1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Journey With A Fibroid : To All Women And Men To Understand Plight Of Women

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sride, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Sride

Sride Bronze IL'ite

2014, I was conducting a workshop for the state government employees on water and sanitation. Around noon, i felt something odd in my body and i realized my clothes were wet with blood, I went home to change as it was my monthly cycle. Next day went to the doctor and she gave medication and was better. The heavy bleeding continued for another two years and one day fainted at work. I was bleeding for a month by then. I was rushed to the hospital and the gynaec wanted to run some tests. She confirmed I had a fibroid and cyst and advised surgery.

I went home for vacation planning hysterectomy. My gynaec and i scheduled the surgery and two days prior to it,she suggested a scan. The radiologist informed that I did not have firbroid but adenomyosis. The gynaec was happy and confirmed medication can help. I was relieved and she prescribed birth control pills to balance my hormone levels and I felt good for 6 months.

Post six months, I gained weight, my face bloated and my heavy menstrual cycle rerturned. I took some more medication by another gynaec. I started using these medicines to control the bleeding but problem was persisting with constant pain.

The pain took over my daily life causing anxiety, panic attacks and I was angry most of the time. I tried to smile but the pain never ceased . I could leave home only if i took pills to control the bleeding and was used to pain. My family did not understand my behaviour so they would tread light and talk nothing serious. They tried their best to keep me happy. I was confused not realizing what was happening in my body.

Two years passed by, i had another bout of my clothes getting drenched in blood in 2 minutes. I was living alone so ran to the clinic opposite my apartment and got medicine from the GP. I called a friend to rush home and left my door open. My body went into shock and i fainted. I was cold and was covered in blankets. When another friend came home, they wanted to take me to hospital. I was still resisting when I started shivering and had palpitations. My friends got scared wondering if I am having a seizure. It was midnight and so they called a male friend to drive us and few drivers from work too. It was a holiday week and all had same excuse-they were drunk. So, my friends helped me walk and hailed a cab. These friends took care of me until i traveled home for the hysterectomy.

I was taken to emergency and the doctor was surprised at my high bp and palpitations. She ran a scan and few blood tests. I was very anemic and scan showed that my fibroid had grown. She prescribed medications and few vials of tonic to increase my iron levels asap. I was asked to return next morning for further tests and was asked to consider surgery immediately. I informed the doctor i was working on a project and will think of it a month later.

Two days later, i met my regular gynaec and she suggested another scan.The radiologist looked at me quizically during the scan and asked if I dont feel any pain on the right side too. The look on his face told me it was a moment of worry. A few minutes later the nurse ushered me into the gynaec's office where the concerned doctor told me to decide on the date for surgery as my fibroid had grown to 6 cm and bigger than an apple were her exact words.

The seriousness dawned on me that I had neglected my health too long though with reasons of my own. Yet i asked if i can get it done a month later, she uttered a big NO and the surgery had to be scheduled before next monthly cycle. I reached out to my family who lovingly asked me to come home. My husband and mom met doctors to discuss the options as i did not want my ovaries removed. My first cousin, an oncologist agreed to operate on me at his hospital. The insurance approval went without a hitch. On the d-day, my cousin's wife, a gynaec herself was there to offer moral support. I was in the hospital for 4 days. My cousin too asked how did I neglect it so long. I had no answer. Seeing the pciture below made me understand the concerned look of the doctors. My family understood the reason for my anxiety and panic attacks.

Now its been a month since hysterectomy and back at work, my friends are taking care of me and one of them does all household chores for me. I am blessed with a loving family and friends. But along the way have antagonized few friends and they do not understand.

I am sharing my story so that women out there would know how vital it is to take care of their health and also to explain their condition to friends and colleagues. Most of us shy away and worsen the situation only to repent later.
    Sorry if the picture is traumatic but without it, will not be understood.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Omg..take care dear and get well soon..
    Yes we women are always putting ourselves as last priority...we should take good care of health by going for health checkup’s regularly and adopting healthy lifestyle...
    Health is first career is second...because we can work only if health is good...
    We should not neglect health to such a point that health becomes worse and we end up taking a long career break...
    I made a similar mistake of being casual with my health...
    I have some other health issue which I neglected, after undergoing so much pain and discomfort finally got it checked and undergoing treatment.
    How old are you?

3. MadhuRK

MadhuRK Silver IL'ite

Dear @Sride

Thank you very much for posting this intensely personal experience out here for all of us as a public service. I shuddered when I read your words and looked at the pictures. It also hit home in a strange way because my mom also had fibroids, got her uterus removed through a surgery after a very painful journey of 2+ years. What complicated matters was that she was a mom of 2 kids, wife and a full-time school teacher who went through the exact same journey as you did. She would be teaching in classes, constantly complain about painful periods with excessive bleeding. I can just barely fathom what she and you for that matter must've gone through.

Are fibroids genetic ? Also, what causes fibroids to begin with ? Is it stress ? or some other factor ? like badly-controlled blood sugar.

I agree with both of you @Sride and @Needtobestrong that we women needlessly act like super-women. Probably because we watch too many heroines of yesteryear movies, sacrifice a lot and neglect our health. Except instead of falling in the lap of a handsome hero and dying instantly, most of the women I know have trouble sitting down, climbing stairs or walking on their own to go and use the bathroom. Not at all glamorous getting old and being unhealthy.

I want to put my money where my mouth is:

1. I have been having recurrent black spots on my face, they look like lesions and scare me all the time. I'm going to get a dermatologist appointment ASAP and have it checked.
    2. I'm a stick-like thin person by nature, but I needlessly put on belly fat in the last year because of abandoning exercise and discipline. I'm going to re-start this today. Not going to wait for Jan-1.
    3. I have a high-risk for blood-sugar and my husband has an eternal sweet tooth. Like a dutiful wife (Saavithri for Sathyavaan types) I keep making sweets, buying sweets and generally stocking the house with sugar-based stuff. I'd much rather be an alive wife than a dutiful wife. No more sugar.
    4. I've started eating as a coping mechanism to fill the void in my life. Planning to stop that today. No more binge eating, junk eating. I'm going to eat moderately and fast regularly. I'm going to work for what I want, not wish for what I want.

More power to all the women out there.

4. Giri12

Giri12 Gold IL'ite

A lesson for all of us through ur story. Wish a very happy healthy life ahead. Journey looks really painful.

joylokhi likes this.
  5. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

@Sride,
    Very thoughtful of you to have brought out your story , so that it can benefit women in general. Theres no doubt we tend to neglect ourselves in the daily grind of family life, but it surely makes sense to look after ourselves if we really want to help ourselves and our families. Heres wishing your troubles are over now and you continue to have a wonderful healthy life ahead.

6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for sharing your story. All the best for a healthy life.