1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My experiment with fasting....

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Mindian, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Thqat was a good decision anyways, Kelly dear to reply to a fasting post on a full stomach.shows that you have your priorities right hahaha.

Oh my, fasting on your wedding Day?... Unthinkable.what do they Want? The woman to fall unconscious at the man's Feet? Hmmm, no wonder you have high regards for your FIL :)

I think it is there in ours too, at least least during the morning rituals but I got married on a full stomach ,hahaha

2. sapthu02

sapthu02 Gold IL'ite

I fast on tuesday and friday where tuesday its NOn - non veg fast and two times eating and fridays on no salt or sour diet.. wow thats tough to handle

3. srims

srims Bronze IL'ite

I believe on fasting and started doing it from my 10th std, but my mom stopped me since I felt very weak those days. when I entered my coll (1985) again I started doing it. I will take a glass of milk in the morning and a vege meal for lunch (this i practiced for 25 yrs). I am 45 yrs old now, nowadays I take a glass of oats replacing milk in the morning with the same veg meal and a glass of milk for dinner. I am a believer of both god and fastings and I do pooja regularly on fridays.
    srims....!

4. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

thanks sapthu for joining me here.:)
    wow!!!! no salt and sour things ?? that does sound very very tough.:)

5. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

thanks for joining me here, srims and sharing your fasting diet too.:)

6. lathaviswa

lathaviswa IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    Its a nice post on fasting.
    Before marriage i never tried all these in my life.
    Recently i have started fasting on Sankatahara chathurthi.The very 1st day itself i felt very hard(should not say this)i felt i was missing something the day was too long.I used think when the next day will fall to have food.The 1st time i am not able to chant slogam too.
    Nowadays i don't feel all this except full of energy on this particular day.Never felt the day is long.
    Expecting Ganesha will bless be.

7. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Hi Mindian,

When I was around 20 I used to fast on every thiruvonam star (once in 27 days). This is only no salt fasting. My mom used to remind me the day, so it was easy. At some point I left it. My fil observes fast on every ekadasi day. He will drink only moong dhal kanji at around 11 am (limited), then 2 bananas and milk in the night. He is observing this for at least 50 years now. For sashti he used to fast for all six days. Only on seventh day he will have rice.

Now coming to my fasting, every time I decide I want to fast, I would have forgotten the day I have to fast or I will have my natural cause of having my periods or I may have to go for a marriage / reception where I cannot go around saying I am on fast to hear so many comments. (FYI our marriage was on ekadasi and my fil was on fast.) I don't have such will power. During this year's sashti I along with my husband were fasting. He was able to complete all six days, but for me my periods started on 5th day which was at least 4 days earlier than expected. Really that was frustrating.

So now I started saying even God doesn't want me to fast. He knows how hard working I am and blesses me even without fasting. I told my hubby "your six days fasting is equivalent to my 4 days fasting" Ha Ha Ha

Regards
    Manjukps

8. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

thanks latha.your post proves that everything is just a habit.our body just gets used to a certain quantity of food, I guess.:)

9. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Hin manju,

thanks for sharing some tips here. I totally agree with you on your last point. After all, arent spouses supposed to have half of the punyam ???:)

10. kottravai

kottravai Gold IL'ite

Mindi,
    My view on fasting - I don't even think about it! I have an unspoken arrangement with God, that I'll not do fasting, come what may! And it seems God is ok with it, because God has not let me go hungry. Maybe its because my fav is Lord Ganesh! A foodie God for a foodie, eh! Food is my life-source, my therapy! My love for food is so much that I salivate just at reading food related posts. So, fasting is one thing I dread to even think of. And in this, I follow Shirdi Sai Baba's teachings on not to pray on an empty stomach - the mind will keep thinking of food instead of focussing on the divine. I go with what Satchi, Vijima and others say - my life is one long feast!!! :) :) :)