shared the meal with them. I liked their version better and made a mental note of the ingredients, since then it has become a part of our breakfast session.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Viswamitra likes this.
  3. AppuMom

AppuMom Gold IL'ite

My first first tasty encounter with upma was during school days when I went for Sai satsang and they served veg upma.I still remember the taste even after 3 decades !!! I never liked it at home (the plain one) and never ordered this in restaurants.Later after marriage I started making upma,but never got it right. Recently I got a nice recipe from a blog and result was superb.So I am back to 'upma-unlimited' .I like upma with banana and sugar :)

virtualkv2020 likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

I was only 10 years old at that time. Otherwise, I would have understood that Rice is Righteousness, Lentil is Love, Cashew is Character, Ghee is God worship and Pepper is Perseverance of Truth. All of them mixed together is what we need to provide Perumal for our salvation.

Enthu patri? Paranjathu Manasalayo?

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Interesting snippet on Upma which I first went and nominated. I think many people don't like Upma .I am also not very fond of Upma I like kesari made out of Rava. For dinner we don't have rice. So I make different dishes. One day pongal, when the rice cooked in the morningis more then evening I make pongal. Dosas I make many times .
    Morning if I make morkuzhambu then evening Upma kozhakattai with idli Rava. Earlier my Puri never used to turn out properly but of late I learnt the trick. Upma also in the beginning lumps used to be formed but later it was ok. Now a days make Vegetable Upma which is better than plain. Only me and my husband are at home So when I make Upma and pongal it becomes more and I give to the maid

Thyagarajan and virtualkv2020 like this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:befitting in every respect. I can understand Malayalam as for about 20 years I dealt with malayalee Thomas John George's.
    Regards.

7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:befitting in every respect. I can understand Malayalam as for about 20 years I dealt with malayalee Thomas John George's.
    Regards.

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. kalcandu

kalcandu Silver IL'ite

Thanks kveena for your post on upma. It is a beloved topic for discussion. As a kid I used to hate upma tiffin at home, be it rava upma or semiya upma because Amma/patti used to add lime juice. In my childhood I detested lime juice in upma. My favorite upma was arisi upma, especially the burnt bottom adai piece. After marriage, my husband taught me vegetable rava upma and I fell in love with it. I add turmeric and vegetables to make a colourful upma which is very attractive to see. Now a days my favorite is samba godhumai upma as it doesn't require roasting and is very filling. Of course it can't beat the taste of vellai rava upma.

9. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

Who likes semiya upma? I love it. Unfortunately, I am the only person who likes it besides one of my kids in my house. I like rava upma too, but it has to be made with the right texture. Making upma is an art.

10. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

My family loves Semiya Upma too :)

Thyagarajan likes this.