1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My First Date

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by prathi, May 18, 2006.

1. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

Editor's Note: We love this story! Thank you Prathi for sharing it with us. This story about our member’s ‘first date’ has been selected as best of forums. Congratulations! Dear IL'ites, do read it and share your story with us too.

------------

by: PRASUN ROY

Dear Friends,
    With the permission of induslady, I am moving this old thread originally posted in Forwards,to Snippets, more to "kick start " the discussion on the topic "My First Date" all over again. When this was posted, there were less members. Now that the no: has swelled, I am sure more ILites will find this thread interesting & share their experiences.
    Love,
    Chithra.

I still remember the first date I ever went on in my life. Usually first dates are memorable to everyone but for me it was something that I can never forget. I went out for my first date with my high school crush when I was in class eleven. It was a day that I planned for weeks and finally she, Rachna, agreed to come out with me, Prasun Roy! In school who was famous for being a person with a cool attitude with no constraints from the family end, whose parents were more of buddies than dominating guardians! However the fact remained that I too was from a middle class family with core values and principles like all others.

Back home I lied to my parents that I was going out for a school excursion and managed to get the approval of my parents and finally the day arrived.

After a short lunch at a funky restaurant, Rachna and I went hand in hand for a romantic movie.

Even in the darkness of the theatre hall I went lost in her blue eyes, glossy lips and hair that could drown ships bigger than the Titanic, maybe!

She was the princess who was the incarnate of Diana, the goddess of love, for me and I hardly concentrated in the movie. Getting lost in her presence was more lucrative than the stars gleaming in the wide screen of the theatre.

We enjoyed the day in each other's presence and time seemed to pass with flights of fantasy for me. As the evening was drawing to a close we were roaming in the streets of "New Market" talking to each other, about each other. Life suddenly seemed so beautiful.

All of a sudden out of the forgotten multitude that was also walking in the same street I could see a familiar face quite distinct, why I didn't know.

As realization embraced my consciousness I comprehended that the face of the person approaching me from the other side was of none other than but my FATHER!

Within a fraction of a second all romanticism vanished from my heart and a fear engrossed it instead. I could interpret in that short time the amount of humility and shame I would face suddenly as my father would recognize me, scold me after we meet, and that was inevitable! Apart from the scorn that I would face at home, I could also feel the embarrassment I would face in front of Rachna, who recognized as the cool guy . in school as well as back home!

Crippled with the fear I only prayed that the earth would open up and I would hide there from all the humility. However there seemed no practical escape from it. Then some thing happened.

My father came near me, along with the now not-so-forgotten multitude, looked into my eyes as a stranger and passed by me rubbing his shoulder against mine and passed by without even recognizing me. It was the biggest shock and relief of my life. I still don't know which emotion was predominant at that moment.

After sometime, Rachna went away to her home oblivious of the fact what ever I just revealed, and I came back to mine.

At home that night, life seemed to me like a prison. I went for dinner with a fearful heart and a lost appetite. To my surprise, everything was so very normal. My mother served dinner and we all ate the usual way. This made my life more miserable. I quickly finished my food and went back to my room.

Questions crowded my mind and I couldn't figure out what might have happened after my father came back home and revealed about my forged romantic rendezvous. Why everything was still so normal pained my mind even more!

Presently my father calmly came into my room and sat beside me. I looked into his eyes with fear in mine but discovered a smooth comfort in his! He soothingly asked, "So Sunny Boy, how was your date, I must say she was a pretty and sweet lady!"

Like somewhat mesmerized I revealed everything to him about my first date and added, "Dad, it was simply out of this world, but the day passed away life a few minutes only!"

He smiled and said, "You know what, Albert Einstein once said ... Put your hand on a hot oven for a minute and it would seem like and hour; sit with a pretty lady for an hour and it would seem like a minute! Now that's relativity. Its all relative, the fact is how much you cherish what you gained . RIGHT! This is the biggest lesson of life my son"

I had never seen my father being like this before; he was more of a buddy than my guardian actually. I could feel within me that I would never ever be able to hide anything else from him, he actually understood me much more than my own self.

We talked for an hour and I would remember those words forever perhaps! I couldn't interpret whether it was my First Date with my dream girl or the First Date of knowing my father actually. However I knew that I realized how much I loved and respected my father after that. Just as he was leaving my room I called him and said "Thank You daddy! Thank you so much!"

Both of us knew what I was thankful for and required no mentioning. He turned towards me with his dreamy eyes and said these words.

"Hey son, how could I ever let you down my child, never! I would just say, whatever happens in life and whomever you love in your life and to whatever degree, you only remember one thing that your Daddy has loved you 18 years more than that. 18 years more than that dear!"

He switched off the light and went to his room. In the mild blue and gray of the moonlight ushering into my room through the window I too could feel one thing . Yes, its truly 18 more years of Love, I, or any child, can never ever cover up! It was in fact my First Date, the first one of actually realizing the Love I had taken for granted for all those Eighteen Years perhaps! It truly was so.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2014
    2 people like this.

