My little prince is here!!!

Discussion in 'Baby Names & Birth Announcements' started by ashapradeep, Jan 25, 2012.

1. ashapradeep

ashapradeep Bronze IL'ite

I am happy to announce the arrival of my little prince “Ishaan” on Jan 21st 2012.
    Here is the birth story: I know it is very long but I dint want to cut down on any details. I had always loved to read a birth story that I wanted to put in everything that I remembered.

This is my second child and my DD had arrived 3 years ago via an EMCS. Though I had been thrilled and excited that she was here healthy, I felt cheated out of my birth experience. I felt a little depressed in the initial days but the sight of my LO cheered me up.

Fast forward, a little over 2 years later we decided to have our second one and was thrilled to find out I was pregnant and we were expecting in Jan 2012, exactly 3 years since my first delivery. At my first prenatal visit, I voiced concern to my Dr regarding my chances for a VBAC and the Dr was very supportive. We found out at our 13th week U/S that we r having a boy ☺. On went my pregnancy pretty uneventful.

Fast forward, at my 36th week cervical check I was 75% effaced and 0 dilated. There was no more checks till 39 weeks (Jan 19th). I was beginning to get slight contractions at this point and was hoping there should be progress. But to my disappointment, I was still 75% effaced and 0 dilated and the head was at -1 station. The Dr said it looks promising but it doesn’t look like I will go into labor soon. I had booked for an Elective C section on Feb 3rd, a week after my due date, incase I don’t go into labor on my own. As usual my friends and family called me that day and I told them not to expect any news for another week.

That night after the Dr’s apt, I started getting contractions. But this had been on and off for a while. I decided to ignore it and tried to get some sleep. Afterall, the Dr had said not to expect anything soon, right? I did get some sleep waking up between contractions. I expected to wake up in the mrng (Jan 20th) with everything gone. But it still was there. I had a shower and started to get ready to work. I had never considered that these could be the real deal. I just stopped a few secs when the contractions hit and moved on with my work.

I reached work and the contractions were still coming. I then realized that there is a slight possibility that this could be it. I still had some work to wind up as my due date wasn’t for another week. So I hurriedly tried to finish everything. By now, it was lunch time. I had my lunch and that’s when I started to time them. They were coming every 5 mins lasting 30 secs. By now I was beginning to feel tired. My boss looked at me and asked me to go home if I was not feeling well. So, I got everything packed and decided to take some rest at home. Then I realized there was a terrible snow storm that day and it might be difficult to get back to the hospital if I get stuck at traffic. So I called the L&D and told them that I had been getting regular contractions for a while. They wanted me to come and have a check just in case as it was my second delivery and my history of a previous section.

I called my DH and told him I was heading to the L&D and that I will update him once I hear from them. Just when I was talking to him, a contraction hit and hearing me he decided to come down with me to the L&D.

So we reached there at 2p.m. Got changed, had the monitor set and sure enough, they were coming every 5 mins and they were regular. A Dr came at 2.30pm to check if I was dilated. I didn’t have much hope as the contractions were still bearable and wudnt have been surprised if they had said that it was a false alarm. To my surprise, I was 2cm dilated, 100% effaced and -1 station (I know, just 2) but they said they were keeping me in and I was going to leave with the baby. I was so excited. I got admitted. I had actually walked to the L&D from work and hadn’t taken my coat and purse with me. It was all at work. I hadn’t informed my boss either. So I called her up and told her that I got admitted. She was happy for me and offered to bring my stuff to the hospital. My DH was also in the middle of work. So he had to rush and tell his office, grab his stuff and came to the hospital. The contractions kept coming. Same pace 5 mins apart lasting 30-45 secs. I was able to breathe through them and was coping well bouncing on the birth ball and walking.

At 5.30pm my Dr came. He did an internal and I was 4cm, 100% effaced and 0
    station. He broke my water to speed things up and told me he wud check on me in 2 hrs unless I had the urge to push before that. He said he expected me to have reached 6-8cms as I was progressing well. His shift was over but he wanted to stay and see how I was doing so that if things happened fast, he cud delver sooner.
    Once the waters were broken, the contractions kept getting one on top of another and became difficult to cope. At about 7pm I started thinking abt epidural. I had decided that at 7.30pm if I was atleast 8cm, I will try and do it without epi. But if I was just 6,I will go ahead and get one. So the Dr came and checked me at 7.30pm and to my dismay I was stuck at 4cm 100%effaced and 0 station. No progress at all. So I decided to take epi and by 7.45pm, I got it. I was so glad I did that. The Dr decided to go home at this point and asked the nurse to have an internal done in 2 hours and inform him of the progress.

