1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Life Journey With My Special Kid!

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Swethasri, Feb 25, 2014.

1. deraj

deraj Platinum IL'ite

Dear Swethasri

Great mom you are. I respect your feeling & very proud to know you virtually. May God bless you, your hubby & both your sons. All the very best to you.

My hugs & appreciations to you.

Keep doing gal. You will succeed.

1 person likes this.
  2. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

Dear Swethasri,

Hugs to you, I appreciate your patience, your strength is your boldness!

I, last month, met my husband's paternal uncle who came here for attending a function at our home...In the evening, liesurely we started discussing (actually he is expert in spirirual conversation) so we just listen to his talk on What is karma? Is rebirth there or not? why some people though they do good things now, they get punished in some form? (the discussion started as my MIL's one year anniversary fucntion happened that day) so with continuation to that he discussed so many things to us...and that one hour is so useful for us and we felt so bad that he left quickly to catch his bus.

But in that conversation he insisted a good point to us. Actually he has two children, one boy and one girl...boy is elder one (he is now around 25-28) and the girl got married and well settled at USA. But his son is a special child with down syndrome. When he started talking about his son at his childhood we came to know so many details about his struggle and all...it seems at the initial stage he never speak, express, smile, talk etc...the only bond he had with his mother alone..he never gone to school also...they never send him to special schools it seems...so he always hesitate to see people apart from his family..not attending functions, crowds etc..

Later my chithapa realised that he is making a great mistake, so as per his friends advice, he takes him to wherever he goes like market, temples, family function etc....he never minds what other people says about him...he neglected the pity talk about his son.

In that conversation, he told us a good saying that (guess u know tamil) “கடவுளுக்கு தெரியும் யார் கையில் இந்த குழந்தையைக் கொடுத்தால் நன்றாக அது வளரும் என்று”. But these words are true!

Now he is reacting so good, when he comes to any function i can see sometimes speaking with relatives or just waving his hands, smiling etc. This is definitely a positive sign for him. My chithapa is so happy now and said he never thought that he will speak and react like this, but all this happened with God's blessings and his patience.

Trust God and please continue your positive attitude on your son, whenever you feel low please share with us...

10 people like this.
  3. Amma15

Amma15 Gold IL'ite

My dear Swethasri,

Hugs to you dear. You ARE a very special mom to a very special child. Downs children are very affectionate. I have a friend whose older daughter is now 35 yrs and is Downs. My friend is a wonderful person and her daughter is such a lovely lady. May God be with you always and keep you strong, both mentally and physically.

Will keep you in my prayers.

Usha

1 person likes this.
  4. rajmyt

rajmyt Bronze IL'ite

HATS OFF:hatsoff to both the parents. Your son is lucky to have you as a mother who is admiring him in every thing .God is there for u always for these courage.....no more words to say.......

1 person likes this.
  5. manjubashini

manjubashini IL Hall of Fame

Just i have to say you are a great mother. Keep your work continuous and leave everything to god, sure sucess is your way. Do share us your gains and pains we are here to hear, appreciate and suggest. Hugs to you dear.

1 person likes this.
  6. indoc

indoc Gold IL'ite

@swetha...
    nice post... couldn't stop myself from appreciating your dedication and hard work... may God give you more strength..

sindmani and Swethasri like this.
  7. PriyaSrini

PriyaSrini Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

You are an amazing woman Swethasri :hatsoff. My wishes and prayers to you and your family. Am also glad you have the support your family needs there in the US.

You have been inspirational. God bless

1 person likes this.
  8. upfsabari

upfsabari IL Hall of Fame

Hugs to you dearie.... you are a great mother.. Happy to hear that your husband is also supporting you.. my prayers for your family.. I'm sure your kid will succeed in life..

Please keep sharing your routine, happiness, sorrows and whatever you feel like..

I'm bookmarking this page so that whenever I'm low (in ttc for the past 8 months) I will read this and get motivated... :)

1 person likes this.
  9. Swethasri

Swethasri Platinum IL'ite

Thanks friends.

Bhucat thanks for sharing about your relative. I actually wanted to meet Adult down syndrome parents. But here i am in a group which has mixed people so they motivate me and encourage me in all ways. all our fear is who will take care after to us. Ofcourse future is not in our hands. MARAM VAITHAVAN KATTAYAM THANNEER VIDUVAN. Acutually iam not doing anything big its all God's action that I am implementing his orders. Anyway if i start talking philosophy i wont stop. Thanks so much for your words.

Amma, is your friend living in India. What are the support she is getting? which city she is in? I know Down syndrome people are very friendly and they dont hurt anyone. My Boy is like that only he dont like even if I yell at others if will hold his ears and start crying so he is not accumulating any bad karma. I am happy for that. I always ask God to give me more strength to handle any kind of situation without loosing temper. Thanks for your words.

rajmyt, Thanks for your kind words.

Manju, Indoc, Priya, sabari Thanks a lot dears. All of your kind words are really helping in giving me an emotional strength. Thanks.

Sabari. All the best for you.

2 people like this.
  10. Swethasri

Swethasri Platinum IL'ite

Today was kind of OK day. My Boy is sick with cold and cough so i didnt send him to school. So he was always asking this and that all the day. I do not want them to watch TV all the day but like 1 or 2 hrs is ok in a day. Little one was keep on snatching thing from him so My Boy got very angry and complaining crying at times. So it was little stressful. couple of times yelling at both of them and immediately hold them made them sat together and play tunnel, blocks. My boy didnt had much interest in these things. so just kept him in my lap and had a conversation with him like yes or no questions, asked him to repeat alphabets. In the evening I asked him to lit lamp and heard all the prayers i had recited.

I was having heavy heart today. I dont know why. Somehow managed and the day went like that. May be because i watched today's episode in Mahangalum Adisayangalum. Even otherwise i was thinking how the life has changed, not like worrying but few things happened is happened you cannot change but definitely those changes are all for my wellness. I always thank God where I am now and what i have.Anyways I am feeling better now.

I want to talk about how My Boy communicates with me. We bought him tablet and loaded Jabtalk Application. So in that I loaded lots of pictures related to his day to day activity. So this App is basically Picture Exchange Communication System(PECS). I created folders like Food and Drink, Activities, Bathroom, Academics,..so each and every folder will have Pictures and My Boy can communicate like "I want Chappathi" or "I want Music". So this helps a lot to avoid frustration for me and also Him.

See you all in my next post.Bye.

5 people like this.