1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My House Becoming Transit Centre

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Vedhavalli, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

I agree courtesies are different. What I'm meaning is basic one, but she wants max of being here. One day siteseeing starts at 6.30...she sent me detailed itenary.
    I'm really annoyed.

2. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Do you feel obligated to take her around now that she is bringing a package? Or you would have been OK taking her around if your brother had been invited to her house and fed snacks?

I guess I am really having a hard time wrapping my head around why you can't just say it is inconvenient, if it was inconvenient in the first place. Or do you think people will think you're a bad person for saying no?

3. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

OP... sorry for the unrelated post... but have to ask... how do the mushrooms manage to retain shape? Mine get lost in the rice when I pressure cook them!!

This looks amazingly yum and I might just take you up on the invitation if you're serving me that :) I promise U will drive myself and not demand that I be taken around where you live or even ask for raita or chips to go with the biriyani ;-)

Rihana likes this.
  4. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

If you are in west coast , please find a Chinese tour and provide details.
    If you are in other cities ,find city tours and send details .
    Say it is not possible with kids and your husband being busy .

But be prepared to have an upset friend who may create post saying the friend after getting her package hand delivered is now going back on her word.

According to me you hosting her and feeding her is enough .

Start lowering her expectations now , reply to the 6:30 email and say great planing but you won't be able to accompany her and let her know that you are looking out for some tours.

If you can take her to one nearby place and be done with it

5. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Hosting and feeding? I don't think the friend's intention is to really inconvenience OP or to sight-see at the OP's expense. She is visiting for work and happens to know someone in the area and thinks it'd be nice to catch up and do a few things in the process. I seriously can't read anything deeper than this!

OP, you should just say you are busy that weekend and leave it at that. It seems like people visiting you is hardly a joyful experience for you. It seems to add more stress to your life, what with all these expectations you have. Just figure out how to collect that package from her.

6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

OP says the itinerary starts at 6:30 am. Given that the friend expects/needs a ride to the airport, it is implicit that she expects OP to accompany her on the sight seeing. No deep reading required. : )

The package has acquired bigger import in the situation than intended by OP. Even without the package and its pickup arrangement in the picture, the friend is having unrealistic expectations that OP will take her out, and that she will get a ride to airport, and that OP will spend money that friend will later repay to her Indian account. If friends use house for overnight stay and a light breakfast and one or two meals and are mostly gone for sightseeing, and take cab/Uber to/from airport, most people will like to host and catch up on old times.

7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I made it a while back (before Vedhavalli posted her recipe). I used this recipe: Mushroom biryani recipe | How to make easy mushroom biryani recipe which coincidentally talks about how to keep the mushrooms from becoming mushy. Says to add boiling hot water to rice and mushroom mix, not cold water. So, water has to be boiled separately. Made it in pan, not IP.

LOL. : ) all this talk of food is making me hungry. Will go buy banana chips or tapioca chips. I do make a nice different kind of raita though. With tadka. The secret is that the zeera (cumin seeds) are heated in oil for just the right amount of 'brown-ness'. And I put lots of curry leaves, though I remove most before serving. And black salt.

Vedhavalli, I will not pretend that I am sorry to hijack thread. : ) Thank you for mentioning mushroom biryani. Better-half liked it even when I made it the first time. We had dinner early, and he took second/third helping.

Sunshine04 and peartree like this.
  8. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

If I say NO, she will make a long face
    It's not about the parcel, usually my parents ship from India as much as 20kg. This small parcel isn't a big deal.
    It's not about sharing address but they want all favours. Your not getting my point. She called me many times in odd hours. Blah blah I was so willing now I feel bad.

9. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

The mushroom biryani stole the thunder !

10. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

OK. I still don't get your point, but okay!!