1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Journey to Botswana, Africa......

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by divyaparu83, Jun 11, 2009.

1. divyaparu83

divyaparu83 New IL'ite

11 June 2006… I got up in the morning all excited and a little bit tensed.

It was just the 3rd day of my wedding. We had spent 1 ½ days at my in-laws place and another 1 ½ days in my home. I was flying to a new place, a new continent, with a new husband. Hari was working in Botswana, Africa at the time of our marriage. I had met Hari only a week before my wedding; though we had communicated constantly over the internet.

It was not the first time I was leaving my home to be alone. I had moved to Chennai at the age of 18 for my higher studies while my parents were in Kerala. But to an entirely different continent, where I knew nothing of the language, culture, food, and people – I was all eager thinking about that. In my excitement about the journey I completely forgot to cry while leaving my parents.

Our first break of journey was at Dubai. There we checked into a hotel room as the connection flight is only after 13 hours. Hari’s friend & wife had come to pick us up and show around the city. Even at midnight they were driving us around Dubai; but both of us were dozing off due to the hectic schedule of marriage. They dropped us at the hotel and we left Dubai for our next journey to African continent.

Johannesburg was our next break. We did not have much time there; we had to rush to the next terminal for our flight to Gaborone, Botswana. While the two flights Kochi-Dubai-J’burg we had large airplanes, the one to Gabs was a much smaller one (later we used to call that “Scooter”).:rotfl

At last the next day after starting our journey we reached the small airport at Gabs. There was a group of Hari’s friends waiting there to receive us and also I could see a hoard of black people moving around the airport. That was my first encounter with the black people of Africa…