After epi, I felt relaxed. I got some rest, and was excitedly discussing the reality of the situation with DH. That HE is finally going to come!!! So there went another 2 hours. At 9.30pm, another Dr came and checked me. I was praying, there should have been some progress but nope. Still stuck at 4cm and 0 station. At this point, I started panicking. It had been 5 hours with regular contractions and no progress. I didn’t know what my options were at this point. The nurse updated my Dr and he got on the phone with me. I asked him if induction was an option at all. He said it was risky coz of my previous section and that even if they did, it will have to be low dose and the will have to monitor the contractions to see if my uterus can tolerate it. And he said he will give it a max of an hour to see if I progressed, if not they ll have to do a C section. In the while, if there is any distress coz of the induction, they ll have to do an EMCS immediately. Or I could decide not to take the risk and have a section immediately. It was a tough decision for both of us. We did not want to put the baby at risk coz I wanted this final chance of having a vaginal delivery. At the same time, I dint want to regret my decision and wished I had given it a chance to see if worked. Finally we made up our mind at 10pm and decided to try induction for an hour and if there was no progress, we cud have a section immediately.

So I was all set for the induction. They inserted a monitor to check my contractions and started Pitocin at 1unit at 10.30pm. They increased it by 1 unit every 20-30 mins and I was tolerating well. At 12.30am I was at 4 units and the contractions were coming every 2-3 mins lasting 1 mins. I was also feeling a lot of rectal pressure. I was talking to my DH saying how I wanted this delivery to be normal as this was the last time I wud get a chance. I was disappointed and in tears. He reminded me that I had done everything that I cud and in the end, it was the health of our baby that mattered. I came in peace with the decision that it cud be another section. I called my mom in India and told her that things weren’t looking very gud and wanted her to go to the temple and pray for me. I hadn’t told here abt the details till then as I dint want her to get upset. She later told me that she had gone immediately to the temple and had been there till she heard news of my delivery!!

AT 12.30am, the Dr came to check me. It was going to be decided, whether to go ahead with waiting if there was progress or to have a section at this point. She checked and I remember praying desperately for some progress. I knew only a miracle could change the situation at this point and the miracle happened!!! I was 10cms, fully dilated at +2 station ready to push. I was elated!!! If not for the epidural, I wud ve jumped out of the bed and danced ☺.

They called my Dr to inform him and he wanted them to hold off pushing as he wanted to deliver the baby. He reached at 1am and at 1.45am, I stared pushing. With the epi, it was hard to figure out how to do it and very soon he came down. But though his head was visible, it wudnt come out. They offered me a mirror to encourage me to push harder. I initially declined but then decided to give it a try. I cud see his hair with every contraction and then it wud slide back in. I pushed and pushed till 2.45pm. I got exhausted at this point. The Dr said that he cud use a forcep and I agreed to it. In the next 10 mins, the room was flooded with people and at 2.59 am, he was born!!! I heard his cry and I started crying uncontrollably. I did it!!!! I had birthed my boy normally!!!! I looked at my DH who had been my pillar of support all through my pregnancy and especially during the delivery. His hands were shaking as he cut the cord and I cud see him wiping away his tears. All that we had been through was definitely worth it for this moment. I don’t even remember delivering my placenta. They took a while to stich me up as I had 3rd degree tear. Finally we were moved to our room at 5am and I was able to snuggle and spend time with my little “ISHAAN”. I am happy and thrilled to have had the experience and that my LO is healthy. Life sure has been hectic with a new born and a 3 year old but I am loving every minute of it!!!a

27 people like this.

2. aparnag

aparnag Platinum IL'ite

Lovely lovely... Best wishes to you... Keep good health..
    May god bless you and your family..

3. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

wow.. that was amazing..it is a miracle..

4. sitharaj

sitharaj Gold IL'ite

Gosh.. its beautifully written. God bless you and lil Ishaan :)

5. Vani09

Vani09 Gold IL'ite

Dear Asha Congrats on your bundle of joy.God Bless:)

6. priyankanath

priyankanath Gold IL'ite

Congratulations! Your story came pretty fast considering that u have a newborn and a toddler at home. God bless Ishaan. Take care.

Priyanka

7. Subhaganesh

Subhaganesh Gold IL'ite

my kisses to "ishaan" kutty...
    god's miracle:)..
    enjoy motherhood and enjoy ur life with 2 cute kids...
    u could have explained about ur DD's reaction:)

8. lochu

lochu Gold IL'ite

Hi Asha

Congrats Dear .I am also considering VBAC for my second delievry and reading your post surely gives hope to people like me .Thanks for sharing yiur story in your very busy time .Enjoy the time with your LO

9. RagaPrasanna

RagaPrasanna Platinum IL'ite

Congrats Asha!! :) Take care!

God bless your family!!

10. sravanitenali

sravanitenali IL Hall of Fame

Hearty Congrats Asha!!

God bless your lovely family :)