1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Life Journey With My Special Kid!

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Swethasri, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Now that’s something that you need to work on. You do need help when he can watch the kid. Have you tried just letting him know that something is over and try to get out to go buy? Are you in India? If so, just getting out to go buy some essentials that got over and then slowly increasing the time to 20-30 mins will help you.

You too need a hobby. Just like your DH is exploring his passion, you need something for yourself which rewards in other ways other than monetarily. You should start slowly and build it up. Initially you will see resistance but over time he will come to accept it as a part of your daily routine. If he pushes back, instead of making it about him having outlets and you not having outlets make it about autism. You needing to do something other than special needs therapy to keep going. Unemotional conversations about these things will help.

I hope you find an outlet. You definitely need one.

Mathima likes this.
  2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

A little busy..want to reply to this.. infact i think this is something that needs to be addressed as a seperate thread.. how to cope when you have special needs kids or you are a caregiver..been both and with a absentee husband and no support and not great finances to outsource then..

Gauri03, Mehana, Laks09 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Laks09

Caregiver burnout is so real!
    @Shanvy - Even with the DH not around, it is very different I think to have someone who is completely on board with what you are doing and providing emotional support vs the opposite. I think @Mathima has a hubby in town but isn't getting the right kind of support from him. Maybe we should brainstorm some steps for her to get him involved a little. It will help her.

4. Laks09

@Mathima - Have you tried getting him involved with the baby while you deal with your son? You can't do it all, you will get too overwhelmed. Remember this is for the long haul, a marathon not a sprint.

Have you seen a special needs counselor? Is one available to parents in your area? I have, although my DH refused because he thought he doesn't need one. You probably need someone to help you find some coping strategies for the long run. Even one/two sessions can help a lot.

Is your spouse in denial about your child's diagnosis? Does he make statements like - he's ok, kids develop at different paces, you are making a mountain out of a molehill etc? If he is, then he probably is trying to keep himself too busy rather than deal with the reality at home. I have no ideas on how to fix that. Maybe @Shanvy can give you some pointers there. We did have this situation before the diagnosis but afterward, everyone got onboard quickly.

Are there moms groups in your area? That's the best thing that happened to me - joined a local moms group for moms with kids on the spectrum. They are active on FB but I regularly went for meetups and made some amazing friends in the process. I didn't have anyone to watch my son during these meetups but I have one person who can manage my son. She helped me by babysitting for me once a month.

Do YOU get any breaks at all? Does your child go to school/therapy? Do you have someone to help watch the baby while your son is in therapy so you can do something like cook? Are you living alone or with parents?

Remember, we are with you. Even though we can't meet face to face, you do have some people who get it. Hugs and hang in there.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    vaidehi71 and Gauri03 like this.
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Denial is a bummer.. i wish i could do help you @Mathima . I need some time to write, in a relaxed way. we had a ilite, who fought tooth and nail to make ber husband understand, but it did not happen..but she had me on her side, not a gloating mode, it just happened, some people cross paths at a particular point for a particular reason.. we tried a lot but then we understood it was the mom's fight. The child who did not realise a good touch nor a bad touch, whp was looked after by younger sister, is now a graduate, proudly goes and writes exams with the disability id card.. and the ilitr went on to do her mphil, and now phd and helps a lot of kids paying it forward..still has husband troubles but has two grown up confident daughters.. sigh how long have i been here i il..some are grandparents!!

You need to look beyond the being mom..and get into.acceptance mode..

Hugs and hugs will get back..

@Laks09 hugs and thanks for tag..

Laks09 and vaidehi71 like this.
  6. Mathima

Mathima Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for your words @Shanvy @Laks09 , I'm trying to mingle DH with my second Lo , so that I can spend more time with my first one n if possible for myself also.
    I'm sorry I couldn't post reply for what u asked now because of some issues.
    Will come back soon with myself back.
    Thanks a lot. It means to me a lot n lot.

Sunshine04, Shanvy and Laks09 like this.
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

no need to say sorry, we understand. it is ok to rant, vent, timeout..you need that.. take care.. and we are here, to support as much as possible.

vidukarth likes this.
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

my hobbies of reading, crochet, knitting and watching cartoons helped keep my sanity through this phase ..

vidukarth and Laks09 like this.
  9. Mathima

Mathima Bronze IL'ite

Hi ILS , anybody used saraswathi chooranam, and saraswatharishtam for your kids, any improvement?!

Sunshine04 likes this.
  10. Mathima

Mathima Bronze IL'ite

He goes to a school till noon. He will have his lunch there.
    S, I finally got my mom to be with me for 15 days in a month , and she takes care of my lo. And I could take a short nap or a long fulfilling bath ;)or a peaceful eating time.:yum:
    Remaining 15 days my mil with me r may not.
    And I stopped asking DH for anything to do with my first one, if he wished he can otherwise just leaving it, at least I don't want to shout and have one more thing to rise In my head.:mask: Regarding any crafts it is little difficult for me to do with 6 month baby, but I'm using my free time to it to create some toys r sensory things for my kid.
    Hoping to continue like this.

Laks09 likes this.