My experiments in Kitchen!!! :-)

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by AnanyaAjay, Nov 10, 2011.

1. AnanyaAjay

AnanyaAjay Silver IL'ite

Hey friends,

I would be using this thread to share my experiments (tried and tested (tasted?)) in my kitchen.

Please provide your FBs and you are most welcome to share your experiments too!!! :)

First one goes STEAMED VADA: (For Spuppala) :)

All you need:

1 cup Rice flour/jowar flour
    1 -2 sp on ragi flour
    1/4 cup gram dal
    1/4 cup split urad dal
    1 sp of methi seeds
    1" ginger
    3-4 green chillis
    1/4 bunch of coriandre leaves
    3-4 curry leaves
    1 pinch hing
    1 sp jeera
    salt to taste
    2 -3 sp oil
    3/4 cup water

All you have to do is:

Soak overnight all the dals together. Grind together with green chillis, coriander leaves, jeera, curry leaves, hing, grated ginger & salt, to a coarse paste. Do not make it a very fine paste.

Take a vessel and add water, 2 sp oil and a little salt into it. Bring water to boil. Put off the heat. Put the rice flour and ragi flour to it. Donot mix immediately. and after a min, stir it fast and prepare a dough. When its cool, knead the dough nicely applying oil to your hands.

Take ball of dough and expand it with your hands to a poori size. Stuff the ground paste into it and seal it properly (shapes doesn't matter, you can do any shape). Now take the idli stand or a steamer if you have and place all the stuffed vadas into it. Steam for 15 min's.

You can add less/more chillis as per your taste.

Tip: If you do not have much time to do all stuffing, you can directly add the paste to dough and knead again, and make vadas from hand (just take a ball and expand it to a dal-wada size) and steam.
    But stuffed ones taste better to me, than this. But this as well is a good quick version, tastes good.

5 people like this.

2. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

Ananya,

Am very happy to this baked version vada specially for me :) Thanks a lot dear...

coming to the recipe..

Will rice flour and ragi flour bind together when we make a dough?Is that mandatory to cover the vadas with this dough?

Steamed vadas -i have never heard of them and really good option to avoid oil ..Thanks for the idea..
    Keep posting your recipes dear..Would love to know more ..

2 people like this.
  3. AnanyaAjay

AnanyaAjay Silver IL'ite

Hey

glad u liked it. Yeah, its just 2 sp of ragi flour, they bind together nicely. you can also use jowar flour if u get it in your place.

no, its not mandatory at all. You can use the quick version to avoid stuffing. (mixing the paste in the dough)

Or, if you find anything more creative & tasty& easy, plz share it here :) Its welcome..

Anyways we experiment in our kitchen day-to-day.. ;-) :)

4. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

Oh..thats good..nw that all doubts are cleared..i would experiment doing them soon :)
    Yeah sure dear will post definitely for you :)

Thanks again for the recipe..my DH is really troubling me a lot by not having his Breakfast :) i got one good recipe form you :)

1 person likes this.
  5. upfsabari

upfsabari IL Hall of Fame

Wow.. Thats so easy and good for health Ananya.. My Dh's birthday is on the way.. So will prepare this as a special dish.. :)
    Thank you so much for the recipes.

1 person likes this.
  6. AnanyaAjay

AnanyaAjay Silver IL'ite

Sabari,

Great to hear that!!! yeah please try this and let me know how you liked it :) And ur hubby too :)

7. swee2

swee2 Silver IL'ite

hey ananya.. I too did'nt hear about steamed vadas.. nice recipe to avoid oil as deep fried vadas after some time become so oily that it is not at all good to eat!! i am sure the recipe sounds so good & definitely tastes also good.. thnx ananya for posting.. looking forward to see more of your experiments..please keep posting !! tc & cheers.. ;-)

1 person likes this.
  8. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Wow Ananya...,
    Is this kudsidkadubu?
    It is a real novel variety I will tryb it dear...Thanks for sharing...Pls post girmitt recipe your version..

1 person likes this.
  9. AnanyaAjay

AnanyaAjay Silver IL'ite

Oh thanks vjb for your fb... No its not kudisid kadubu but a very similar version of it!! i learnt it from one of my aunt who is from Tumkur.

Oh I love Girmit but I have done it lot of times, but every time I end up in a different taste... I try to make it like the one which we get in Durgad bail (hubli) but I never got still :-(

He gives that fried green chilli with it I just LOVE it!!!!

1 person likes this.
  10. swee2

swee2 Silver IL'ite

hey also the vadas that u mentioned are multi grained!!! Lots of nutritive value.. Nice yaar.. Ananya!!!

1 person likes this.