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

you strumed a chord, Prathi

Dear Prathi,

That was a sweet piece, you always come up with interesting pieces be it dating or technology. How true, we often forget that our parents know and love us longer and more than others.

And this brought to mind, my first date which was a day after my engagement. We went to Siddhi Vinayak temple as our very first outing since my husband is a Ganesh bhakt. And then had sabudanavada and piyush, roamed around Marine drive and had club sandwich in Taj.

Ah, good old days, Prathi and thanks to you remembered them now.

love
    Vidya

3. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

hm..sweet memories!

Dear vidya,

I was moved to read wat u had to share about ur first date :) That was sweet. Like you, I too went out on my first date a day after our engagement and we too went out to a temple, it was ISCKON. The light drizzle made a perfect setting ! Then after some chaats, we went to his house and we sat and spoke for hours before my "would be" MIL gave a call for dinner!!! Cupid's arrow zoomed through my heart reading ur post!!!

4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Ha ha ha - this senior citizen is talking !

Dear young friends,
    I still feel so nostalgic when I remember my first date - yes, it did happen in my life as well ! I am so SHY that I can never reveal the details !!! But, can't help saying that it does spark a flash, still ! Keep on guessing !!!
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

5. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

come on, Mrs C, don't do this to us!

Dear Mrs C,

You can't do this to us. Can't stir our curiosity and leave us guessing about what it was like. And honestly, your generation dated with more style and class than ours. I have heard my parents and uncles/aunts say that 'dating' was more a collective affair, whole families accompanied the couple on dates.

I remember an amusing narrative written by Crazy Mohan abt his honeymoon in Bangalore. Apparently, the whole family, all those who came for the wedding went with them for the honeymoon. And he had to hunt out his wife now and then and exchange a few monosyllables with her.

Looking forward to some details now.

affectionately
    Vidya

PS: My second date, we went to Mahalakshmi temple, third date Fanaswadi Balaji temple. Prathi has started a good thing here, can feel my marriage getting rejuventaed as I write.

6. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

No Guessing !!

Dear Mrs Chithra,

I protest. You cant keep us guessing. We want to hear more from u..Like vidya said u might have all enjoyed more. My father used to pick my mother from her office and they used to go to watch movies almost everyday!

Vidya noted about ur consecutive dates..cool..we did go around but not for long as ours was a case of "chat mangni pat bihaa", within 20 days from our first encounter we were married!! howzzat!

this is getting more interesting and as a result of Mrs.C's latest inputs it will be more so..

7. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Well, feeling less shy, now !

Dear Vidya,
    We both went by car with the driver. I was relaxed & expected him to sit at the back with me, by my side ! But, alas, he was so shy - promptly plonked himself near the driver ! First shock for me - one of many to come !!
    In the restaurant, it was talk about international events, to my next shock !
    When coming back also, without giving me a second glance, promptly sat almost hugging the driver !!!
    When getting down, he just offered to shake hands - atleast that dawned on him. Poor me, had gone ready with a beautiful card. So when he extended his hands, I just thrust the card in his hands, which he did'nt expect & was shocked ! May be he thought after talking about national & international events, I was giving him a letter !
    So he literally snatched the card & released my hand . What do you think of this - date or otherwise ?
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

8. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

really sweet

Dear Mrs C,

I think your first date was perfect- sweet, tender, with a tinge of shyness and decent. The card idea was fantastic, a bit sad that I did not think of it on my first date. And about uncle sitting in the front seat and shaking your hand- what a gentleman. How things have changed now! My nieces go out on many, many dates mostly on a screeching, speeding bike, and usually it is to Gangotree or Alsa Mall or JLT.

Coming to think of it, I think on the first date, the guy ends up being more shy/reserved/restrained.

Prathi- lucky you, getting married in 20 days. We waited seven months, since there was no muhurtam, no hall, no leave for husband. So, actually I can write upto 30 dates precisely since I maintained a diary. But will save you all the torture.

Good listening to all this.
    cheers
    VR

9. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

Sweet of you to share with us

Dear Mrs. C,

It was nice to read through ur first date. Real sweet of u to give a card and ur sense of humour as always is great like in "sat almost hugging the driver !!!". First dates make men more to be on gaurd i think!! We women seem to be more relaxed always!

Vidya: U can reproduce all the 30 dates if u want to. I wont mind it the least. I am sure it will make a romantic read :) haha..

10. AGR

AGR Bronze IL'ite

Re:

Hi Chitraji

Just like you even I gave a card to my hubby……..its not that I was really romantic………but I had no clue as to what I can give him ……….I gave this to him when he came 2 c me in my office (that time my office was in spencer plaza)….and the card was a personaliised card in the sense I can choose the design and write whatever I want to write and I can take the printout in a greeting card…….and for my first date my hubby had got a dress for me from Calcutta and I was the first to sit behind his brand new 2 wheeler……had been to the arupadai veedu and besant nagar beach………..though like vidya we had 6 mths to go before our marriage we talked more over the phone………..Hmmm...sweet memories right.........