1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My First Date

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by prathi, May 18, 2006.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Friends,
    With the permission of induslady, I am moving this old thread originally posted in Forwards,to Snippets, more to "kick start " the discussion on the topic "My First Date" all over again. When this was posted, there were less members. Now that the no: has swelled, I am sure more ILites will find this thread interesting & share their experiences.

Love,
    Chithra.

2. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi Dear all,
    I don't remember my first date even......
    In fact, my hubby and me were Ph.D. Students (he was 4 years senior to me then) in the same lab, but then my hubby was strong against me joining the lab as he was leaving within a year and the Supervisor was really stupid in all aspect.....
    So, I used to remain glued to my senior (now hubby) for all my experiments and we used to go to resturants so often for launch (I prefer to drive my own scooty-pep rather than sitting behind others).....then after seven months I proposed to him on my B'Day, so that he will not dare to hurt me on my B'Day (he was too stupid to propose and I didn't want to loose him as he was leaving for USA soon).....
    Then, we went to so many sight seeing places with each other......but I can still say that he is not romantic as filmy heroes though he is so smart and dashing......but always talk abt wild life and nature/world wars (his passion), even you people won't believe that we went to the zoo more frequently than any other places and he will tell me all the animal behavior/why they are so and so......(disadvantage of marrying a scientist).
    Then he came to USA and went back after one year to marry me and now we are together here.......
    Now, I can see some changes in him (he is a little more romantic now) and in myself (I developed lot of interest watching all these DVDs from Nature/Nat-Geo).......so life is going cool...............

3. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello,
    Nice thread!!
    Meeta, you made me to remember by old days at HP (Hewlett Packard, Banglore) where myself and my husband were working.
    Off course, we were in different teams. One day I saw him that he is watching me indirectly.... later he came and started talking to me and slowly went out for coffee, snacks, lunch , movies .
    Later my project was ended at HP and my company forced me to apply for H1b.
    Seeing that my husband also applied for H1b without my knowledge.
    When we both got visa's approved, he proposed me and later we told to our parents.
    Got married, went together to Chennai for stamping and both of us got stamped together.

~Punitha

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

First date..everyday was a date....because we worked together, me in the computer section and veda in the accounts section...those heated arguments, (people thought we were going to kill each other..)...went off for coffee together.in the evening..had been to movies, to places mostly temples...not to forget sitting on the beaches and talking and arguing until the hostel timings....
    we got married after 2+ years of working together.....so almost everyday was a date..to the extent when i went to the hotel for coffee, the bearer will bring one more cup..even without my asking..knowing veda will be following me:mrgreen:.....half my salary used to be spent on coffee....shakeheadshakeheadshakehead.

Wow those days...so long ago.....

5. sowmyapbhat

sowmyapbhat Senior IL'ite

My first date was with my husband, who had come down from the US for a week to see me and get the engagement done with. We had been chatting on the Internet for some months, and had spoken to each other several times on the phone, but seeing each other in person was a totally different thing!

I was rather tongue-tied and instead of being my usual chatty self, I spoke a few sentences and hoped others would carry on the conversation, so that I could discreetly observe him instead! :)

That evening we went out to a popular street in Bangalore, where there are shopping and dining options aplenty. I wasn't really aware of the places frequented by young couples, since till then I had only been to 'family' restaurants with my parents! :-D So we walked into this place in an upmarket mall, where a sign on the door said 'Couples Only'. Immediately I remarked, 'It's for couples only, let's go somewhere else'! The host at the door began to laugh, saying 'You look like a couple to me, madam!'

It takes a while to get used to the feeling of being a couple, and that I realized on my memorable first date!

6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Prati,

I am very moved by yr article.I have utmost respect and regards for yr dad, and hemust be a great person.You are lucky to have him as ur dad, and heis lucky to have u as his son.Why ? Because u recognized the greatness of yr dad, which not many people do, and take such things for granted.

Lovely peice,god always bless u and yr family.Regards.kamal

7. karuth

karuth New IL'ite

Hi Sowmya,
    It was really nice when I read what your remarks were. heehee...You had been a sweet little girl , going for a date not still accepting that you were a couple...

Friends,
    I am not sure if mine can be called a date..;)...you all decide.

Arun's family and my family planned for a meetup in a temple after verifying 'jadagam match' ,'photo' etc...to make us meet and confirm everything..The week before we met I got an email from HIM.It said 'guess who'....I guessed it right.And we exchanged formal mails before even we saw each other.Then our families met and we were given few minutes to talk in person...guess what.....Meeta's situation would have been definitely better..... I had to do conversations about in which travels I came and where our common friend was working Rant........hmm...this is our first meet.How interesting is it?heehee.(true. we are more relaxed than guys.)

4 months to marriage.I was working in Chennai and my hubby in bangalore...:(...we did some 10 mails daily for all 4 months.....Our 'outlook express' checkmails button would have lost all its paint if it was in keyboard.....Guess this time about what we mailed...about schooling and job matters and GK......heehee...

Then I saw him for the second time in our wedding....then only started seeing him daily and went out for datings in Bangalore...:-|...Are these dates?..hmm..So I could make it not any more interesting than this.

bubye,
    Karthika.

8. sowmyapbhat

sowmyapbhat Senior IL'ite

Dear Karthika,

I am so glad you found my write-up funny ! :) I found your dates to be a very nice blend of modern and traditional practices! E-mail provided the necessary ambience and setting for your date! :cheers

May you continue to have such wonderful moments in your life,

Cheers,
    Sowmya

9. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

I dont remember the dates... Forget the first......... me & shan used to work in the same office... Fight a lot and in the evening try to patch up with a cup of coffee... Now looking at various peoples experiences.... I seriously think, I should start all over again.... I should start dating... Shan, what do you say?????....

10. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Oh, every one's experience is absolutely different. It was a real great idea Mrs CV to give a card. (Hope Mr. V still preserves the card).

My first date....... Oh, after all the Jathakam exchange, my inlaws visited me(my MIL is my Athai Paati's close friend right from school) and then they decided that let us (me and Arun) meet in some restaurant (WTR in T.Nagar near Panagal park is the place where my two bils met their respective wives so sort of Aagi(vi) vantha place). My inlaws came to see me on 2nd July 1997 (it was a Friday) and we met on 4th July 1997 (it was a Sunday).

My parents, my brother and 4 of my uncles accompanied me; he was accompanied by his eldest brother and family. (He still used to tease me, I thought I came to see you but, I just saw a battalion lined up to see me). Infact all my uncles came with us just to see how Rajam Mami's (my MIL) youngest son looks. My MIL is very close to my grandparents and uncles too.

We were given a separate table when all others sat at the end of the restaurant. I was so tense right from the morning and I didnot eat my lunch properly too. There was a grumbling sound in my stomach and thought of having something when we talked. (He didnot talk much during our first meeting). He had just a plate of Bonda and said I am done. OMG I cant say I am hungry and want to eat some more. Had to get up with him to wash my hands. My mom followed us and asked me my opinion and I said OK. She had the guts to ask him directly too. And he too said, yeah its fine. (Now he teases me, when cornered near the wash area and asked whether you like my daughter or not what do you expect me to tell).

But after that too our engagement took place only on 27th of August. Till that time, whenever we went out, we were accompanied either by my brother or by one of my cousins. But after the engagement till the marriage, either he comes to my place and we go out or I go home and we go out. We never went to malls or any other place, just take a bus from terminus to terminus and keep talking and talking and come back in the same bus.

Infact given a chance we prefer doing that rather than going to some hill stations.