1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Life Journey With My Special Kid!

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Swethasri, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Swethasri

Swethasri Platinum IL'ite

Everything is going good! wanted to share the food habits of my Boy. He is a very good eater. When he was an infant he had a very bad reflex and identified with acute gastroenteritis. So food became very limited. Whatever he eats he was vomiting. OMG, i dont want to go back to those days. very tough days. We are vegetarians so its a very usual food like rasam, sambar, idli, dosai, chappathi. He was in the medicine left and right tried ayurveda, allopathy,....At last when he was 4yrs i took him to a Dr. cured his reflex just by food habits. He asked me to stop all the medicine and asked me to give him only cream of rice with methi, garlic and cumin that too whenever he is hungry. So basically my Boy was a slow digester, so giving food time to time was not working. and also time is very important. Before 9 breakfast,before 1.00 lunch before 7.00 dinner. So accordingly I planned the day and started with cream of rice and slowly included all of the food which we all eat. it took almost 6 months to completely stop the reflex, bloating, etc...now we all in the family following certain restriction in the food like no ghee, no deep fries of any kind, no potato chips, no biscuits or cookies. now I am really blinking how to stop giving them bread because bread has lot of preservatives which we do not want to consume. So basically all fruits, veggies, rice, sprouts, oats, nuts and dry fruits. So now i know the trick how to deal with him when his belly starts react.

My Boy is now happy to eat any food. While when he was the dieting process he stopped snoring which surprised me. I am so proud of My Boy!

3 people like this.
  2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Swetha, my sister bakes her own bread at home. Have you tried it before?

3. Swethasri

Not yet Rakhii. I have to try that. I don't want to use all purpose flour. I want to use whole wheat flour. Can you tell me how she bakes?

4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Swetha,
    After I read your post, I decided to get in touch with a couple of other moms with older autistic kids. Unfortunately, our state does not mandate ABA therapy for autism. Hence, it is OT provided at ECS and we don't get any subsidy for it if we take it up privately. These parents opted for ECS plus private therapy outside. One of them got insurance cover another paid out of pocket. Both saw good results. One of the children is now completely integrated into the second grade class without special intervention.

ECS is our early childhood services, the school district's pre school which is free for special needs kids and kids of parents who live below the income level. ECS here unfortunately has only group OT/PT/Speech. My son does not need OT/PT. His speech therapy is covered by insurance because he is a preemie and his doc felt that speech issues were prematurity related. He gets one on one speech therapy.

Now, ABA therapy does not happen in school. They don't see the need for it. They feel OT alone is enough. I did try OT(we have ins cover for it). I didn't see much of a need for it for my son. His Dev ped didn't see the need as well. I gave ABA a try to see how it goes. He has been there for 4 weeks of eval and just completed the first six weeks of therapy. I saw a big improvement in this time frame itself. I'm now convinced ABA will help my son. Since ECS doesn't have that option, Im still on the fence about sending him there. He is happy at his school and I don't want another change. Why rock the boat if things are ok?

We did find cheaper home based therapy options. I spent an entire month scouring all options and picked this center where he now goes. It is really expensive but we are managing.

They say their aim is to get him into KG without need for intervention. They think they should be able to achieve this goal since they got him at a young age and since he is not completely non verbal(he tested at 2yr level for vocabulary skills) and since he doesn't have too many behavioral and social issues.

Somedays I'm hopeful, some days I'm lost. I say to myself that if he gets 70% communicative then therapy has met it's goals. I'm taking it one day at a time.

Btw, my son was a preemie. He was on meds for GERD for almost a year. He outgrew it then! I any imagine having on going GERD issues. I have that with my older dd. some foods trigger GERD and migraines in her(paneer, bread, chocolate, Greek yogurt). Even that is difficult. No words for what you went through. Mine is a very picky eater. Even if the brand of pasta sauce switches he won't eat. No veggies ever. I'm having an ongoing battle with food. I'm letting him eat whatever he wants and hoping he will get better in time. I'm concentrating more on speech now. If I tackle all at once, I'll go bonkers and drive him nuts as well. I'm leaving th food battles for the next year.

