1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My grandmother was my Role Model

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Oct 26, 2010.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My mother was a simple woman. After finishing her work she will be sitting and reading the prayer books. She herself could not do without her mother even after becoming a mother.

Our grandmother only brought us up and we were all very attached to our grandmother. She was very strict at the same time she was loving. Any dishes we ask for she will immediately prepare and give us.

She will go to the shops and buy things and talk to them in tamil only. She was very independent.

I knew the trick of keeping her happy . Those days ladies were not allowed to go out after sunset. If we go also we should be back by then. If we are late she wont shout but will not talk to us.

She used to tell us all the happenings in her native place. But that time I did not give so much importance to that because I didnot know that my husband will be from her place only. Otherwise I could have told about the people there to my husband. So sad.

Myself and she went to Delhi for my sister's delivery. She stayed back to look after my sister and her child as my sister was working and I came back as I had to go to office.

When she was in Delhi she got cancer and immediately she came back to Hyderabad as we were there at that time. She wanted to be with us during her last days. She suffered a lot and I thank God that I had the opportunity of taking care. Whatever I am today I owe it to her . With her blessings only I got a good husband and lovely children.

For my sister's marriage to happen properly she prayed to Lord Vinayaka that she will make 1001 kozakattai and she made also.

To me she used to say I wont be living long so you have to pray for yourself .

She was really a great woman.

2. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Wow...It was so nice to read about your grand mom...Though she is not with you now, her blessings will always be with you...That is what I believe with my grandma...I felt so bad she will not be with me when I marry, but her wishes will be with me...

3. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Nice post. I began reminiscing about my (g)olden days with Paati. I love her a lot. My mom tells me that more than her (amma), I have acquired the traits of my paati. In drawing kolams, in cooking, in making sweets and savouries. When I was in college, I used to make modhaks nicely like her. I very fondly remember her during all the festivals, for it is by observing her throughout that I have learnt many things in life. Even the 9 yds saree, which my nanadhs say I am an expert in tying, I learnt from her only.

Thank you paati and Aunty for this blog.

4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Ice dear ya my grandma's blessings are always with me , good to know that you were also attached to your grandma. She will bless you from up

love
    viji

5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Anuradha dear

welcome tomy thread thanks for your fb

love
    viji

6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Mallika dear

Reading this I feel like seeing you. Dont know when we will get a chance to see each other. I am very anxious to see you because you seem to be an all rounder. Lucky are Sudha and Hari to get a mom like you. God bless you

love
    viji