1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Favourite Balcony

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rvnachar, Aug 17, 2013.

1. rvnachar

rvnachar Silver IL'ite

This piece appeared as a middle in the Deccan Herald issue dated 14th August, 2013:

I spent the best part of my life in a particular house and I can never forget the golden moments of those fifteen years forever. Though the house in itself was a very simple old-fashioned house with nothing special to boast about, there was something in that house that made it a real ‘home’ to not only me but my parents and all my siblings. Though all of us have settled down in much bigger houses with so many modern amenities, we love to relive those lovely years of our lives.
    The best part of that house was its balcony and all of us spent the major portion of our wakeful hours there. Those days, we had no television to keep us glued indoors. This balcony served as our window to the outside world. We loved spending time there, watching the children play around on the street, passersby, neighbours going around their errands, hawkers, the few vehicles that passed by our street, the street dogs and cats and so many more interesting things.
    Since we had no fans those days, we used to spend a couple of hours in our balcony before going to bed during summers to enjoy the cool breeze, buy ‘thati nungu’ and fresh jasmine flowers, which were sold late in the night after they arrived by the Chennai-Bangalore Express, watch the stars and meditate, listening to the distant noises like some music played somewhere, barking dogs and sounds made by insects.
    This balcony served as the refuge for me whenever I was depressed. I found solace in sitting there, stretching my legs and brooding over the past. Similarly, when I was happy, that was the place I ran to.
    We chatted for hours with our neighbours, standing on that balcony. I loved sitting there and cleaning the foodgrains, as many birds like sparrows and mynas used to come and pick the grains and insects, which was a sight that could be enjoyed for hours.
    We used to open the main door at six in the morning and never shut it till eleven in the night except for a couple of hours, when my mom took a nap in the afternoon with all of us gone away. We used to feel claustrophobic to stay indoors without viewing our balcony. This was the place even for recording our moments by way of photographs. We have many beautiful pictures clicked here.
    The neighbourhood was a very friendly neighbourhood and children used to enter any house without any hesitation, as they were showered with love. During festivals the entire street used to wear a grand look, with women and children going around from house to house in their best attire to offer prayers and receive prasadam.
    Today, as I pass by that street, I can see only vehicles plying there. The doors of all houses are closed and in fact many houses have been razed and multistoried apartment complexes have been built. Children no more play on the streets, as firstly, there are not that many children and secondly, since it is no more safe. The balcony of the house that we lived in has been closed and annexed to the living room. The entire street looks forlorn.
    Home is not just a concrete structure. It carries a lot of sweet, sour and bitter memories in all its corners. I miss my favourite balcony a lot!

Sudha Narasimhachar

2. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

I had read this and liked it very much, I think we all have some such favourite corner which is special to us. Thanks,
    Lakshmi