Feels good talking to you!

btw, for lunch ideas - http://weelicious.com/

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  5. Swethasri

Laks, good to know that you explored more. Its always good to keep in touch with other native parents so that they know in and out and all the tricks, in school and also to get the appropriate services. That's what i learnt in all these years. Good that you are keep in track of his development. Ans also I am glad that he is very well settled in the current school set up. I am happy for you! Thanks for the link. Me too! very nice sharing here.

2 people like this.
  6. Swethasri

Still my Boy has running nose. But able to manage to go to school. Let me share his behavior challenges here. When he was very young he use to do actions for many rhymes and songs. Also happy to play with other kids and his peers in his class room. Slowly that stopped. started doing repetitive behaviors like rocking, jumping and flapping hands, self stimulatory behavior. We brought all these concerns to the pediatrician and she refered to neurologist. We showed up a vedio of his behavior and that dr. said nothing to worry. then again we expressed our concern to pediatrician and the school. Pediatrician said its a down syndrome kind of behaviors and once he grow big these behaviors will vanish. I dont know who is unlucky here, its actually because of Autism, my Boy's social is completely stopped, all his interaction with us becomes very limited to food and music, those repititive behaviors .....all related to Autism. i feel very sad while writing this....:( anyways somehow we were able to get the provisional diagnosis.

The saddest part is our insurance is self funded and they excluded autism services COL!. So patiently accepted the second diagnosis and also another 4-5 months delay in getting the services.

But I am spending sometime with my Boy alone and working on the imitation. Not going to give-up. He is a very good learner and he is working very hard in imitation. So I am happy for him.

7. Swethasri

My boy is better now. Feeling good. Very happy improvement is he is imitating all 26 alphabets and 1-10 numbers. Also showing interest in repeating other words. As i said he is very good learner, now he is picking up a lot more in verbal communication.

Here i wanted to share his physical activities. He loves Trampoline!!When he is so excited about something or when he gets what he wants, he wants to really show his happiness through jumping. He will smile and laugh and his eyes glows like a Sun. But apart from jumping on trampoline his jumping height and ability is very limited. He is able to jump down in the stairs but now he is jumping up from one step to other step in the stairs by holding my hand and the rail which is good thing to move forward. Walking pattern is like gait pattern. Bicycling, he is not ready. But i am thinking to try this summer. In the playground setting, he is very happy is the swing. No time limit for him in the swing he loves it. But unable to swing on his own. Also he was happy to play in the monkey bar but in the last summer he didnt show much interest. when i lifted him up and asked him hold the bars but he didnt want to do that. So i just left it. He is a very good runner. He runs very fast. He loves somebody chase him. So i am working on running with him in the track and teaching him the race. Otherwise still receiving PT at school hope to see more improvements.

2 people like this.
  8. springsnb

springsnb Gold IL'ite

hatts off swethasri....

God is there ...one day he will do all his miracles..... keep going

1 person likes this.
  9. Swethasri

Thanks Spring. Very encouraging.

10. Harshusunil

Harshusunil New IL'ite

Hi shwetha,

firstly I want to say hattsoff for being a proud mother for a god gifted precious son, ur are really doin a g8 job n pray to god tat everything goes fine with lot of miracles happen in ur life :)

after reading ur post even I felt of sharing my experience of 5 yr old kid who has been diagnosed with GDD(global development delay).He s preterm born.currently he s goin to preschool n is in IEP.the main delay with him s his speech havin around 6-7 words.we started to give him homeopathy medicine (past 3 weeks)to see some miracles to happen.thinkingsmiley
    My son s very sweet ,likes to lovable by his dad n mom n hav no problem with sleep n eating.he has a very cute smile which melts me with al stresses.he just started to pedal a tricycle but oly on tiles not on carpet (which needs more strength).Lik u said my son also likes to get chased n running all day n swing in play area.he can't get on n down d steps without support .
    We will constantly engage him by speaking n playin with his toys.he started to identify alphabets n numbers n tries to pronounce some of the alphabets.

We r planning to visit India this summer so tat he gets exposed to others in his native language n do learn when playin with other kids,hopefully we may find some improvements!!

Anyways thank u shwetha for d valuable tips ur sharing for all the mothers with special need kids n ur positive attitude which fills me with positive energy n tak u as inspiration when I feel down with some relatives reacting negative to the condition .

Just pray to god for al d special kids in here to get energy to learn new things n succeed in their life :clap

3 people like this.